Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

carbs
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
z-volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: carbs Reply with quote

Anyone running single 40 idf with full mamifold heating system. How does it run with a stock 1600 dual port. Would it be better than running dual 34's
rfoutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO duals are alway better, but I know that there are some that would disagree.

Duals are more work to keep in tune, as they must be synced.

Randy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fathing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Depends on your taste Reply with quote

Dual 34's are easy to maintain. No hassle there. One single dual throat carburator has to be syncronised too. Because of the different tube length it can be a real pain to get this setup running smooth. The single 40 IDF will give you more torque, (bottom end power) while two FRD 34, ICT 34, Kadrons or best, the new SCAT Solex 38mm carburators will give you more horsepower at higher rpm's and a way better milage. An other inexpensive way to bolt on more power is a set of ratio rockers.

I have a 1300cc single port engine and 2 Baby Dellortos and they give me 8 hp more in my 66 Bug. I used a single 45 DRLA Dellorto on a street buggy with a nearly stock 1600 cc engine with ratio rockers and this gave me 15 hp.
Now I do a similar setup on my Thing. A stock 1600cc with dual 40 DRLA Dellortos (Well I am a Dellorto man) with 1.25 ratio rockers an accu fire ignition on a 009 distributor and a single quite pack exhaust. I hope to get 75 hp out of it. Maybe I am too optimistic, we will see.

Best regards

Dominique Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rfoutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have almost the same set up on (or ready to go on) my 74 thing. The stock 1600 has now been converted to the Compufire DIS ignition system. I have the header on (no more heaterboxes) the 36 dells are in a box, pre-tuned ready to go. I just pick up a set of 1.25 rockers as well.

I noticed a difference with just the headers, can't wait for the rest to go on... but as I get the time.

I like to install, work out the problems (if any) before I add something else, it is easier to sort out the cause if you have not changed too much at one time.

Randy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fathing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: DIS-X Reply with quote

Funny, I was considering the DIS-X ignition as well, but then I thought it was to much money for the bang. How is it, are you happy? I might still go for it. Who knows.

Dominique Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rfoutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it, works great!

Randy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: