Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing Owners Roll Call!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mickeything
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all. My name is Angie and my husband bought me my Thing about 2 weeks ago. Very Happy Haven't had alot of time to drive it because of the weather here in Il, but love it all the same. We bought is from Gus111 here on Samba.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Angie! Smile

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
JohnF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I never signed up on this owners list.

John Fleming.
Was from San Diego up until 4/05. Now a Phoenix resident.
Got my car from a neighbor, one of his "roomies" owed him money and never paid so he kept the Thing (no engine). It sat in his back yard for a year or more until one of my sons talked him into selling it to me for $400.00. I've always had VW's but wasn't really interested. 400 bucks was pretty cheap for anything as different as a Thing so I bought it anyway. It was rough but somebody had really taken care of it well in one of it's lives. It had been undercoated, all repainted, tube bumpers, 6 point roll bar, fiberglass wider fenders in the rear, 15" color-matched spoke wheels,etc. but it's deterorated now,the pans are rusted through in places and there is cancer in the usual spots on the exterior.

I had a 1776 low compression engine built, by Kline VW in Lakeside, from the OG case with a low end cam, added a Weber progressive, external oil cooler/filter and put 4:37 gears in the tranny. It walks pretty slow if I want it to. I use it mostly off road out at Ocotillo Wells now a days. A friend has property there and we squatted an old 5th trailer on it, I go out every other week during the season. I just freshened up the engine in October 06 so it's running great and always gets us back from where-ever we're wandering around in the dez. We did put it on it's side once out there with absolutly zero damage, even the wider fiberglass fenders escaped damage. Flopped it back on it's feet and away we went.

One thing I've noticed is the Thing does NOT like sand. I get stuck pretty easy even aired down so learned to not attempt anything very sandy unless I have backup. It seems to like mud though.

JohnF
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been drooling over this 73 thing since i was 12 years old.
my grandfather bought it in 1985 for 500 with no engine in it.
because the p.o. had converted it to an electric car.
shortly thereafter he bought a rusty 73 thing with a fairly new engine in it for 500 bucks.
after making two into one, he sold the remains for 600 bucks. (way to go gramps!!)
a couple of years ago at a family gathering, my grandfather told me he was selling it.
he had since moved to arizona and the car was down there.
luckily he had not changed the plates so they are still the original.
I quickly gathered up the asking price of 3k and motor-homed down to AZ for a little vacation and to pick up my new toy.
Now, i've had VW's since i was 15, but i had gotten out of them for a few years in the late 90's early 2000's
since aquiring "the Thing", i hav been bitten by the "bug" all over again.
i now own a total of 6 vw's and have no plans of stopping.
someday i hope to give her a full body off resto Very Happy
my driver:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

my project:

Last edited by norcalmike on Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
pewe_kodok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello all,

I am Ruben from Indonesia
introduce me and my 181, pic can be seen at
http://students.if.itb.ac.id/~if12030/my_Thing/resize

the car is running but missing some part :
1. oil bath air cleaner
2. some engine tin
3. head lights not glow
4. inside brake fluid reservoir cracked and by passed directly to master
5. pad to hold windshield when folded down
6. brake warning light, flasher, gloves compartment

one thing amaze me. my 181 chassis number begin with 261, is it correct?

this forum is great. many useful info (especially about Thing) here Smile
cheers

Ruben
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no Thing Mafia.
GSD_Master
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
I bought my Thing two years ago here on thesamba as my first vehicle ever! It was high school graduation present. My grandma, I think, was expecting me to pick something a little more contemporary. She's finally gotten over I wanted a Thing. I've been using it as a daily driver ever since.
TikiMojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: howdy from oregon! Reply with quote

I bought my '74 in 1998 for about $4k here in Portland, Oregon!

Sure is loads of fun! Been able to keep the top down for the past few days by hiding under the carport when it's raining.

Meanwhile, here's a nice summery photo:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
itiot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sold mine last month, but when a friend tipped me last week about a 77 at a dealers i had to buy it so i am now back on the thing.

Glad to be here
Keep them running.

Greetings Andy from denmark

http://Killer-products.dk
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
kerinon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: I'm a Virgin Thinger Reply with quote

Guess what I got for Mother's Day????? Yeah for me!! Just got my '74 Thing and am loving it!! All of the hard work was already done and she's road ready. We do have just a couple of bugs, but we've already been crusin'!

SO happy to be part of this small club! Laughing

Keri in Marietta Ohio
sathing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I bought my Thing about 3 years ago just because I liked the shape and off course because it had an air-cooled engine. I only learned that it was a Thing about six months later after looking for the missing parts i.e. side windows, a soft top and soft top frame.

I drove my Thing at least once a week this summer (mostly dirt roads) and enjoyed every minute of it. I recently finished making the side windows, top frame and top and I’m looking forward to more time with her during this winter.

Oh yes... She is a 1970 182 (Her registration papers calls her a VW Jeep)

DesertGolfGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: new thing owner Reply with quote

Another Phoenician with a thing for Things. Bought it locally, in fairly bad shape with no cancer. Paint, dents, mechanical. But I have driven it to work (23 miles) most of the last two months. Drops a lot of oil so I am pulling the engine next week when I get home from vacation.

Questions and assistance. Assume it has stock tranny. Would I be better off buying freeway flyer since most driving is freeway? (Doesn't that have 5 forward gears?) There is vibration in rear at 65 and up so only had to 70mph downhill. Vibration not wild. How does amateur mechanic find problem...tranny? axes? cv joints? Pls recommend good tranny shop and good engine shop in Phoenix. Want to build my own engine but need to take this one apart and see if it is worth saving.

Thanks!
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: new thing owner Reply with quote

DesertGolfGuy wrote:
Another Phoenician with a thing for Things. Bought it locally, in fairly bad shape with no cancer. Paint, dents, mechanical. But I have driven it to work (23 miles) most of the last two months. Drops a lot of oil so I am pulling the engine next week when I get home from vacation.

Questions and assistance. Assume it has stock tranny. Would I be better off buying freeway flyer since most driving is freeway? (Doesn't that have 5 forward gears?) There is vibration in rear at 65 and up so only had to 70mph downhill. Vibration not wild. How does amateur mechanic find problem...tranny? axes? cv joints? Pls recommend good tranny shop and good engine shop in Phoenix. Want to build my own engine but need to take this one apart and see if it is worth saving.

Thanks!

Congratulations on your purchase!

Ahh, thread highjacking Very Happy

OK, a freeway flyer is geared taller so that you can drive faster with less power. A 5 speed gearbox is usually much costlier and usually from a Porsche. A 5 speed box also doesn't fit the same, so you'll have to do some fabrication work to make it all fit. A freeway flyer is much easier to install.

Vibration can come from several places, but unlikly to be the tranny, axles or CV joints. Is it vibration in the steering wheel? (steering dampener, tire balance, bearings, ball joints) Is it vibration in the rear or whole chassis? (tire balance, bearings, rear bushings) Or are you just talking about the engine causing a lot of vibration as it revs?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
howiesfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I traded my 78 Westy and 64 Notch for a 73 Thing. Now if I can just figure out how to operate this gas heater for this winter. Think

Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

howiesfamily wrote:
Now if I can just figure out how to operate this gas heater for this winter. Think

I just distilled the links and advice from past threads into this page:
http://veewiki.com/HeaterBN4

Anyone can edit it. If I left anything out, feel free to add more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KevinMurphy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Introduction Reply with quote

Hello,

My name is Kevin Murphy and I have a Thing problem.

Some may remember my son and I from the NEVWTA and two KTEs. Remember that thunderstorm on Skyline Drive and the next one in Roanoke!

Been a member of numerous Thing organizations over the years. Registry, etc. Been out of touch for a few years. Spending time with my teenagers.

Sorry to hear about Basso and how it has affected others.

Have owned a '73 since '79. Disk brakes, 4 lug drums, 4" lift, fiberglas fibers, beetle transmission, custom trailer hitch. Under-built last engine (1991) with jug spacers, just did the electronic points.

Kevin Murphy
Baltimore, Maryland, USA
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: hi kevin Reply with quote

hey kevin,
I am still around and doing much better now, i may be going to asheville in my thing, going back to basics. talk at you soon.
74 black thing
73 white with air conditioning
and 3 or 4 yard cars
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
addh79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: once a crook always a crook Reply with quote

who are you planning on stealing from there? I will send the cops!
cjnfiremn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My name is Sam and I am from South Central Louisiana, I purchased my first VW Thing today. Dancing A '74 needing floor pans, seats, top, and a whole lot of tender loving care and attention. I have been lurking this fourm for a long time reading and learning. When I get a chance I will try to get some pctures of my progress from start to finish. Very Happy

And you and keep up with my progress at my photobucket album:

http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z11/cjnfiremn/?action=view&current=DSC02276.jpg
frankfoamydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: how do i post? iI am in south jersey and want to get togethe Reply with quote

I live near atlantic city. I wanted to get some things together to spend a day to drive to the Cape may /lewes ferry and take a trip to Lewes on the ferry . Then meet up with thingers there, spend a few hours and take the ferry back and perhaps have dinner at Stewarts in northfield nj. Atllantic city is 15 minutes away. I was thinking end of september.
frank
[email protected] or [email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 30

Jump to: