Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Whats the diff between a PICT 30 1 and a PICT30 2 Carb?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DoozerD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: Whats the diff between a PICT 30 1 and a PICT30 2 Carb? Reply with quote

Please and thank you.... Very Happy

Bonus question.
Are they fully interchangable on a 1500 single port H block? The PICT30 1 is the one coming out.
25horseboxer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly... The Pict 1 has no Idle stop solenoid, and the pict 2 does. Either way, they will interchange. If you need to you can run a jumper from + side of coil to the solenoid. The difference also may be the # of adjustment screws. Still wont matter on a H case application.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my recollection a 30 pict-1 is considered a round-body carb and ended in '67. It was used on the 1500cc engines. The 30 pict-2 is a square-body and came out in '68 with the 1600 single port. They act the same and have the same mounting flange but the square-body is not correct for a 1500 or '67 and earlier. The jets are probably wrong as is, too. I don't really like them as they just plain look wrong. You will find more of them at swaps, probably, and a tune up kit gives you all the gaskets for both.
rlevans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked out the Rob and Dave site?
www.vw-resource.com

They have info on all the various carbs and which ones work best with each dizzy etc.
might help Wink
DoozerD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers all. I found that site after I posted. Its a cracking site and no mistake. Not as good as the Samba natch but... Rolling Eyes
25horseboxer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the US version Type 1, the 1500 was the only choice between 67 and 70. 1600 didn't arrive until the Dual port 71. As far as post 67 did they get 1600 singleports in type 2?
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

25horseboxer wrote:
In the US version Type 1, the 1500 was the only choice between 67 and 70. 1600 didn't arrive until the Dual port 71. As far as post 67 did they get 1600 singleports in type 2?

1970 model year was a 1600 single port engine in the united states. it used a large port inside the shroud oil cooler that is 1 year only and had a 30pict-3 carb. 1967 thru 1969 was a 1500 single port in usa while 1971 onwards was a dual port in type 1.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

25horseboxer
Quote:
As far as post 67 did they get 1600 singleports in type 2?

The "B" block came on the first Bay windows starting in '68 and was a 1600 with a square body 30 pict-2 single port, inside cooler, till 71 came out with the dual-port and doghouse cooler. Those had 34 picts I think.
swiss_bulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the diff between a PICT 30 1 and a PICT30 2 Carb? Reply with quote

Hi

According to the parts manual, the PICT30-2 carburator would be the correct for a 12V 1967 bus: http://oacdp.org/5867part/117.png

As I read on here that the PICT30-1 is the correct, I'm confused now Smile. I'm trying to get my engine back to the factory specs. What is now "right"?

Thanks
Nick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the diff between a PICT 30 1 and a PICT30 2 Carb? Reply with quote

See the left side of this page.... from the "Technical" tab >> "Technical Bulletins" >> "Engine and Clutch (M Series)"

And if you really want to get nutty... paste this into a google search:
members.trainorders.com/android/temp/CarbBaseFlangeNumbersA.doc

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

swiss_bulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the diff between a PICT 30 1 and a PICT30 2 Carb? Reply with quote

Thank you easy-e.

I thought, I can use the parts manual as reference for the things I need, but it looks like I can't. Does it mean, that VW mentions the newest revision in the list, which could be used with that combination and therefore it doesn't need to be the normally delivered equipment? So in this example, 30-2 is the latest part which fits on a 44hp engine, but normally it was delivered with a 30-1?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the diff between a PICT 30 1 and a PICT30 2 Carb? Reply with quote

I usually look as many different places as I can, when I'm trying to find something out. Then, see what makes the most sense.

Andy (member Glutamodo) is a well respected member and has put a lot of time into developing two valuable resources.
1) members.trainorders.com/android/temp/CarbBaseFlangeNumbersA.doc
2) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/Bosch_Tune_Up_Parts/Bosch_Tune_Up_Parts.pdf

Both of these resources (and the parts list) point to a 44 bhp '67 bus having a distributor of 131905205.
The carburetor that is designed to work well with this distributor is the 30 PICT-1.

Sometimes there are details in the parts list that are difficult to discern and not always applicable 100% of the time.
swiss_bulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the diff between a PICT 30 1 and a PICT30 2 Carb? Reply with quote

That‘s awesome information, thank you!
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the diff between a PICT 30 1 and a PICT30 2 Carb? Reply with quote

Carburetor distributor
Solex 30 PICT 1 131 905 205
113 905 205 K

Solex 30 PICT 2 113 905 205 M

You could also run a Garbe Lahgmeyer distributor with either
of those carburetors and be correct.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: