Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diesel, sticky throttle
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
embraertech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Diesel, sticky throttle Reply with quote

Hey guys, looking for suggestions to fix an annoying problem with my 82 Vanagon Diesel. The throttle lever sticks on the injector pump and it makes my van sound bad. When I shift gears it revs up until it snaps back to normal ( 2-3 seconds) I checked the cable and it moves freely when it is disconnected so for sure it the injector pump. I have lubed the lever which works for about a week, than sticks again. It seems to get better after the engine has warmed up but not always. I am going to try a new return spring but beyond that I am not sure what else I can do with it.
Any ideas? I like having the cruise control but it's not so handy when you have to try and stop for school crossings Laughing

ET
jmfoust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a strange thought. The lever isn't sticking to any of the insulation on the underside of the engine cover is it? Can you reproduce the the sticky lever syndrome (SLS) by hand with the cable disconnected? Something doesn't seem right.

jamie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
embraertech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is strange cuz with cable disconnected it is still sticky. There seems to be ample spring tension as well but I guess after 25 years a new spring won't hurt....
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I owned a diesel westy I had the same issue. Squirting the whole lever mechanism real good would work for a bit. Then it would get bad again. I seem to remember there being two springs on that thing. My pedal was a mutha to press down so I removed one spring and left one on. Seemed to help. If your springs are off, is the lever easyier to move around? I left one off for good and my pedal seemed to work nicer. Not sure if that would help but I sprayed sprayed sprayed lube and then left some all purpose grease on it and it seemed to do OK.

tj

Come visit my web site!
http://www.vwhippie.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
embraertech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my next question, does anyone know who has bits and pieces for the injector pump. Can't find anything on line.
Johnagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the lube, lube ,lube idea. But I know a Guy that'll say your the only answer to your problem is to get rid of that smelly van (I bet it's Yellow !!)and get your self a proper classic air cooled that won't give you so many problems.
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnagon wrote:
I like the lube, lube ,lube idea. But I know a Guy that'll say your the only answer to your problem is to get rid of that smelly van (I bet it's Yellow !!)and get your self a proper classic air cooled that won't give you so many problems.

And I would answer to that person diesel vanagons fetch more $$ than aircooled models (in the cases I see) and are very collectible as folks now understand alternative tools is the future and these old diesels can run biodiesel or with mods, straight veggie oil. I wish my Syncro Westy was a diesel!

If lube lube lube does not help for longer than a week, I would bet places out there can rebuild this pump. Make sure to join the diesel vanagon Yahoo group as there are some long time members there that know there stuff. You can also find some dead diesel rabbit someplace and steal the pump but those levers are different so you would need to remove the levers I think to make it all work.

tj

Come visit my web site!
http://www.vwhippie.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
embraertech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
embraertech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Johnagon, in referance to you comment from the air-cooled guy. Who's smelly yellow van tows him around when he forgets his keys! Laughing
1982Diesel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Same problem here... Reply with quote

I have the same sticky "speed control lever" on injector pump (IP) of my '82 diesel vanagon. This afternoon I took the assembly apart. It consists of 2 springs, 2 metal guilds for the springs, a thin washer and the speed control lever which attaches to the accelerator cable. I cleaned, lightly greased, and went to re-assemble, but I don't know where the speed control lever 'knotches' into the speed control knob that sticks out of the IP. Plus this speed control knob clicks up and down by about 1/2 cm inside the IP. Upon reassembly, my van would no start. Ideas???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get the lever oriented to the shaft in exactly the same relative position?
1982Diesel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, when push/pull the speed control knob of the IP up and down I see the little air bubbles in the fuel line (from Filter to IP) move. Does this mean that my pump still primed? My pump also leaks fuel from the underside seal where the cold start knob is, but it was running fine earlier today before I got to messing with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
Did you get the lever oriented to the shaft in exactly the same relative position?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: