Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

79 bay window won't start
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volksweizen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: 79 bay window won't start Reply with quote

I bought a 79 bay window bus that had sat for a while. After a fuel pump, starter and tune up, it ran great for about an hour. After a short drive, I thought I'd set the timing. (I just set it "static" to get it running.) After attempting to start it, it would just sputter at best. After covering all the basics, I gave up for a bit. Then, after it had cooled down, it started fine. I let it warm up and it died. Went over it again, and nothing. Let it sit, and it almost started again. This led me to believe it was temp related, so I let it sit overnight, and nothing. I'm just hoping someone else has had this experience. I really just want to get it running and get rid of it. I am so disgusted with it, after my bug has been such a great car for years! I'm on my 3rd starter on the bus, just from cranking the engine so much! I just want to get it running, and get out! Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kevin77westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be lots of things.. We need more info please.. Does it run stock FI or carb?? Did you use the right fuel pump? Did you use a new starter or suspicious rebuilt one from auto zone ?? Did you change the starter bushing (assuming its not an automatic)? Are all electrical connections clean and secure?? Checked grounds yet?? Have you got spark?? Is it getting fuel?? Have you checked the fuel tank and lines for obstructions?? If you spin around on a bar stool after Jeager shots, can you hear a tree fall in the woods?? What is the square root of your CV joints? Does your house have insulated windows? Can a dancing spoon twist around a pretzel?? Let us know.. Very Happy Very Happy
Volksweizen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock fuel injection, starter is fine, fuel pump is good, new fuel line, grounds, bushing, etc. That's why I'm stumped. I followed a previous poster's problem, and got nowhere. Any ideas?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fukengruvenoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volksweizen wrote:
Stock fuel injection, starter is fine, fuel pump is good, new fuel line, grounds, bushing, etc. That's why I'm stumped. I followed a previous poster's problem, and got nowhere. Any ideas?

I think you should start by checking for spark. Adjust the points gap then try to get it running again.
Volksweizen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah......spark. Check. Tried that...good spark.
Volksweizen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So. I figured it out. The "cranking" fuel pump relay quit working on me. The vacuum leaks were bad enough that unless the batterey is FULLY charged, it won't crank hard enough to draw the flap open on the mass air flow sensor, witch of course activates the "other" fuel pump relay. No fuel - no "Vroom!" So, I fixed the vacuum leaks, and with a good battery, it will now start, even though I haven't addressed the relay issue. Thanks for all of your help.

Greg
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: