Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

does the transaxle code indicate rebuild?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: does the transaxle code indicate rebuild? Reply with quote

I read awhile ago about the transaxle codes. I crawled under my 84 today and found the following:

Transaxle type: 091 301 103 D

Date of manufacture: DU 19 01 4

From this data and the Bentley, I gather it was build on January 19th, 1984 (original tranny for my bus). What does the 'D' indicate after the ...103?

I thought I remembered MSINABOTTLE researching this awhile back, but my search on "transmission" did not yeild what I was looking for.

It shifts good in all 4 gears, but there is some noticable "hummm" in forth gear in the rear. I assume this is alright. Any way to tell if the tranny has had work done to it? The CV boots look good too.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Here's Where You Want to Look Reply with quote

Your answer can be found by looking here, Bucko:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=230958

I just hope that perhaps in all the years I didn't have him, someone dropped Winston's original tranny and did the slider replacment. It's smoothe as silk, but thanks to the speedometer replacements, I have no idea as to how many miles are really on him.

Good luck with yours!

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. There's about 171,000 miles on this setup, and I have no problem with the 3-4 gear hangup that was mentioned in 10cent's write-up. The transaxle is a bit greasy under there, indicating it's been there awhile and untouched. Since it shifts so darn good, and with the mileage that's on it, I'm thinking that brass part in it has been replaced already.

I'll just drive it, and assume the best.

bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. There's about 171,000 miles on this setup, and I have no problem with the 3-4 gear hangup that was mentioned in 10cent's write-up. The transaxle is a bit greasy under there, indicating it's been there awhile and untouched. Since it shifts so darn good, and with the mileage that's on it, I'm thinking that brass part in it has been replaced already.

I'll just drive it, and assume the best.

?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW the 3-4 slider is ferrous not brass. I've got a busted one on the wall in my garage and the magnet sticks to it robustly.

Andrew
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
FWIW the 3-4 slider is ferrous not brass. I've got a busted one on the wall in my garage and the magnet sticks to it robustly.

Andrew

Huh -- you have a wall of shame too. Let's see, I have 4 (maybe 5) blown expansion tanks, a front outer bearing that stopped bearing, a broken axle (from my bug), a worn out throttle body, bent valves, a dead radiator fan, several dead speedometers, bumpers.. geesh, the list goes on and on and on... Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, mechanical magnetism. Must be spring! [sigh!] Better separate those two, Andrew or you'll have little stress-risered magnetical hublets all underfoot before you know it, and a million little messes to clean up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever stumble into a little stamped Phoenix logo, it's one of mine...
Phoenix: Bird rising from the ashes of a former life ...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Hoping... Reply with quote

I have no evidence besides the transmission's good performance to reassure me that someone's ditched the Exploding Slider.

The one source of comfort I do have--not even your speedometer, Bucko--is that when I serviced the transmission not too long after buying Winston, I found both the drain and fill plugs somewhat stripped--in other words, they'd been used, which means attention was paid to that transmission.

Also, when I pulled the plugs, the magnets on them weren't that bad at all--just a few shavings, no where near as horrible as some I've seen pictured on the Samba. If that slider is ferrous, it hasn't contributed too much to those plugs, lately.

So, I try to be hopeful...

Best!
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The early 3rd/4th slider hub doesn't wear much ... it just cracks when it's good & ready, usually between 120-150K.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
Ahh, mechanical magnetism. Must be spring! [sigh!] Better separate those two, Andrew or you'll have little stress-risered magnetical hublets all underfoot before you know it, and a million little messes to clean up.

LOL!

Let 'em have their fun, they're metalically dissimilar enough that they can't reproduce.

Andrew
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the Cap-screw-lets and the Monta-gear-ues. Star-washer-crossed lovers.

(apologies to Willy-the-Shake)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: