Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

OIL.. OIL... OIL...!!!!!
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fungi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: OIL.. OIL... OIL...!!!!! Reply with quote

I recently installed a new Weber progressive carb... Since then, oil has been leaking out of the passenger side valve cover (lots of oil).
My theory is that gas is somehow getting in and mixing with the oil. The oil seems much thinner then it should be(less viscous). Is there some way to test this theory. Is it even possible, she seems to run smoothly otherwise. Does any one have another theory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
NeverHadaBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:51 pm    Post subject: OIL.. OIL... OIL...!!!!! Reply with quote

Getting enough gas in the oil to actually thin the oil is not likely. If you are then an oil leak is the least of your worries. Your oil is probably just warmer and much thinner than it looks coming from a bottle. I use to fight a lot with leaking valve covers until I tried a new method. The wire bails can be turned to allow you to either flip them down or flip them up to remove the cover. Install the the bail where it flips down to remove the cover. Then install a nice gasket in the cover and hold the cover firmly against the head and pushed up to keep the seal snug along the bottom lip of the cover. Don't let the cover move around as you pry the bail up over the cover and into place. The covers are about 1/4 inch larger than the heads, but this method seals the bottom and places the excess cover overhang accross the top of the cylinder head. Make certain not to move the cover around after you pry the bail up and over it or it may leak again. Works well for me. Take care and good luck.
fungi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: OIL.. OIL... OIL...!!!!! Reply with quote

Thanks...I will try this...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
vwsrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 1:22 pm    Post subject: OIL.. OIL... OIL...!!!!! Reply with quote

I had a bus once that had a stock carb on it. It (the carb) had a bad float or something allowing the gas to bypass the carb, flood the cylinders and pass by the rings and into the oil. I found out the hard way when it locked up one afternoon. I had, like you, previously found that the oil was increadibly thin but couldn't explain why at the time.

Try this to rule out the carb. Knowing that the oil is fresh. This way you know how "thick" it is. Block off the gas line coming from the tank to the carb and then run it out of gas. Let the bus sit for as long as you can. (Days) Check and see if your valve cover is still leaking. Be sure it clean it off well before doing this so you will know if it's leaking or just old oil.

This will rule out the carb. Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fungi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 4:15 pm    Post subject: OIL.. OIL... OIL...!!!!! Reply with quote

If there was that much fuel in the cylinder (running very rich). Wouldn't there be some sign, like black smoke or somthing coming out exhaust.
Also it only leaks when it is running...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: