Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Double cab frame rail replacement--reenforce?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Double cab frame rail replacement--reenforce? Reply with quote

I got a free 1960 double cab and if you saw it you would understand why it was free. Shocked
I have already removed the whole front clip and I have another one that I am going to put on it: pillars, dash, lower window frames, floor, everything. I have two poles in the cab to give it support.
The right front section of the frame rail is tweaked so I am going to cut it off about six inches behind the front outrigger (behind front wheel well) and put in a good frame rail section that I have. Where should I tack weld on some support braces before I cut off the frame rail section?
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They, of course, will be temporary support braces.
Matt K.
Paint and Body Nutcase

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to picture in my head where exactly you are cutting it, but my mind has seemed to stop functioning........
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a pain in the butt because the inner wheel well wall will be removed with the frame rail section, and the dog leg and seat pedestal are already off, along with the front clip, but the right frame rail will be removed from the front end back to about six inches behind the rear of the front wheel well (underneath the front of the cargo floor half). The left and right frame rails will still be connected by the three "I-shaped" cargo floor supports. I was thinking of tack welding on a length of angled steel beneath the right and left frame rails, connecting them together, considering that the I-shaped cargo floor supports connect them on the top. I was worried about it getting "tweaked" if there is no bracing above the cargo floor, though (the truck has no running gear and is on jack stands).
dragonbyu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is how i braced my bus up. this was for replacing the two rear frame pieces but it may give you an idea. you can also see the rear frame areas replaced

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pictures, dragonbyu.
After I weld the two frame rail sections together, I am going to bevel each end (no room to use a bevel on the top and bottom for a better weld) of a metal plate and weld it on the inside of the frame rail, over the welded section, to strengthen it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: