Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best year to convert to Disc?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Typ311Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Best year to convert to Disc? Reply with quote

I'm sure this has been discussed before, and probably a repost, but here goes....I have a 70 Westy, orig brake set-up, considering conversion to disc, understand 71 is first year disc brakes, but is there a better year to convert to? and does it really matter?

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - Gen George S. Patton
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe 71 calipers only had one bleeder, whereas later ones had 2, but I'm not sure of the years on that - been a looooonnnnnnngggg time.
Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blu67Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that '71 & '72 Buses have the same brake parts, but whatever year you convert to, you'll need more than just the brakes themselves. For a '71, you'll also need the Master Cylinder, Proportioning Valve (in rear) and Vacuum Booster. without installing these parts, you're asking for trouble.
I think you'd be better off just getting a bus that already is setup for Power Disc Brakes.
Typ311Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blu67Bug wrote:
I believe that '71 & '72 Buses have the same brake parts, but whatever year you convert to, you'll need more than just the brakes themselves. For a '71, you'll also need the Master Cylinder, Proportioning Valve (in rear) and Vacuum Booster. without installing these parts, you're asking for trouble.
I think you'd be better off just getting a bus that already is setup for Power Disc Brakes.

I probably should have considered that before I bought this bus, but it's too late now. I went to Tennessee to get this one. It's clean, all original, never even had a radio in it (block off plate), interior was immaculate and it was obvious the owner never really used it or had kids, never hit, no dents, rust, body straight, paint good, and everything even slightly comparable in SoCal was at the least 3,000 dollars more, so I jumped on it. Two years later, the 1600 DP died, and I put a 1835 w/dual weber 40's, freeway flyer, and a lot of extras, so I have a lot invested. So going back to square one is not an option, hell I'll go troll the junk yards to look for the front end system of another bus, I'm just sick of the drums and the forever time it takes to break! I'm thinking I have 71 thru 79 to choose from for practicality/performance/cost, was thinking converting to 71 right off the bat, but just started thinking if there was any other better year to convert to?

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - Gen George S. Patton
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typ311Dave wrote:
It's all original and the 1600 DP died

These two do not belong together. The DP was 1971 ONLY. 68-70 as single port.....

71 and 72 calipers and spindles and rotor are 2 year only.

73-79 calipers, spindles, and rotors are the better choice.

BUT, either way will require 2 spares.....

Unless you go with the wide 5 conversion. But I see Wolfgang is no longer offering it? http://www.wolfgangint.com/SubPages/SinglePartDisp...QkQn698EA4
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 66 bus and a 67 bus with the drum brakes. I have no desire or need to install disc brakes in the front. [I also have a 76, a 77, a 78, and a 79...all Westies]

The 4 drum brakes work as good as the disc/drum later buses when the brakes are in good shape and adjusted correctly. The 66 has the single master, the 67 has the dual master. VW went dual for safety reasons.

I would do a little investigating and adjusting and bleeding 1st before I converted.....
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only real difference between the 71-72, and the 73-79 is the frequency of pad changes. the 71-72 have a 10mm thick pad, while the 73-79 is 14mm thick. the square inches of contact are the same and the rotor is the same diameter. so the later ones are not more powerful

also, some of the 71s had just one bleeder while other 71s came from the factory later that year with two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spindles are different.

211 405 311 E Left 71-72
211 405 312 E Right 71-72

211 405 311 F Left 73-79
211 405 312 F Right 73-79

The 74 caliper will not work with the 71-72 spindles.

And you have to use 73-79 rotors too (211 615 301 B).
71-72 rotors are 211 615 301 A.
http://www.bus-boys.com/bb609.htm#discs
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HUBS ARE THE SAME 68-79. oops, caps lock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Typ311Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl wrote:
I have a 66 bus and a 67 bus with the drum brakes. I have no desire or need to install disc brakes in the front. [I also have a 76, a 77, a 78, and a 79...all Westies]

The 4 drum brakes work as good as the disc/drum later buses when the brakes are in good shape and adjusted correctly. The 66 has the single master, the 67 has the dual master. VW went dual for safety reasons.

I would do a little investigating and adjusting and bleeding 1st before I converted.....

That will be tonight.....and I like your rationale. I have to think of the money factor too, how much would I be talking about in terms of the conversion, a grand or more?

aggri1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could change the rear axles to late (Bay) style too, then you'd have 5x112 stud pattern all around and not have to carry two spares, and of course best is that you then have composite (rear) drums - for all the occasions you need to take off the drum it's much easier. Smile

Hehe, I'm leaving my '69 stock, but the split's getting disks. Those that say the drums can stop as well as the disks forget to mention that (without a booster), to make them stop you need to absolutely STAND on the brake pedal, and there's the fade issue. Go the disks! I have a '74 too, and it's so much easier to stop than either of the (non-boosted) drum setups.

Cheers, A.
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Those that say the drums can stop as well as the disks forget to mention that (without a booster), to make them stop you need to absolutely STAND on the brake pedal,

not to mention that if drums are just as good then VW was all wrong about the discs???????? Confused Hmmm, lets see. Uh......... NNNNOOOOOOO!!!!
Blu67Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not forget the fact that VW put Disc Brakes on their Karmann Ghias and European Beetles!! It should be obvious that VW decided to upgrade their cars with the better brakes at the point when they began to make so serious changes to their lineup of vehicles. I think they also put disc's on the Type 3's but I'm not sure. All of these brake changes occured near the end of the 60's into the early 70's.
Peace Cool
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh-oh, did i kill the thread?
aggri1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dansvans wrote:
uh-oh, did i kill the thread?

Good one dansvans...Rolling Eyes

Smile

Also, CSP makes a disc conversion kit which keeps wide 5 wheels for split and early bay busses. Maybe pricier than some alternatives, but I've only heard good stuff about it. They do now have one for 14" wheels.

Here is a pic: http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?t=1966

Cheers, A.
dtrumbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aggri1 wrote:
Also, CSP makes a disc conversion kit which keeps wide 5 wheels for split and early bay busses. Maybe pricier than some alternatives, but I've only heard good stuff about it. They do now have one for 14" wheels.

Here is a pic: http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?t=1966

Cheers, A.

I used this kit on my '70 that I bought from Wolfsburg West. I absolutely LOVE it! It installed easily, with excellent instructions. It is pricey, but I highly recommend it. The only thing I had to do that wasn't straightforward was to install a bolt in the left-turn steering stop so the right tire didn't rub when turning left. I felt pretty good that on a project of this scope, that was the only thing that required any extra attention. You should have no problem if you go with this kit.
1976 Transporter.
1978 Riviera Camper.
1979 Transporter.
1979 Beetle.
toddgsanford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

once upon a time i thought I might want to make the switch on my 69 sunroof i acquired all the parts off fo a 72 I parted out the tipping point for me was either replacing the beam or welding the bracket n for the master/booster from the 72 to my beam. but yes you do end up changing the rear brakes as well to make all the wheels the same. decided to go through my existing brakes and replace all the lines and wheel cylinders its stops just fine. your friendly neighborhood pull a part would be a great place to acquire all the parts at a reasonable price.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: