Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Power outside mirrors
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Power outside mirrors Reply with quote

I bought an outside power mirror setup from an 86 on Vanagon (I think 86 was the first year for this option?). Anyhow, my question is this: is the black/yellow wire the "+" connection (battery)? On the wiring I recieved, this is the only wire that is not part of any connector, and it looks like it was cut. If this is indeed the "+" (battery) connection, I plan to put a female spade connector on it and plug it into the fuse panel.

My Bentley only goes to 85 models, so it does not show the power mirrors wiring.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Power outside mirrors Reply with quote

bucko wrote:
I bought an outside power mirror setup from an 86 on Vanagon (I think 86 was the first year for this option?). Anyhow, my question is this: is the black/yellow wire the "+" connection (battery)? On the wiring I recieved, this is the only wire that is not part of any connector, and it looks like it was cut. If this is indeed the "+" (battery) connection, I plan to put a female spade connector on it and plug it into the fuse panel.

My Bentley only goes to 85 models, so it does not show the power mirrors wiring.

Found my answer here:

http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed/campingart/vanagon/87vanagonschmatics/index.htm

Yes, the black/yellow wire is power, and it connects to fuse 12.

ESK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you found the answer! I have a set with harness that I got off ebay a while ago, but I need to get this thing to pass smog before I can start working on upgrades like that. (Seems like every little thing I 'fix' makes it run worse.)

I would love to hear how your installation goes, particularly with regard to the wiring and what you do about the third mounting screw. (This is assuming you are transplanting into your '84.)

Good luck with the installation!

-Elliott
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Third screw is easy. Just drill the hole for it in your doors. Place a piece of tape on the door before you drill; keeps the paint from chipping while you drill.

The only other wiring you need to pay attention to is a white/green wire from each mirror. These attach to the defrost switch you will have (?) on the right side of your instrament cluster, pin 3.

Use the schematic link I provided. It's for an 86 (first year for power mirrors), but the wiring is close for the earlier years like our 84's.

mr_vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=812 was a big help when I repaired the power mirrors on my '89. Might also help with adding power mirrors where none existed before. Also, I recommend that you saw off the mirror stops on the steel plate that the motor mounts to. This gives you a huge increase in mirror travel over stock. I'm not sure why the stops are even there especially since the procedure for removing them is covered in the later bentley.
One more thing, the paint I've found closest to the stock color and finish on the mirrors (and aero bumpers too) is called bumper coating by duli-color. I get it at autozone
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ESK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am bookmarking this thread for when I can get around to doing mine. And that paint looks great! I'll look for some. (The mirrors I got are currently white, which doesn't really go with the van.) Thanks guys!

-Elliott
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: