Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36hp w/ judson - more power available?
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: 36hp w/ judson - more power available? Reply with quote

I'm building a new "performance" engine for my '55 and want to stay with vintage era-correct parts but get as much power out of it as possible. I don't have the money for an Okrasa, so it's not an option. Crying or Very sad I have a Judson going on it already, but my question is what more can I do in terms of bolt-ons? I know that a performance 36hp is a little bit of an oxymoron, but I'm doing it mainly for the vintage cool factor.

Can I use a performance (Delorto or Weber) carb with the Judson?

Any era-correct high-flow exhaust manifolds (I found a muffler already)?

Also, can you over-pump the Judson with a smaller pulley without destroying the crank? Or is there a decent upgraded crank option?

Thanks guys. This is my first foray into performance bug engines so pardon me if I ask a dumb question or two. Laughing
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is plenty of reading for you to get your teeth into

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=96565

Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Loaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Judson Reply with quote

Check out the Judson Registry in the UK or wait for John Moxon to chime in. If you are rebuilding your 36 HP you have to wait until it is broken in, ie., rings properly seated before you install the Judson. You install the Judson from the start and your rings will never seat. The only carb that I know that will work is the PCI 28 on the 36 horse. Don't forget, you will also need an oiler for the supercharger to help keep it lubricated. Also, if you really want the cool look, try to find a Judson electronic coil to go with your set up.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck Corwin, running a Judson and not signed-up to our Forum Shocked Wink

Here are a couple of short Topics on our Forum that might point you in the right direction:
http://forum.judsonregister.org/viewtopic.php?t=131
http://forum.judsonregister.org/viewtopic.php?t=142

The largest Solex carb that will fit a Judson is the 30pict which was fitted as stock to the 1500 engine. I would forget about spinning the Judson faster as you very quickly run into overheating and detonation problems. These problems can be overcome but personally they're often not worth the extra aggravation.

If you improve the flow charasteristics through fitting a more efficient header be prepared for less boost. The Judson was designed to give 5-6psi on the strangled breathing of a 36hp engine, any top end improvements affect available boost.

If you're still keen on overdriving your 36hp try this section on our Forum:
http://forum.judsonregister.org/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=c9783e9547091448e817d5ce4e92ebe0
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John. I didn't join the Forum yet because I'm not technically running it right now. I've got the pieces (well most of them anyhow) and am just gathering info before I start building.

I'm really interested in the cams Joe has so I'll contact him soon. I think I'll take your advice about over-running - after reading about someone cracking their's due to overheating I think I'll pass.

Maybe you can tell me if there is any benefit to running an actual Judson magneto or if the suggested Bosch 009 or 010 are better?

Thanks. Smile
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corwin wrote:
Thanks John. I didn't join the Forum yet because I'm not technically running it right now. I've got the pieces (well most of them anyhow) and am just gathering info before I start building.

It's OK Corwin, I was just yankin' your chain. Wink

Corwin wrote:
Maybe you can tell me if there is any benefit to running an actual Judson magneto or if the suggested Bosch 009 or 010 are better?

For opinions on the Judson Magneto, you'll find some here:
http://forum.judsonregister.org/viewtopic.php?t=50

and for the 009 and 010 opinions have a look again at this topic:
http://forum.judsonregister.org/viewtopic.php?t=131
"Jens" post on this topic looks to be the most enlightening...at least he writes what works best for him over a long period of time.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: