Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lowering
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mstatedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gee....mine rides just fine with an adustable beam, 145s and kyb gas shocks......took the raised spindles off...if you can't take the heat, get off the street.

dog
surferdudedav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you running stock beetle spindles? or dropped?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mstatedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, that was quick, I'm running stock type 1 spindles. I had raised (dropped) spindles but that was too much with the type 1 beam and 145s.

dog

Last edited by mstatedog on Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
rene p. l.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any other way to lower the rear than move the spring plate 1 or 2 notches?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surferdudedav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

know any fat chicks? take em for a ride!
surferdudedav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mstatedog wrote:
wow, that was quick, I'm running stock type 1 spindles. I had raised (dropped) spindles but that was too much with the type 1 beam and 145s.

dob

first off.. I LOVE YOUR QUOTE!!!!

second... was it to low w/ the dropped spindles? did you bottom out the adjusters?? this friday im dropping it w/ a 4" dropped spindles no shocks.. ive got monster truck tires on it right now (165's) lol but swapping them out for 165-45's.... OH YEA! ill post pics!
cubist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My beam scuffs and top of r/hand tyre before the adjusters but then it's only got 40mm clearance beam to tarmac. On a flat road the rides great as it uses stock (new) cofap shocks and has the same suspension travel as a stock bug. All fine unless a bird's accidently lost a tail feather in the road and then the grinding starts! This will improve when i put stiffer shocks up front Laughing
mstatedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The adjusters are not adjusted that far. I guess the combination of raised spindles, type 1 beam and adjusters was a little too much. I have 145-15s on the front.

Sorry for the late response...don't check in too often.

dog
rene p. l.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello,
I've just got my first THING last week-end. Out of the road since 1985 and store inside, I drain the old fuel, a little tune up, and wow... 2 days later it ran like a dream. 44000 miles original, all the receipt since the buy in 74. Now I need to do an overall of brakes and transmission fluid.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now I want to lowered it and I don't know much about Thing.

1- I looked to the CIP1 website and I don't know which spindle I have to buy. They all seems to be for disc brake.

2 - Do a narrowed beam is really necessary?

3 - Did my Thing brakes will fit to the beetle spindle?

4- Any other advice will be appreciated.
surferdudedav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rene p. l. wrote:
hello,
I've just got my first THING last week-end. Out of the road since 1985 and store inside, I drain the old fuel, a little tune up, and wow... 2 days later it ran like a dream. 44000 miles original, all the receipt since the buy in 74. Now I need to do an overall of brakes and transmission fluid.

1- I looked to the CIP1 website and I don't know which spindle I have to buy. They all seems to be for disc brake.

first question low are you trying to go???
rene p. l.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah... sorry.

this height look good...

and I already have a set of MWS BRM 5.5 from my bus to put on the Thing and they have 195/50/15. I think i will need change the tire size to have bigger at the rear and smaller tire in the front.
Erwin vs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rene p. l. wrote:

Just seen your PM.

1: Try spindels for a 65-67beetle.
2: Now narrowing absolutly not necessary. Narrowing is for a beetle to really lay it low or just for the looks on a thing.

3. Yes i believe they will fit, not 100% sure.will check it this weekend.

4. what else you want to know?
cubist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 2" narrowed beam gives more clearance on a very slammed 181 but you may still need to grind the reinforcement plateoff the inner top face of the right fender (OE only) and trim back the inner wing joining panel a few mm's as i did. Not neccessary if you can live with the scuffing!

Your 181 drums will bolt straight up to the dropped beetle spindles without any problems. Wink
surferdudedav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cubist wrote:
A 2" narrowed beam gives more clearance on a very slammed 181 but you may still need to grind the reinforcement plateoff the inner top face of the right fender (OE only) and trim back the inner wing joining panel a few mm's as i did. Not neccessary if you can live with the scuffing!

Your 181 drums will bolt straight up to the dropped beetle spindles without any problems. Wink

whats a reinforcement plate? is that on the beam or the car? also got pics of underneath?
rene p. l.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought a complete beetle ball joint beam yesterday to start with. I loked at the bearing and they are the same as the Thing ones. So I think brakes will be a straight bolt on.

Beetle beam with stock beetle spindles gives 2in of dropped?

Which tires size have the avocado green on BRM thing above?
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rene p. l. wrote:

It's the spindles that are the biggest difference and change the ride height. I don't think the beam will change the height - the Thing's beam just has the extra reinforcements.

http://veewiki.com/TheThing/ThingOnlyParts/FrontEnd
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rene p. l.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, It look the same except for the reinforcement plates.
surferdudedav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Epperson wrote:
rene p. l. wrote:

It's the spindles that are the biggest difference and change the ride height. I don't think the beam will change the height - the Thing's beam just has the extra reinforcements.

http://veewiki.com/TheThing/ThingOnlyParts/FrontEnd

the control arms give alittle height as well
mstatedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my Avacado 181 with BRMs above. I am running 145-15s in the front and 19560R15s in the rear. The rear is down about 2 splines. The front has a 2" narrowed type 1 beam, spindle to spindle with adjusters and 2" narrowed white line sway bar. Your thing drums will fit the type 1 spindles except for the inner bearing. The inside diameter of the inner bearing is different. You have to get the inner bearing that matches the type 1 spindle. You also need the inside seal that matches the spindle year. I am also running kyb gas shocks on all 4 corners and a rear sway bar. The type 1 beam will get you down about 2-3 inches...the rest can be done with the adjusters.

I did not have to trim or cut anything to fit this beam in. If it was any narrower, It would have gotten into the tire well.

dog
rene p. l.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mstatedog wrote:
That's my Avacado 181 with BRMs above. I am running 145-15s in the front and 19560R15s in the rear. The rear is down about 2 splines. The front has a 2" narrowed type 1 beam, spindle to spindle with adjusters and 2" narrowed white line sway bar. Your thing drums will fit the type 1 spindles except for the inner bearing. The inside diameter of the inner bearing is different. You have to get the inner bearing that matches the type 1 spindle. You also need the inside seal that matches the spindle year. I am also running kyb gas shocks on all 4 corners and a rear sway bar. The type 1 beam will get you down about 2-3 inches...the rest can be done with the adjusters.

I did not have to trim or cut anything to fit this beam in. If it was any narrower, It would have gotten into the tire well.

dog

Thanks...
which number you have between 145 and 15? Is it the "Smart" tire? I will start my set up for this summer with a standard beetle beam and maybe lowered spindles. Do you think standard beetle beam will have issues with rubbing the fender?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: