Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I know this has been covered to death, but...
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: I know this has been covered to death, but... Reply with quote

I've read probably 15 threads about painting an engine case and I'd say half say it's okay, half say it's not a good idea. So there's definitely not a consensus.

That said, if there IS decreased heat dissipation caused by painting an engine case (not the cylinders, just the case), how serious are we talking here? A few degrees? Could this potential effect be mitigated by using a 1.5qt. oil sump and 8-pass oil cooler? I realize we're in the hypothetical realm here and no one can really say for sure either way, but I'm looking for a professional perspective.

I'll admit it - I want to paint it for looks to match my car. And yes, my car is a show car, but it does get driven around town too. Por-15 makes a pretty nice engine painting kit in a color pretty damn close to my car's color. Engine I am building is a 1914cc with a brand new AS41 case, tapped for full flow and lots of other goodies. I wasn't initally plannning on the upgraded oil cooler or sump but I can easily add that.

So what do you guys think?
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thin coat of High temp black BBQ grill paint on the cylinders and even the heads have been shown to reduce engine temps by as much as 20 degrees. I painted the block in both my 72 and 69 and they both run cool. The 72 has the stock cooler set up, my 69 has a remote cooler and oil sump.
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the temp difference would be very small, if the right paint.coating was used the case could actually shed more head than if it were bare.

Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The color of paint has a slight effect on emissivity (how a material radiates heat), however, the color of paint has no effect whatsoever on convective heat flux (which our air-cooled engine's depend on); worse, the paint itself could be poor at conducting heat, which if painted on the case or cylinder cooling fins could (will!) hinder the transfer of heat across to the convecting surface.

Unless the paint you plan to use is as good as, or better at conducting heat that the material you are painting (e.g. aluminum), then whatever you gain in emissivity would be largely canceled out by it's insulative value as a conductor. Don't paint your engine case, cylinders, or heads; if you paint your cylinders to prevent rust, make sure it is a thin (THIN!) coat.

I don't think electrickery works that way
werka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically adding paint makes the case slightly thicker (I know paint is thin). This is just another boundary layer that heat has to transfer thru before it touches air. If the case was made of copper which is a very good conductor of heat, would you want to paint that and expect better heat dissipation?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a trailer queen and all you are after is show trophies, then paint it. If this is street driven more then on and off the trailer, then do not paint.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If the case was made of copper which is a very good conductor of heat, would you want to paint that and expect better heat dissipation?

aluminum is an excellent conductor of heat.

if you decide to paint, then dont paint the fins on the bottom.

i would only paint to prevent corrosion. vw engines look real good as long as the tin and manifold are painted. i have seen lots of painted cases sitting right next to a rusty heat riser WTF?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dansvans wrote:
aluminum is an excellent conductor of heat.

if you decide to paint, then dont paint the fins on the bottom.

i would only paint to prevent corrosion. vw engines look real good as long as the tin and manifold are painted. i have seen lots of painted cases sitting right next to a rusty heat riser WTF?

I'm thinking this is the way to go. I'll just tape off about an inch up from the bottom of the engine. The tin will all be painted. Don't have to worry about the heat riser - dual kadrons. Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: