Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

wbx tin/splash shields
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bambus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: wbx tin/splash shields Reply with quote

gang: in my on-going resurrection campaign of the 85 i've pulled all the tin that covers the pushrods and the splash panels from left and right sides (to help w/ access to the exhaust hardware). I finally get to look at that flaky oil press sender-- question is whether i can run around temporarily w/o this tin-- it looks merely to be puddle/splash protection, and i won't be driving in such conditions anytime soon.

I cut my Vanagon teeth on an aircooled 81, so i was religious about cooling tin sealing there, but these wbx panels just seem to be splash protection for the injector gear electrics and the relays/ign control unit on the left side

Any harm running w/o?
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this very moment, a hundred retired German engineers are heaving a collective SIGH
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
Bambus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freakness wrote:
At this very moment, a hundred retired German engineers are heaving a collective SIGH

Ja, they do that every other night when the beer runs out and the wurst starts digesting.

But what about the tin? Didya catch the part about A: "wbx" and 2: "temporary" ?
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't go any longer than 8 years, 7 months.
Depends a little on what kind of brine you drive in in the winter.
I had a little trouble with the connection for the Digifant temp sensor at the thermostat housing being corroded on two of mine about a year ago.
Oh, hell, that one wasn't covered anyway!
The Subie waiting on the shelf won't care, in my case.
This is typical of VW engineering- totally anal in some respects, yet don't even address the major flaws in the engine and tranny.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine have all been off temporarily for 9 years, 4 months. I temporarily threw them in the shitpile the minute they came off. They're still temporarily in the bottom of a landfill somewhere.

Honestly, I think the engineers just stuck them on there as a matter of habit. It took them 7 1/2 years to finally say "Was haben wir gedenken?" ("Vat vere ve tinking?" ). By that time the wbx was out of production.

They serve no useful purpose I can ascertain, unless it was deemed useful that the engine should be extra-hard to work on. I drive thru a creek crossing daily to get to and from my home, with the water 2 feet deep, rushing and full of big chunks of ice in the winter, and no silly splash shield is going to keep the engine dry under that kind of use. I have never experienced any detrimental effects due to this "abuse".

Chuck 'em, I say.

Last edited by tencentlife on Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jakebayless
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to chime in as someone who likes to drive my WBX with 4WD engaged, on RCKYRDS.

I think the tin serves a crucial purpose by being a superb first defense against errant ROCKS being thrown against the weak, thin, poorly designed *pushrod tubes*.

Of course, if you never drive on gravelly or rocky roads, you never have to worry about that, right?

...my 2 cents.

Oh, and they look great by showing new leaks when powdercoated black.

~jake
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is the protection from the stray rock thrown up by a tire, but I live up a fairly nasty road, and explore on much worse, and it's never happened. It could, but never has. For me, I'm willing to trade that tiny risk for having good visual access to the whole engine. I want to see leaks where they start, not secondarily where they drip onto something else. Besides, that's why those awful VW repair tubes were invented (you know, the ones that leak more than the leak you were fixing?).

Then there's the tubes themselves: I don't use the stock tubes anymore, as of 1 1/2 years ago. The heavier aluminum telescoping tubes I use now would sustain a rock hit pretty well, so that's a moot point for me anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
I don't use the stock tubes anymore, as of 1 1/2 years ago. The heavier aluminum telescoping tubes I use now would sustain a rock hit pretty well, so that's a moot point for me anyway.

just if your wondering what tubes
http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1395
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Them's them.

So yeah, to be totally fair there is some protection afforded by the lower plates that cover the tubes, but as for the shields that go around the sides of the engine bay, they just seem to make it harder to work on the motor. So to the original question, keeping the tin at all is optional.

Maybe they put them in to fool unsuspecting aircooled fans who didn't know that the new motor was watercooled.
danocox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya subaru does the same thing, just connected to the frame. they protect the case from water and debris that could harm the engine, that is the only reason that they were put on. do you need them? I dont know, seems like many people have done fine without them.

would marry the van if it was leagal
Bambus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the confirms, lads. Although as soon as i had the lowers off i did see them serving as a very light duty bash-plate of sorts for the pushrod tubes. That kind of exploring is one of my fave attribues of the bus/Vanagon, but realistically, i'll just be glad to get this thing operating soundly on the damned tarmac, forget offroad.

tencentlife wrote:
I temporarily threw them in the shitpile the minute they came off. They're still temporarily in the bottom of a landfill somewhere.

Same here-- i guess i've been too spoiled by working on cycles the last several years, and don't have as much patience with 4-wheelers as i once did. When these tin pieces were out i flung them into a brand-new shit pile made just for the occasion. Flung, when "put down nicely" would have sufficed. Ahh wrenching in the Florida summers.

Laters,

MRP
Van-go108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bambus wrote:
But what about the tin? Didya catch the part about A: "wbx" and 2: "temporary" ?

You forgot about "III". How cool the shields would look if they were polished. I have often wondered how long I could have them off wilst I did this.

Thanks Guys.

BTW...Why not have them on there anyway? I do a lot of off-road driving.

1973 Thing
1957 Continental Mark II Click to view image
Van-go108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tclark wrote:
tencentlife wrote:
I don't use the stock tubes anymore, as of 1 1/2 years ago. The heavier aluminum telescoping tubes I use now would sustain a rock hit pretty well, so that's a moot point for me anyway.

just if your wondering what tubes
http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1395
Those would fit the 1.9/2._ WBX?

1973 Thing
pete000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looking at those wondering the same think. I am probably going to ditch mine shortly. I also do not drive on gravel roads.

I am excited to think how much faster my bus will be arter loosing all those ounces !
Koni Shocks
H & R Red Springs
Addco Sway Bars Front-Rear
18 X 7.5 and 18 X 8 OEM Porsche Wheels
Recaro Power-Heated seats
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Those would fit the 1.9/2._ WBX?

Ahyup. I had to hunt far and wide to find a telescoping tube that would work on the wbx case. The aftermarket tubes are intended for Type 1's, which normally have 21mm OD on both ends. The wbx tubes are 21mm at the head end, but the case end is 25mm, for reasons unknown. But, some of the aftermarket tubes are made to be used with high-ratio rockers, so the outer ends are made larger to clear the pushrods better. So I called CB and had them measure the Jaycee tubes, and it turns out that the outer ends are 24mm. They include some washers that back up the seals, so if you invert these they fit a wbx real nice. If you had to buy a new set of wbx tubes, these are actually about the same price, but much more durable and easy to repair if you have any leaks. Mine have been on there a year now and never a leak. Pretty colors, too.

I would actually consider putting the lower shields back on (if i still had them) if only they didn't attach at the exhaust port studs. But I'm not of a mind to have to remove several of the exhaust nuts just to have access to the engine, and as I don't see a strong need for them to be there, they stay off. That way, I can also loll around underneath and gaze at my pretty pushrod tubes.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you on the unhappy means of attachment by the exhasut studs.
I suppose the WBX pushrod tubes are bigger than type 1's because the lifters are bigger diameter. Remember, the type 1's use nail type followers.
Has anyone ever seen the tubes for the 1980 Vanagon 1.6 engine? CN, maybe? I suppose it is the direct predecessor of the wbx.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pete000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just pulled mine off last nite, Easy to do. I was suprised to see the previous owner had all the exhaust mounting hardware replaced with nice stainless complete with anti seize. Made it a snap to come off.

All my tubes are dry and clean ! I can see why VW engineers put these shields on there as some of these vans were used in extreeme off road conditions. Mine never will.

I also noticed the engine seems ever so slightly louder at idle. Those shields are double thick and might provide a bit of sound proofing. Might just be me.

I think I will throw thses shields in the pile of stuff going to the powder coaters. They might find their way back on some day.
Koni Shocks
H & R Red Springs
Addco Sway Bars Front-Rear
18 X 7.5 and 18 X 8 OEM Porsche Wheels
Recaro Power-Heated seats
Van-go108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete000 wrote:

I can see why VW engineers put these shields on there as some of these vans were used in extreeme off road conditions.

I also noticed the engine seems ever so slightly louder at idle. Those shields are double thick and might provide a bit of sound proofing.

I think I will throw thses shields in the pile of stuff going to the powder coaters. They might find their way back on some day.

I think I'll change out my hardware too after polishing the shields. I see a value in them. They make nice rats nest too.

1973 Thing
funagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the splash guard to hold up the oil pressure sender for my VDO gauge. Got the kit at Van-cafe.com. (Only one wire connected in the pics, because I was in the process of hooking it up. One wire goes to the idiot light, and one to the analog gauge.)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've also noticed that the engine is a little more noisy with all the tin removed.

An an old VW guy told me that polishing valve covers won't allow them to radiate as much heat, and that painting 'em black will dissipate more heat from the engine. I don't know if it's true but painting all the accessories black allows them to match my black oil filter, and newly painted engine support bar and intake plenum, etc.
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an extra set of aluminum valve covers in a box somewhere. Might drop the oil temp a half a degree or so!

They'll probably stay in the box....

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: