Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VERBOSE Post: Rob & Winston Go to VW's on the Green
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: VERBOSE Post: Rob & Winston Go to VW's on the Green Reply with quote

Dear me, I've been meaning to post this for a week. Well, for those of you who doubt that Winston and I really exist (I tend to do the same, of whiles), here is a picture to prove our physical reality, taken by our own joetiger May 20, 2007, the day I first showed off Winston and what I've done to him to the general public:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I hadn't taken Winston when I went to last year's VW's on the Green because I was sure they'd be buried in 1.9 WBX's. Of course, they were not, didn't see a single water-cooled Vanagon with round headlights, although I met some nice people and saw some beautiful iron. One of the volunteers reproached me for not bringing Winston, the show is free, and by the time the show rolled around this year he was ready for prime time.

The night before I charged Winston's batteries via the house current and the Schumacher, and was set to put a few gallons in his water tank when I discovered that the gadget I made with the half-inch plastic tubing had a broken hose connector--it had gotten dropped and shattered. I had to use a big plastic pitcher through the inner tank lid.

I got there pretty close to 8, there was a long line of Bug variants already, but they said, "A bus? You can park now." I didn't dispute my identity. I pulled Winston into a very long line of breadloaves and a few newer Westies. I was soon calling it, 'Battleship Row.' I was two spaces before the Porta-Potties with a nice splitty (fixed window) behind me--they seemed to have put the less photogenic vans toward the rear. But, the volunteers were a lovely lot, and a lot of them were very complimentary about Winston. Here's where to look for other pictures from the show:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?..._terms=all

I had charged the batteries as part of my plan to make Winston stand out from the crowd. I burned a special CD with all my Bavarian oom-pah music, all the Weird Al Polka's I had, and some selections from the German Army choir. I kept those playing over Winston's big Pioneer Speakers.

That got a few shudders--although I explained that it was my 'Campground Clearing System' which could clear away a space for the van--and at least a few hysterical laughs when 'Das gelbe Unterwasserbote' was playing. BEATLEHEITEN, LOHS! I also had the power of... YODELING.

Shocked

Alas, despite my background music, I had no beer, just water from Winston's tank, which is what I'm drinking in Joe's picture. I told people that I had a Who CD in the system and it was just coming out like that. Soul Music for VW's. The Buses all looked like they were enjoying it. I rotated my passenger's seat around there and lounged comfortably, stopping my Bavarian Band Concert whenever someone was bleeding from the ears or wanted to talk about the van. Got photographed looking mellow.

Had the rear engine cover off and the top up, people were curious about both, which surprised me. Two people couldn't believe he WAS water-cooled, so I had to explain the ideas behind the wasserboxer. There were lots of admiring families with whom I talked very frankly about, "Yes, it's the ideal family camper, and the newest one is over two decades old, so reckon accordingly."

I loved the kids looking around and their parents seeing Winston's microwave and other mods. The younger generation liked my rig for power to the laptop so I could watch movies with sound from the speakers. Nick's Pergo floor was popular, as were my lights. I already mentioned how big a hit--and I hope that's the last time 'hit' is an issue--his New Scary Bumper (NSB) was. I've since fixed the stickers and gotten it looking the way I wanted it to.

Up popped joetiger and his beautiful Subie-engined Weekender, we had a very pleasant chat and I took some shots of his machine and he photographed me in front of mine. Joe's as nice in person as he is on the board. I should have figured 'Tiger' had something to do with LSU:

I think there were some other Sambanistas about, MORE THAN ONE PERSON said, "So this is Winston?"

Shocked

I HOPE IT WASN'T TOO MUCH OF A DISAPPOINTMENT!

He was running so beautifully, too, and showing off his new Audi rims. I showed off my screen repairs and the wiring I'd done, and had to tell more people than I like to remember that, yes, his passenger seat rotated back around to face the front. I got out my little stool and put my feet up, and they took pictures of me enjoying the Vanagon good life.

Only one other Sambanista showed up who'd identify himself, that being krautwagen, minus his own Subie-engined van, but with his pleasant young son and friend. We had another nice chat, and then a fellow showed up full of questions who'd done his own subie conversion, with his van, and he and krautwagen went into Subie arcana when the newcomer, Andy, brought his own Van in and parked it where others had left as the show went on.

I was pleased that so many were interested in Winston, even though my voice got a bit ragged from explaining what I'd done to and with him. I was still doing so when they started announcing who'd won the judging in what category, I don't think we won anything, and then they did the free raffle. I won something in that, but by the time I could run up to the booth they'd given my prize away. Oh, well, it was a free show and free raffle. Next time I'll lock up the van and just go listen!

krautwagen and youngsters showed up again just in time to wave as Winston and I pulled out, humiliatingly, with the parking brake still on. I was so proud of myself for doing so well in remembering all the steps it takes to make a Westy ready for sea, too--except that one. My other humiliation came earlier in the day when they wanted to push Winston six feet forward to work in the Splitty and I left him in gear. Snarl. Aside from that, though, neither of us was a disgrace. Winston's agility in a turn was a shock to onlookers when I turned him around and left.

Of course, this year, Winston WASN'T the only early wasserboxer around--a nice fellow who said that he, too, posted on the Samba brought up a very pretty '84 WBX Westy that STILL HAD the air conditioning installed, but he was apparently very busy--I took some shots of his interior, but we didn't get another chance to talk. A lot of folk locked up their vehicles and looked at everybody else's machines, I stayed pretty much the whole time with Winston. Behind me was a brown and cream transporter that was for sale, the fellow owning it didn't know you could put 'moon' hubcaps on the rims--he had three on it by the time he left, picked 'em up at the 'For Sale' tables.

Did have some pleasant conversations with the fellow with the Splitty behind me, a bay-window double-cab across the way that had been in the Philippines, and a fellow who had an incredibly painted splitty that had been an art project. Got peace signs and smiles from the passing loaves and other vehicles as they drove past Winston to the tune of Alpine Oom-Pah.

It was a fun show, put on by VW Enthusiasts of the Rockies, the price was right, and I saw some very beautiful vehicles. The one question I gave a rude answer to was 'Is this van for sale?'

NO.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! Love those Audi wheels, kinda wish I had kept mine instead of giving up on the conversion and going back to the factory 14 inchers.

I too have pulled out of a parking lot before with the parking brake on. Sometimes it hard to tell if it's the parking brake, or just the 1.9 lack of power!! Razz

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was great to finally meet you and Winston. I wish I could have stayed out there longer; beautiful afternoon with a lot of outstanding VW's.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heliotrpic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to the forum here and new to westys. I think I was the one who asked you the question of "is this for sale". When you mentioned that it was on "the samba", the first thing that popped into my mind was the classifieds sections. It's the part of the site that I have visited most since I do not own an older vw (does an 88 GTI count?) or a westy. So I did not intend to be rude. Thanks for answering all our other questions though. After speaking with everyone about their vanagons and older buses, I'm hooked and planning on having my very own westy by next years vwotg.

Karl
rhpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was bummed I missed it.. The fam and I took rusty out to Roxborough for a day trip that day. After lunch all the people under 3foot tall were napping, we drove back, taking the route through through Littleton.

Low and behold, I drive by Clemment and "WTF@!$$! THATS TODAY???"
This is another example of me and time not actually cooperating..
It was around 3-ish and people were clearing out. I took Rusty in the west entrance, saw the dub area blocked off, drove back into the park where all the 'squares' were parked, turned around and just pouted..

Even the wife said she wanted to go, granted.. that was after we LEFT, and were heading back home.
My Rustfalia is not worthy.... not today.
That is why we have 2008 to look forward to.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Volkswagens on the Green: 2015 Reply with quote

Figured I'd 'Bump' my old thread instead of starting a new one. I went last Sunday. As usual, I took many, many pictures. ALL of them are HERE:

http://s241.photobucket.com/user/msinabottle/library/VWOTG15

There are all sorts of Volkswagens. There are Porsches. There are some other interesting vehicles. I had a good time, and had thought about not going, due to a threat of rain and something ELSE neat that I wanted to attend, but I hadn't shown off Winston with his new muffler and his new metal fuel lines and his new postal flares and...

Shocked

So I went. Since I exhibited Winston six times in the past, I saved the $15 and just put him in the 'Preferred Parking' area of Clement Park, with no regrets. They don't publish the judging criteria, there is ONE 'Vanagon/Eurovan' category, and I'm poor and for all I've done with, to, and for Winston, I've never won anything. But I enjoyed seeing other aficionados and meeting those of you I met. You know who you are.

I had a very nice chat with Gnarlodious, whose posts and van impress me, and she and her wheelchair were all over the place. Here's a good shot of her in her beautiful, faithful van:

I did run into some people I knew, and people I wish I knew better. Some good news, though, for we Colorado VW people--there's a new business in Colorado Springs that will rebuild or modify your Vanagon's differential. I met them at their display:

and had a pleasant conversation with Greg Sayers, who will install Peloquins, limited slips, and who was justly proud of his TDI Diesel conversions of his two Vanagons present:

and

Here's his contact information.

Mr. G.A.S.
VW Rebuilding, Fabrication, Repair
2660 Durango Drive
Colorado Springs, CO 80910
719-220-0975
http://www.mrgasrebuilds.com

He was nice. Some lovely iron, such as this beautiful DOKA:

and I got to see some lovely Vanagon interiors, including the one in this German Import which is for sale:

I wish I could remember what conversion that was! Here's another:

Talk about wood!

As usual, it was nice to see the Brothers LaBate, who were there with their two new shop vans and a display of Rocky Mountain Westy wares:

Mike very kindly let me take a set of Chris's new engine protective shields home with me at the end of the show--that goes on Winston behind his new muffler. They sent some browsers over to Winston who convinced me to start him up so they could hear the growling howl that has replaced his old Volkswagen 'mutter.'

In between walks around taking pictures and photographing Volkswagens--and some really beautiful air-cooled Porsches--I did some maintenance on Winston, such as putting Baby Oil on his interior plastic and rubber, and spraying a waterproofer/UV protectant on his tent.

All in all, I had a good time. I wish I could tell you what Van or Eurovan won the trophy, but there was no way to link the person who got the trophy with what that person got the trophy WITH.

Shocked

Anyway, glad I went. Winston howled happily all the way home.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great time, thanks for the report, Rob.

I wanted to be there, but kid's rain-makeup soccer games took away my Sunday. Mad

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob it was great to meet you and have a visit with the legendary Winston!
great lens and eye too!
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty great shots! What camera/lens is that?
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: It was! Reply with quote

It was very nice meeting you all, and seeing what was there to be seen. I'm delighted you all liked the pictures! That's a Nikon D240, an older DSLR, the lens was my Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED wide angle, which I more or less bought for event photography. I didn't use anything else that day, I wanted to see what it could do.

I did get the Go Westy lower engine steel onto Winston yesterday. The instructions were quite good and the metal is HEAVY, which is why I didn't use the word 'tin.'

Winston decided to give me a free shot of adrenaline when I did the driver's side plate--the passenger's side takes a lot of careful work when at least the 10centlife exhaust is mounted. There was just a SMALL drip of anti-freeze on the garage floor!

Shocked

Well, that was a bit of a scare. RMW had to change my coolant out (and it was brand new!) when they replaced my water pump. I didn't THINK it was the new water pump! I got a strong flashlight and I'm PRETTY SURE that the source of the leak was the drain plug--there was a bit of a drip around that, and when I got out an Allen socket, it was just a touch loose. I went out and checked some hours later, and there was no fluid on the floor.

Winston likes to frighten me like that.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post!

I Always appreciate your posts, thanks for updating us.

Not much exciting in my life....... I put in a new Ford heater valve! Rolling Eyes

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: