Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

more pertronix
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
78busman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 8:49 am    Post subject: more pertronix Reply with quote

I would like to install a pertronix system
on 2.0 1978. Any tricks, is it straight
forward. Do I need to adjust timing. What do do you recommend as an ideal timing
setting. Thanks
NeverHadaBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 10:47 am    Post subject: more pertronix Reply with quote

You typically have two choices for Pertronix ignitors: one for the Bosch 009 or one for the stock vacuum assist distributor. Pretty much the exact same procedure as installing a set of points. Make absolute certain not to cross the red and black wires on the Pertronix or your money and time will be down the drain as soon as you crank the ignition. Usually takes about 30 minutes and you do need to reset the timing afterward. When I need to set the timing on a bus that has had the distributor removed then I simply set it statically at 0 degrees or simply top dead center (TDC). This is easy and the bus should be able to start and idle well enough to set it more precisely afterwards. Everybody has their own opinion about ignition timing, but 7.5 degrees before TDC on a stock distributor and stock engine is the official setting. I actually find that setting my timing statically at 0 degrees TDC usually equates to about 7.5 degrees with the engine idling at 800-900 RPMs. Static timing simply means setting your timing while the engine is not running or "static". You can set your timing statically with nothing more than a 12 volt test light. Just ground the light and place the test probe into the distributor cap terminal that the rotor is approaching. Turn the crankshaft nut with a 13mm socket and watch where the test light flashes. Adjust the distributor, back up the crankshaft and rotor, and try it again until the flash occurs at 0 degrees TDC. Start the bus and check the timing with a timing light which in my experience is usually about 7-8 degrees which I then leave alone. I'm not a big fan of 009 distributors so I don't recall where they should be timed at. I have a Pertonix on my bus and I have good luck with it, but when I get a bus with points I leave them in there because they work well also. I feel my bus idles better with the Pertronix and will actually idle all the way down to about 500 RPMs and still keep running.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: more pertronix Reply with quote

iv'e had 3 or 4 of those go bad on me one on my car and 3 one other car's iv'e put them on! they seem to last about a year or less! i use the compu-fire units now without a single failure yet!after may years! steve
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: