Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 Fuel Filler Door Oddity?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: 74 Fuel Filler Door Oddity? Reply with quote

I'll soon be swapping engines in our 74 with the 1.8 I've been rebuilding, and plan on servicing the fuel tank while I'm at it. Our Westy has a fuel filler door, which to my understanding changed in 74 and should not have one?!
Was this a mid-year change, and does anyone else have this?
It makes me wonder which type of fuel sender I have as well, (ie. the $40 one or the $140 one Shocked ).
I'll know soon enough.
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is your 74 fuel injected??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mintonman wrote:
is your 74 fuel injected??

That's a negative, Ghost Rider. She's stock dual carbs.
Did a mid-year switch to F.I. coincide with the removal of the fuel filler flap?
I'm stumped.
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking thats what happened. You probably got one of the last doghouse motor bodies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

73's have the filler door. Maybe yours is an early 74 that was built from a 73 body at the factory?
Best Regards,
John
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after further investigation courtesy of the bodyshop, it seems some previous owner had some shady bodywork done on this. From the photos below, the guy doing the bodywork (from now on referred to as Bob) agrees this section was replaced with an older one, and very poorly!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Holy bondo overload! Shocked Well, I guess that's why the bodywork is getting done...it sure needs it. I'd like to take the person who did this crap & wring his neck!!

Not very visible in this shot, but you can tell there was some welding/priming in that area at some point. I wonder what kind of accident would justify that level of work in this area!
Bob showed me a garbage bin FULL of cheap sheet metal, fibreglass, bondo/rust chunks, etc.

In any event, I'll post more updates in a separate thread as the Bob continues his work. I've been stopping by every few days to drop off parts as needed & snap photos along every step of the way.
Let this be a lesson to some folks how a bus may only show small rust areas...Shocked Shocked
If he's on schedule, I should have this back before the end of July.
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mintonman wrote:
I'm thinking thats what happened. You probably got one of the last doghouse motor bodies.

T4 motor started in '72. Last year for the fuel filler door was '73. F/I was only available in '74 on CA automatics...first year for F/I across the line was '75.

What's the production date of your Bus? Either someone really liked having a filler door and put it in there, or you have a very early '74 with a '73 body.
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:
What's the production date of your Bus? Either someone really liked having a filler door and put it in there, or you have a very early '74 with a '73 body.

I'm not sure on either of those possibilities. Have a look:

Like I mentioned earlier, it appears someone replaced the entire rear passenger side panel, including filler door already attached to the panel.
When I get more photos I'll post links, but to see the area up close you can tell the panel was in fact replaced.
Whoever did this bodywork previously had only one intention in mind, to save money. Now I'm paying to get it done right and have panels welded in, vs. the fibreglass/bondo-buggy approach.
Evil or Very Mad
As far as authenticity goes, all bets are off with the bus being outfitted w/ the 76 & later camper interior, the seats/beds to be re-covered in vinyl (kids spill things, so it's just a practical matter) and the new colour will be Dove Blue.
As for the engine, it's stock displacement with some changes. I still have to transfer some parts from the original engine, but for the most part it's done, just sitting waiting for the bus!

Last edited by Mark on Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine looks good. The production month and year are printed on a sticker on the B Pillar when you open the driver's door. Model years changed in August so anything built 8/73-7/74 is a 74 model.
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much VDubTech, I'll have a look early next week when I drop off some parts for the restoration and snap a photo of that area. Damn that rear hatch seal is $$$!
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Fuel Filler Door Oddity? Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
I'll soon be swapping engines in our 74 with the 1.8 I've been rebuilding, and plan on servicing the fuel tank while I'm at it. Our Westy has a fuel filler door, which to my understanding changed in 74 and should not have one?!
Was this a mid-year change, and does anyone else have this?
It makes me wonder which type of fuel sender I have as well, (ie. the $40 one or the $140 one Shocked ).
I'll know soon enough.

If you have the quick fuel gauge needle and the old-style idiot lights, you have a late '73 bus/early '74. Does your sliding door handle allow you to draw the back of the door flush when you pull the outside handle up? Definitely '73.
Colin
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Fuel Filler Door Oddity? Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:

If you have the quick fuel gauge needle and the old-style idiot lights, you have a late '73 bus/early '74. Does your sliding door handle allow you to draw the back of the door flush when you pull the outside handle up? Definitely '73.
Colin

Err, uh, yeah. Colin is there anything you don't know about these machines? Smile
Looks like there are a few more things for me to check next week when I drop off the parts @ the bodyshop, as I simply don't know the answer to either of those points you mentioned. Are there any further 'tells' that would shed more light on the year this was manufactured?
With all these oddities, I'm leaning towards calling our Westy "Fat Bastard" w/ emphasis on the "Bastard".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: