Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Duel Carbs
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ramblinrose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Duel Carbs Reply with quote

Am I crazy for wanting to put duel carbs on a 1600 stock motor? Would I be better off spending my money on a 34 pict-3?
clarkbre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you'd be crazy at all. In fact, tuned correctly, you'll get better gas mileage and better throttle response out of your engine.

There were 2 reasons I ended up not keeping my dual carbs:

1. It was going to be a pain to replace the spark plugs...I should also mention that they were Weber ICT's with the single port manifolds that were extremely short compared to the dual port ones.

2. I bought the carbs used and they needed to be rebuilt...I was just too lazy to rebuild them.

All in all, I will be using dual carbs on the new engine I have since it is a dual port.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dolamite02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm running stock, plus a 110 cam, had I the cash at the time I would have gladly moved to the dual carbs. If you can manage it, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AJ Quick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you get the dual carbs synchronized so they don't duel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
ramblinrose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys for the tips....duel weber's it is!
Mauserdude67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running a set of dual Scat/Solex carbs on a stock 1600DP. I have only added a "GT"-style exhaust just for the sound. It runs really well and sounds sweet. The throttle response off the line is awesome and face it, it just looks cool as hell. I highly recommend them and the Webers are an excellent choice.
conrad1468
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i run dual kadrons. they work great on a stock motor. i never used weber duals. when i had a weber progressive carb on a car it was such a pain to get the motor to run that is was enough for me not to ever buy weber carbs. but thats just me

good luck.. you will definately have a lot more fun driving with dual carbs..
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/FreshAirVWCarClub/info
thesamba link
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=363031
Official website
http://www.freshaircarclub.com/
Look us up on Facebook, too
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run 40idf's on my 2017, and the dual "baby" webers on my 1641. I've run both the kadrons and the baby webers, and i like them both. For a stock or near stock 1600 you cant go wrong with kadrons or the single barrel webers.
VonLininesch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wanted to put dual carbs on my 1600dp engine. I finally picked up a kit for single barrel webers and am quite excited to install them. Although now I've run into a serious oil leak and need to get that fixed up before I put the webers on.

Glad I ran into this post, I was stoked on my webers and then some mechanic shot me down saying it was a horrible idea on my stock engine. Then again, he ripped me off and didn't fix my oil leak, so what does he know.

I'm a little nervous about installing the dual carbs myself, is it that big of a job? ('68 1600dp engine w/ 30/1pic solex carb currently)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: