Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cold Weather Carb Idea
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Cold Weather Carb Idea Reply with quote

I've been thinking about cutting a hole in the floor right above the carb and extending the air cleaner to the inside of the bus for winter operation. I am thinking that by doing this, the carb will not ice up, the fuel mixture will be warmer, and the vacuum created in the passenger area will pull in more heat from the stock heater outlets. I know a lot of you are thinking I am crazy, but what do you really think of this? Anyone ever tried it?
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just hook up the stock pre-heat tube?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

///Mink wrote:

All of the stock air cleaner parts are long gone. I am using a $10 chrome air cleaner. The main reason I am thinking of this is for the better heat due to the vacuum created in the bus.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bit of air the carb draws would be like a drop in a bucket.

You would have a cold, noisy bus with an extra hole in it (OK, it's already cold and noisy but no need to start hacking for mods that dont help).

Start watching the classifieds for an air cleaner with a preheater and put an inline booster fan in the heat tube.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
vwsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
The bit of air the carb draws would be like a drop in a bucket.

Not sure about that. Ever tried putting your hand over the carb with no air cleaner even at idle?
The bus is pretty butchered already, another hole won't matter much. Actually it is solid with no holes or rust, but I fixed it with what I had. (C channel for rockers and flat sheet metal for floors. Doesn't look bad, but far from origanal.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stock carb doesn't draw near as much air as the heating system pushes. I highly doubt that cutting the hole as you describe would change the temperature in your bus in the winter, and it wouldn't help with the carb icing either. Get a stock air cleaner with all of its warm air gear and make sure your crossover tube in the intake manifold is clear. The icing is cused (or maybe just helped along) by the long intake runners being so far away from anything warm. Setting your carb that much farther away is asking for more problems. I considered using the heating mechanism from snowmobile handwarmers and wrapping them around the throat of the intake manifold just below the carb. I ended up just not driving my VW's in the winter anymore, I drive a toyota truck. Too many stupid people driving way too fast in their SUV's. They are starting to salt roads around here, too. I thought I got away from that when I left Minnnesota
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just line your engine compartment with insolation & block vents, it'll run real warm, maybe even hot Laughing
BumbleBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The action of the carb causes as much of the problem as the outside air temps. Have you ever held down the nozzle to a spray can for an extended period of time and felt the can get cold? Same thing a carb does (sort of). Cutting a hole in your bus and extending the distance needed to travel is pointless.
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your hole would have to be bigger then the aircleaner aswell. Your motor moves when you hit the gas(not alot, but enough), so now you have a big hole letting the outside air in, unless you go with my first suggestion Laughing Laughing
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not hard to find a stock oil bath air cleaner and hook up the pre-heat tube. That pre-heat brings air to the carb that is MUCH warmer than the inside of the bus.
You can do this without having to find ALL the nice pre-heat tin and pipes, while they are nice to have. Just installing the air bath with a good flap and a new piece of hose routed to get the hot air that has blown over the cylinders will make a marked difference.

A carb will ice up even if the manifold heat riser is clear, because of the length of the manifold neck. A longer neck will not improve the situation.
When the carb takes the liquid gasoline and vaporises it this drops the temperature. The cold carberator will have moisture condense on it, or even ice up. This happens more in a cool, moist climate. I have seen carbs ice when the temps are in the 50s in W WA state.

Please don't cut a hole in the top of your engine compartment. Think of how the carb will be in the way when you load things in the back of the bus. Wink VW did design the pre-heat for a reason, and it is simple to install. Hacking a hole in the bus will make it harder to sell, and worth less.

Do you live in the southern hemiphere? It's July!

One hack that my '56 had was a piece of gutter pipe taking about all the warm air from the 1/2 clylinder side and routing it into the engine compartment through a big hole in the apron, and a big hose from that up to the top of the engine compartment. The PO lived in Northern Montana, and I guess had issues with the engine running too cold in winter. You can see that the stock (from the 63 parts bus) air cleaner has the 1" pre-heat tube installed, although it has a wierd routing over the generator. (The engine in the pic is the 40hp from the '63)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I do not recommend that hack, I had to find a better apron. Crying or Very sad
vwsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mintonman wrote:
Just line your engine compartment with insolation & block vents, it'll run real warm, maybe even hot Laughing

Engine - yes
inside of bus - no
vwsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mintonman wrote:
Your hole would have to be bigger then the aircleaner aswell. Your motor moves when you hit the gas(not alot, but enough), so now you have a big hole letting the outside air in, unless you go with my first suggestion Laughing Laughing

No. I don't think I would use any of your suggestions.

To clarify though, I am not moving the carb. I was going to make a FLEXABLE extension between the carb and the cleaner.
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hope not, stock is the way to go or run dual carb, they warm up faster being over the heads. If your idea made that much of a differance VW would have done it originally, but the preheat tubes were a better way to go. Asfor the temp of your heat & how hard it blows out, that all depends on the condition of your main heat tube running from the boxes to the vents up front. Alot of these old busses nolonger have the wrap that belongs on them & rust holes in them. You could also use a smaller pulley to make your fan go faster.
Wayland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even running the stock airfilter without the preheat instead of those POS chrome things seems to help with the icing prob.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mintonman wrote:
Asfor the temp of your heat & how hard it blows out, that all depends on the condition of your main heat tube running from the boxes to the vents up front. Alot of these old busses nolonger have the wrap that belongs on them & rust holes in them. You could also use a smaller pulley to make your fan go faster.

I once was running a smaller gen pulley, and I took it off when it got cold in winter because the engine didn't warm up properly when it was freezing out. They work great in hot weather for making the engine run cooler though.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwsteve wrote:
///Mink wrote:

All of the stock air cleaner parts are long gone. I am using a $10 chrome air cleaner. The main reason I am thinking of this is for the better heat due to the vacuum created in the bus.

what?

and you are also thinking that is is warmer in the bus than it is where the heat is generated, the engine? Laughing good luck with that.
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bigboyztoys.co.uk/index.php?page=shop/f...85df76f020

Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwsteve wrote:
///Mink wrote:

you have answered your own question. you need a stock aircleaner and the preheat pipes that fit your motor. don't cut a hole in your luggage area, that's a really stupid idea imo.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
mintonman wrote:
Asfor the temp of your heat & how hard it blows out, that all depends on the condition of your main heat tube running from the boxes to the vents up front. Alot of these old busses nolonger have the wrap that belongs on them & rust holes in them. You could also use a smaller pulley to make your fan go faster.

I once was running a smaller gen pulley, and I took it off when it got cold in winter because the engine didn't warm up properly when it was freezing out. They work great in hot weather for making the engine run cooler though.

sounds like you had, have a bad thermostat or none at all then cause it shouldn't have opened the flaps until it the temp was up enough to do so.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: