Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Studs in rear wheel wells
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gatorjos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Studs in rear wheel wells Reply with quote

What are the two studs for found in the rear wheel wells of my '72 vert? They have a hole also, and obviously are meant for smthg to be mounted to them.

Suspension? Heating? ...

Confused

Clueless in Simi

Previous romances:
1972 Ghia cabriolet (full body-off restoration -- stolen after five years of ownership)
2004 Passat 1.8T (manual)

http://21stcenturyhobo.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Studs in rear wheel wells Reply with quote

gatorjos wrote:
What are the two studs for found in the rear wheel wells of my '72 vert? They have a hole also, and obviously are meant for smthg to be mounted to them.

Suspension? Heating? ...

Confused

Clueless in Simi

I think you are probably seeing the mount for the Z-Bar. You don't need to worry about them, they were for swingaxle cars.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Studs in rear wheel wells Reply with quote

70 140 wrote:
gatorjos wrote:

Suspension? Heating? ...

Confused

Clueless in Simi

I think you are probably seeing the mount for the Z-Bar. You don't need to worry about them, they were for swingaxle cars.

I have never seen a Z-Bar on a Ghia and wondered why that mount was never discontinued. Confused
HippieBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 68 had a Z-bar and I removed it when I went to a 70 IRS pan. Two studs on each side (rear wheel well) with a 1 inch larger hole between them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding on the mounts, is that Z-bars were for swingaxle Ghias as of '67 model year (and '68 manual-trans.). USA did not need them as of '69 models when switched to IRS but most other world markets kept the SA and therefore the bodies for all markets kept the mounts and holes.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Studs in rear wheel wells Reply with quote

Icy wrote:
70 140 wrote:
gatorjos wrote:

Suspension? Heating? ...

Confused

Clueless in Simi

I have never seen a Z-Bar on a Ghia and wondered why that mount was never discontinued. Confused

I've still got the Z bar on my '67.
I need to get new rubber bushings because that things rattles like a mutha over heavy bumps (which is pretty much the entire road surface in the midwest Confused ).
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Studs in rear wheel wells Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
Icy wrote:
70 140 wrote:
gatorjos wrote:

Suspension? Heating? ...

Confused

Clueless in Simi

I need to get new rubber bushings because that things rattles like a mutha over heavy bumps (which is pretty much the entire road surface in the midwest Confused ).

No kidding? The 67 I parted out didn't have the Z-Bar, but I'm guessing someone got it before I got the car. Weird. It wasn't until I started in on the 68 and the 73 that I noticed the Z-Bar mounts were still there.
gatorjos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. It's nice to know what to curse when I'm busting my knuckles ("F&*$ing z-bar studs!")

Found this pic when I searched for z bar. All right now I'm off to zee bar!

Later,

Jos

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

Previous romances:
1972 Ghia cabriolet (full body-off restoration -- stolen after five years of ownership)
2004 Passat 1.8T (manual)

http://21stcenturyhobo.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Studs in rear wheel wells Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:

I rebuilt mine using this kit....
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111598001

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: