Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

85 Wheel Cylinders
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrhooie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: 85 Wheel Cylinders Reply with quote

Well, I replaced the master cylinder that was laying on the floor of yet unnamed 85 Westy we bought in June.

Upon bleeding the brakes (which I have a receipt for new pads, drums and wheel cylinders in 2002), my buddy broke off the bleed valve.

I tried removing the old valve with an easy out and broke that too

So i bought new wheel cylinders.

Set at it today and easy got the drum off (I guess they really did do it, even though there's a ton of rust and the NWT is pretty rust free).

Do I have to pull the hub to get at this beast? I've just gone out and borrowed a big crescent wrench as I didnt have anything big enough to loosen the hub nut

I'm a little mechanically challenged but have a great will to learn. Your comments are appreciated!
camo westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off

But the Bentley Book

Lots of pictures and how to's

On the rear drum, it is seperate from that hub which is held in place by the big nut.

Rap on the drum with a hammer, work by tapping between the stud/lug holes, then tap the outer sides, by and by the drum will unfreeze from the hub.

Other option is a big puller to remove the drum. Hammer option #1 always works for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can change it out without pulling the hub, but it is alot easier with it off,
I would replace the shoes just to be done with it, you'll understand why when you start doing it.
here's a tip: needle nose vise grips work good for the springs.
captainpartytime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replace the drums along with the shoes and new springs. I did this and it made a HUGE difference. They're relatively cheap for the performance and piece of mind.

1982 turbo diesel Westfalia
mrhooie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replies. I should have mentioned that I did get the drum off error free and there's tons left on the shoes and drum. They were indeed changed 4000 or so kms ago.

I should have mentioned I do have the Bentley. After a lot of reading, It was the 1st part I ordered in addition to the new Master Cylinder that had to be replaced.

The Bentley does not mention removing the wheel cylinders at all by themselves, I thought there "might" have been a way around the complete disassembly.

I guess I loosen that hub nut and pull the whole beast. Will the hub come apart or do I need a puller? The 1st drum was a breeze
mrhooie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightyart wrote:

here's a tip: needle nose vise grips work good for the springs.

thanks for that tip. I'll make sure I pick some up or borrow a set
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to remove the wheel cylinders with the hub in place. You could probably sneak the wheel cylinder out without even removing the shoes. A word of caution about needle nose pliers and springs. I watched a mechanic stick a pair of needle nose into his lower lip trying to install a brake spring. The needle nose slipped while he was pulling towards himself. I prefer to use a pair of side cutters or dykes. They will grab the spring well without applying too much pressure. Good luck.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: