Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission Leak
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
enlitnmnt28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Transmission Leak Reply with quote

Sorry I didnt get time to search out to see if there was already a topic. I just signed up and am heading to work.

Ok so here is the problem. Im looking at a Vanagon GL 1990. Its in great shape other than a tranny leak. I havent seen the leak as I am about 5hrs from the van, but im interested in it.

Any ideas on this? I do know that it is supposedly not leaking where the trans meets up with the engine.

He said its leaking on the side of the tranny. (not very specific I know)

Now im fairly new to Vanagons. I used to own a 79 camper many years ago, but im starting to feel the itch for a vanagon.

I figured some of you fine people might be able to put some insight into this for me. I know its all fairly vague but any help as to ideas of what could be the problem would be AWESOME. Should I steer clear or is it worth a tackle?

Thanks in advance everyone
jmfoust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a manual or automatic tranny? Sounds like a rear main seal, unless it's automatic trans fluid.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
enlitnmnt28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmfoust wrote:
Is this a manual or automatic tranny? Sounds like a rear main seal, unless it's automatic trans fluid.

It is an automatic, sorry I should have stated that in the first post....

If its the rear main seal, how hard of a job is this to do on ones own?

Ive rebuilt a tranny on an old land rover. But ive never fooled with an automatic or VW tranny. Thanks
jmfoust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All depends on what is leaking. Tranny fluid or motor oil. I do know that the automatics are a DIY rebuild with simple tools. Either way, pull the tranny, replace rear main seal on motor, and replace the front seal on the tranny. Drive away happy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmfoust wrote:
All depends on what is leaking. Tranny fluid or motor oil. I do know that the automatics are a DIY rebuild with simple tools. Either way, pull the tranny, replace rear main seal on motor, and replace the front seal on the tranny. Drive away happy.

Really? Automatics on a VW can be rebuilt easily with simple tools? Shocked

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
psych-illogical
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a manual that's leaking out of where the drive flange for one of the CV shafts comes out of the trans. From perusing the Bentley it looks like it's a PITA to fix. I assume that auto's can leak from the same spot. It's not too bad though. I just slip a piece of cardboard under it in the driveway to keep it from marking it's territory.
'96 BMW R1100GS
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: