Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Deciphering watercooled head markings.
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Deciphering watercooled head markings. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm trying to figure out how to decipher the markings on the VW watercooled heads. Most have a clock looking thing between #3 and #4 injector (which nobody seems to know how to decipher either) but mine has a circle with the numbers (from top to bottom) 23 11 8. I want to be sure the head I have will work on it before I tear it apart. The head I have is the original head off my 85 Jetta (with the clock thing on it) and the motor in it now in the pic is supposed to be from an 84 Rabbit.
1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I've never heard anyone mention those markings before, nor seen them referred to in any factory manuals. I thought they were casting or production code numbers that were mostly meaningless.

As long as the engines are both 1600s, and you choose the correct thickness diesel head gasket, I think it should work OK.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are a build time/date stamp. I asked this many, many years ago to a retired VW tech but that's all I know.
vwpikup1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes they are manufacture markings nothing that is importance to the consumer !but you mention using a 84 head on a 85 make sure your 85 is not hydrolic because the 84 is mechanical! and stick with the same size head gasket! piston stick up past the top deck of the block is determined by the thikness of the head gasket and you did not change any of that !
Duane
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that on Diesel engines, 1985s still had mechanical lifters and didn't go hydraulic til 1986. Or wait, hold on, was that a mid-year change?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: