Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pulling my GoWesty 2.2 motor - I just bought a 1992 Subaru
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Pulling my GoWesty 2.2 motor - I just bought a 1992 Subaru Reply with quote

So Dudes,

I've decided to get serious about converting my 1984 Wolfsburg van to SUBARU power. I currently have a GoWesty 2.2 engine with under 10,000 miles on it. It's in excellent shape with 20/50 synthetic inside. What's the best way to go about selling it? Should I....

A) Pull engine; remove all things on top; sell as a long block with the intake manifold on. . . which is how GoWesty ships it.
a. put everything else in boxes and sell it off piece by piece

B) Pull engine; leave everything on; sell as is

I'm looking to maximize the fact it's a GoWesty engine. All the stuff on top is in decent condition with some parts new, some parts original. It's the motor that's worth something, not the stuff on top. Obviously I'm going to keep some of the top items for conversion purposes.

I am NOT (Dogpilot slaps Freakness on the back of the head) going to ship it anywhere. I'm in the heart of the S.F. Bay Area so someone can come by and pick it up.

Finally...........what do you think a decent asking price is.....'cause I know they're in demand.

In case anyone is wondering, if I pull the motor and render the vehicle inoperable, it'll get me motivated to do the conversion; otherwise I'll put it off until Doomsday. That's just the kind of dude I am.
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile

Last edited by ChesterKV on Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ship it, all you really need is a pallet and some straps and plastic pallet wrap. You will get more money for it if you are willing to do this. It is just what you time is worth. Most Motor Freight folks will pick up, it is cheaper if you drop it off at the terminal.

I would sell it in the GoWesty config and piece off the rest.

A nice pic of a clean motor on a pallet would sell better than a come and get it.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G

Last edited by Dogpilot on Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Pulling my GoWesty 2.2 motor this month - need advice Reply with quote

freakness wrote:
.... Obviously I'm going to keep some of the top items for conversion purposes.

I just woke up... must be too early for me. What components are you keeping? btw, did you check out that $500 complete 2.2 I posted about?
Raynor Shine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakness- since it only has 10k miles on it, why rerplace it with a suby? are you going 2.2 , Wrx or Svx?

If you are going 2.2 are you really gaining that much from the go westy? Are you not satisified with the GW? Just curious.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakness,

Have I not been bugging you every few now and then about that engine???? Don't you think I want it or something?????

Sigh.......

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulling my GoWesty 2.2 motor this month - need advice Reply with quote

levi wrote:
freakness wrote:

I just woke up... must be too early for me. What components are you keeping? btw, did you check out that $500 complete 2.2 I posted about?

Which one is that????? I mean, if I can not buy one, I could buy another, right?

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samba classifieds, vanagon parts, page 4. Engine complete w/ harness and all the stuff. I've already got mine in, otherwise....
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raynor Shine wrote:
Freakness- since it only has 10k miles on it, why rerplace it with a suby? are you going 2.2 , Wrx or Svx?

If you are going 2.2 are you really gaining that much from the go westy? Are you not satisified with the GW? Just curious.

I'm going to install an EJ22 2.2 motor. Why ? - 'cause it's WAY greener/cleaner than the ancient WBX motors which in California means A LOT

- It's going to get mildly better gas mileage which is a money-saving thing long-term

- It's going to have more power (not tons more but hey) and that is an addictive thing. Since I don't do cocaine I figure I need something else to blow money on Rolling Eyes

Is there anything wrong with the GoWesty WBX engine? - Well, no. It is the zenith/pinnacle/top-of-the-mountain of WBX technology. It is, however, not the motor I want to be using in 2010 or 2020.
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
Freakness,

Have I not been bugging you every few now and then about that engine???? Don't you think I want it or something?????

Sigh.......

You've never bugged me (I think you mean BUSSED me Rolling Eyes ) However, as I mentioned from your very first e-mail last year, I was never interested in shipping it 'cause there's theoretically a lot of demand for this motor right here in the S.F. Bay Area. Maybe I'm right, maybe not, but I'll keep you updated.
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulling my GoWesty 2.2 motor this month - need advice Reply with quote

levi wrote:
freakness wrote:

What? Huh ? I never look there....lol. You have/had a Subaru EJ22 motor for sale ? Think
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look about 3 messages above. Added this info to one of your postings a couple days ago. No, NOT mine. Sorry, guess I was too lazy/forgot to pm you with the info.
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,

I just bought a 1992 Subaru Legacy 5-speed with 180k miles on the odometer. $ 400.00 bucks. I'll make a new post and you dudes can check out my antics over the next couple of months.

- FINALLY
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not a slap on the head, but I just crave money. Its like breathing, my lungs crave air, and my family craves money. It is true, that the Bay Area is one of the best markets. It is just that the folks in AZ, OR,WA,UT, CO and NM need engines too. They would probably pay a bit more to get one due to the scarcity of donors and only web access to the folks at Van Cafe and GoWesty.

Ask what you would want to get for local and be more avaricious if you have to ship it. Make it worth your time.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the best way to sell an engine is to leave it in the car so someone can run it and test it. You will probably get a lot more money if someone can hear it run. If you can't do that, take it to a VW mechanic an have them do a complete engine check and document all the readings; compression, blow down, exhaust readings, etc. This will give the buyer some assurance the engine is good before buying.
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDX is right! Since your in a hurry, video it running and make an MP4 file so you can link it to the ad.

With so many mechanics, even with their parole officer standing behind them nodding their head, their word is not exactly good. So a testament from them would not be as good.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
I found the best way to sell an engine is to leave it in the car so someone can run it and test it. You will probably get a lot more money if someone can hear it run. If you can't do that, take it to a VW mechanic an have them do a complete engine check and document all the readings; compression, blow down, exhaust readings, etc. This will give the buyer some assurance the engine is good before buying.

Yeah....I'm thinking about this at the moment. Actually, at this very moment, I'm too tired to think about moments of any kind...... Neutral
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, I think you are stressing too much over this. Just sell the engine here on the Samba and also list it on craigslist. I bet you won't have ANY problem selling it, local pickup no shipping. Throw out a price and I wouldn't be surprised if someone right here on this forum wants it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinbassplayer wrote:
Dude, I think you are stressing too much over this. Just sell the engine here on the Samba and also list it on craigslist. I bet you won't have ANY problem selling it, local pickup no shipping. Throw out a price and I wouldn't be surprised if someone right here on this forum wants it.

Yeah dude....no worries....I just got off of work (cabinetry retrofit today) so my brain is fried. Being in the Bay Area is finally going to pay off I think. I'll come up with a price and availability in the next couple of days.

...yawn.... #Sleep
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I tried to sell the engine out of my 89 Westy that got totaled on the front end, no one would take my word that it was a strong running no leak engine. There was no way to get it running to listen to it, so to anyone who was interested, it was only good as a core. Someone even wanted to know if I would warrenty it. Come on....

It would be great peace of mind to any buyer to see and hear the engine run. Just my experience from trying to sell a good engine.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: