Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tuning a 34pict3 carb
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajbsd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Tuning a 34pict3 carb Reply with quote

I had posted a while back in the split bus forum about how to tune my 34pict3 carb and had a few replies but I thought I should post over in this section. I am still having difficulty with this issue - I still cannot get the engine to idle. Could somebody please help? It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that other thread you posted to about it, the dial-in instructions there are good ones. But I'll add this:

First of all, which 34PICT-3 is it? Mexican? Brazillian? German? If it's a German carb, what is the base flange number stamped into the carb by where the throttle cable attaches? And.... which distributor are you running with it???

fHave you verified that the idle cutoff valve is functional? That's the big cylinder thingy with a wire going to it just below the idle speed and mixture screws. With the ignition key on, unhook and rehook the wire going to it, you sould hear and feel it "click" as the plunger moves in and out. If it isn't functional, since it's bad, you can remove it, and cut off the plunger - the engine might "run-on" if you run with it that way, but I had it on my Baja that way for years and never had a problem.

After that, barring any bad vacuum leaks, and assuming the ignition system and valves are all correct, it's probably dirt somewhere in the idle circuit.

I bought a carb at a swap meet many years ago, in good shape, tight,but could not get it to idle. Took it apart, soaked it in carb cleaner, but a the time I didn't have an air compressor to really blast out the passenges. I put it back together, tried it again, still no idle. Put it on the shelf.... A while later, I did have an air compressor available, so I repeated the cleaning, and blew it out thoroughly afterwards, and whatever was blocking the idle circuit got blown out that time, and the carb ran fine. I used that carb for probably 8 years or so after that.
-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: