Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

hose clamps
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buggnuttz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: hose clamps Reply with quote

Do you like screw type or spring clamp hose clamps better?
terryg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I've lost the link, but there are some clamps (screw type) that have rolled edges that don't cut into the fuel lines. I believe they come from Sweden, but not sure. I supplied them on my rebuild/install and the mechanics went nuts over how great they were. I may have gotten them from Van-again.com, but not sure. They cost about 3x as much as the FLAPS clamps, but peace of mind cost is much less.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another personal preference
question.

I like and use stainless aircraft clamps, but not the run of the mill single wound clamps.

They are double wound so the screw never touches the hose & gouges it.
They are better known as silicone hose screw clamps.

They'll clamp down on a hose tighter than a fat ladies socks, and are a bunch easier to remove and replace than the stock spring clamps.

But again--this question is pretty much on the same line as what kinda TP is better?
White Cloud, Charmin, the phone book, or the JC Whitney catalog ?

All get the job done, but folks still have their own personal preference.
Mr Brown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the fuel injection clamps Bus Depot sells. Replaced all my fuel line clamps with those. They are a quality plated clamp with rolled edges and fit perfect on the 7mm hose.

On the Eurovan I had, I used the VW spring clamps that were called out in the parts catalog. The spring type clamps are supposed to be better as they provide a constant tension regardless of temperature. I prefer to use the screw type clamps and check the ones in the engine bay annually for tightness.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think we are the only vendor who has these ones:

http://germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=17016

they are exactly what was used on the early injected engines. not sure how late they were used, but for sure up to '83. in my opinion these clips with the deep flared edge are pretty much the best thing available.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These injection clamps are top shelf, and you'd have one hell of a time pinching the fuel lines using them.

But what about the rest of the clamps on the Van?

I know I spent well over $150.00 on spring clamp tools fro Snappy to play Harry Houdini removing the stock spring clamps used all over the rest of the Van.

This is really is screwed up, damned if you do, and damned if you don't set up.
A full set of silicone style , non pinching clamps will cost less than the tools to remove the spring clamps in the first place.

I replace them all with double wrapped screw clamps-- and only 3 tools necessary to remove and replace them from that point on.
Either a screwdriver, a socket, or a nut driver, and they yank the hoses down tight and permanent without gouging the hoses.

This in my opinion is the better (best) deal in the long run.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Thu May 17, 2007 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been here?

http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/index.php?cPath=26
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tafkah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry, Is this type clamps you are talking about?

http://www.breezeclamps.com/liner.htm

Where do you buy yours?
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Been here?

http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/index.php?cPath=26

those are mostly aba ss rolled edge clamps
http://www.abaofamerica.com/products/abaminif304ss.asp

ratwell site has the review of the clamps here http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FuelHoses.html
J75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in a mack/volvo truck dealership in Canada.

I sell the regular old run of the mill hose clamps, plus the ones with the nice smooth sleave(we call them silicone hose clamps) and we also carry the smooth ones on the inside with a bolt and spring from 2" up to 8" or so. Usually people use the ones with the bolt and spring for a stronger holds in the case hydraulic compressors or turbo chargers.

Oh, my point is: Check with a local heavy equipment/truck dealership first before you spend money to order online, they may have exactly what you looking for. I keep all three where I work from small to big.

I also plan on replacing my air intake pipe thats cracked and discontinued with 2.5" hose which I always have in stock.

Jon
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<I sell the regular old run of the mill hose clamps, plus the ones with the nice smooth sleave(we call them silicone hose clamps) and we also carry the smooth ones on the inside with a bolt and spring from 2" up to 8" or so. Usually people use the ones with the bolt and spring for a stronger holds in the case hydraulic compressors or turbo chargers.>>

The spring type clamps are used on a Mack at the turbo innercooler connection, and at the hose at the air cleaner.
Tough clamps, but would be difficult to use these at all of the coolant line connections-the size of the spring area would limit it's use.

<< my point is: Check with a local heavy equipment/truck dealership first before you spend money to order online,>>

This is your best bet for hose & clamps---
After you get done paying the shipping and handling 9 times outa 10 you more than likely could have found them close to home, saved yourself a couple of bucks, and time hanging out at the mail box waiting for them.

Look in the phone book for a Parker Hose & fitting distributor.
They'll have any kind of clamp you'll need.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Thu May 17, 2007 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<<Terry, Is this type clamps you are talking about?

http://www.breezeclamps.com/liner.htm >>>

That's them----
This kinda clamp is the best , and will never tear into the hose.

<<Where do you buy yours?>>

Bristol Hose & Fitting in Northlake IL.
708-492-3456

They are a Parker Hose Dealer.

Mike Tuminaro is the owner--you can ask for him, or ask for Freddie or Dan who work there.
Good guys, and will be willing to help you out with any hose , fitting or clamp problem.

They have any kind of hose or clamp you'll ever need.

They do ship parts.
Tafkah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip on liner clamps, Terry.

Looks like these guys sell liner clamps online with no minimum order.

http://www.raceplumbing.com/index.html

It's a PITA to change those short hoses around the water pump and oil cooler, and I hate to see them tear when I use regular clamps. So I'm planning to use liner clamps there instead.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: