Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Do they leak?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 1:10 am    Post subject: Do they leak? Reply with quote

I would like a thing but it would have to be my only car. Just exactly how watertight are they? Do I need a hardtop and glass side windows? I live in cent. Ca. so it does`br rain a whole lot but when it does it does good. Anything else I need to watch out for?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 7:52 am    Post subject: Do they leak? Reply with quote

Bavapeters, I have a 74 Thing and yes it leaks with the top up and the windows on. Mine leaks rite in the center where the windshield meets the top bow, even witha good rubber seal. Make sure you have all the weather stripping on the doors too, or else it'll leak there too.
edgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: Do they leak? Reply with quote

My son drives his everyday. We live in MD. He had a leak as described above and installed a piece of 3/8" xd 1/2" universal weather seal from the hardware store. Can't see it when top is up, can't see it when top is down except while folding it. Stopped the problem.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:26 am    Post subject: Do they leak? Reply with quote

I own two things a 69 and a 71 also i have other cars so i dont have to drive them every day, i will give you some tips; they are not watertight!when you leave it a few days in the rain there stands water on the floorpan. windscreenwipers are also a problem, they move the water from left to right, also a problem is the heater, when you drive the car the heater can just keep up for an normal climate in the car, but when you drive this type of car only in summer, you will have the best cabriolet ever made.aircooled greetings from holland
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 10:41 am    Post subject: Do they leak? Reply with quote

By other cars i ment ofcourse other AIRCOOLED cars!!!!!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Do they leak? Reply with quote

I'm in Cent. Ca. at Monterey and cover Thing with a Cosco tarp for now, until completed. I recently built a hardtop and, sewed side curtains and made door windows (plexglass) with waterproof in mind. Will let you know how tight! Larry
GoThingNC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:52 am    Post subject: Do they leak? Reply with quote

I had a leaking problem when I had a new top and frame installed.
What I found out is that the two top to windshield frame latches stretch out with age.

I ordered a set of stainless steel ones from the Thing Shop and have not had any more leaks in all sorts of weather..
The rubber seal is about 15 years old and does not give me any problems.

The new latches were a bear to close at first since it really pulled the top down tight.

Spend the money and stay dry.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:33 am    Post subject: Do they leak? Reply with quote

I have a 74 thing and live in hawaii, Heavy rains are seasonal here and my thing is extremely watertight in the heaviest of dounpours.
chinarider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: Do they leak? Reply with quote

I have both a hard top and a soft top for my 73. Neither one is totally watertight - especially where the top meets the windshield frame - but the soft top leaks more than the hard top. I've found that leaks generally depend on my driving speed in rainy conditions. Parked outside in the rain, both keep the interior bone dry. If i'm on back roads, and generally going around 30mph or so, not much water comes in. In fact, any water coming in at this speed is usually from the edges of my side curtains. Take the Thing up to 60mph, and it's a different story. Here, I find that the combination of wind, and natural lift on the soft top (like on an airplane wing) causes lots of drips along windshield/top seam. I'm going to invest in some weatherstripping this weekend, and see if it helps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject: Do they leak? Reply with quote

Living in Eugene, Oregon---well, lets just say it rains 30 plus inches a year. My Thing was a daily driver for a year or two. The leaks were not to bad for the first year. At 30 mph and above, you don't get very wet. Then I bought a top for it.
Peace,
Frank
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: