Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing Birth certificate
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chase850
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Thing Birth certificate Reply with quote

I just got the birth certificate for my acapulco thing from the museum today. boy was I shocked! The certificate says that it was built in february 1974, Ivy Green in color with a black top and interior (completely knocked down).

My car, however, is blue and white with running boards, striped seats, no evidence of any other paint color at any time (and it has a lot of scratches) and the sticker on the door jamb says it was built in June 1974.

Did I get taken when I bought this car or has anyone heard of the museum having inaccurate or incomplete records, or in the alternative, were these CKD (completely knocked down) kits sent to Mexico where VW Mexico then converted them to Acapulco editions. very puzzling indeed. Greg T.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible that the museum made a mistake, as "human" interface can cause this.

However, if it was built(?) partially in Germany and then sent to Mexico for final assembly, then perhaps this changed things.

I hope there are better experts on this subject though that can provide a more difinative answer to this.
suntour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sticker inside the door post tells me that mine way built in November of 73’. However information I have read about Thing production tells me that mine would be built like a 74’ with side muffs and fresh air heat. But my Thing had gas heat and side vents.

So do we have our Thing production information wrong or does the 11/73 on the sticker mean something other than production dates?
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The date on my car (5/74) jives approximately with the serial number on the door pillar and trunk tag, along with the number on the tunnel. By 1973, all of the metal-stamping was done in Mexico, so it should not be a CKD (unless yours is Indonesian?)
chase850
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on my birth certificate, it says the country of destination is Mexico. I'm at a complete loss about this. I've emailed the museum about it but don't really anticipate getting a response.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedro Sardis is an expert on this issue. He used to frequent the various Thing forums. He worked in the VW factory in Pueba, MX on the Thing line. He owns the last Safari that was produced there. If he were to chime in he could explain this.
BHB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Were CKD Things ever converted to Acapulco models? Reply with quote

I have owned two 1974 Things which the VW Museum Stiftung described as being built and delivered to Mexico as "completely knocked down". Both cars were described as cream white color with black interior. Options 442 and 803 were listed, too. Both were Acapulco versions when I bought them.

BHB
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suntour wrote:
So do we have our Thing production information wrong or does the 11/73 on the sticker mean something other than production dates?

Production date of 11/73 would have been a 1974 model year. I believe model years changed in August or September. Appears your's is normal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
howiesfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wannahave wrote:
suntour wrote:

Production date of 11/73 would have been a 1974 model year. I believe model years changed in August or September. Appears your's is normal

Mine has a production date of 11/73 with a 183 vin. It has all the 73 parts: gas heater, door mounted mirrors, fan shroud, exhaust, no ear muffs, '73 title.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

howiesfamily wrote:
Wannahave wrote:
suntour wrote:

Mine has a production date of 11/73 with a 183 vin. It has all the 73 parts: gas heater, door mounted mirrors, fan shroud, exhaust, no ear muffs, '73 title.

Blame the Mexicans
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
howiesfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody has to do the jobs that American's won't do. Rolling Eyes
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mexico's not in America? Since when?
Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thinghunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine says it was creme white also with a production date of 4/73 and a destination country of Mexico while it is yellow and the date on the sticker is 5/73 and is a US spec car. I know it has the original engine but when I emailed the museum they said it wasn't. I also asked them if they could double check the information on the birth certificate and they emailed me back they double checked it but what they gave me was right. They seemed nice enough but I'm not sure whether they actually went back and double checked it or not. I was wondering if anyone has recently gotten one for a Thing that actually seemed to have the right info on it.
Doc*181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thinghunter wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has recently gotten one for a Thing that actually seemed to have the right info on it.

Well... the museum stated that my 181 is a probably a VW Golf (Rabbit). Laughing
4118thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semper_Dad wrote:
howiesfamily wrote:
Wannahave wrote:
suntour wrote:

Blame the Mexicans

I realize this is an old post, but I too have a 183 vin, but a build date of 10/74. Also has all 73 parts. Is it possible that VIN’s were issued in Germany and assembly sticker in Mexico. Or was Mexico on a calendar year production schedule?
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Birth certificate Reply with quote

I have a 12/73 sticker on a 183 vin. with all the 73 features. It is a 73 by title. Do you think they just kept making the 73 model until they ran out of 73 parts?
4118thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Birth certificate Reply with quote

Well, one way to find out...does anyone have a ‘74 with a late ‘73 build sticker?
Gene Kisner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Birth certificate Reply with quote

My experience with the "Museum" is they suffer from extreme
IGNORANCE and APATHY.
They DON'T KNOW and THEY DON'T CARE !
It is just blind luck getting any information about THINGs that comes close to being accurate.
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Birth certificate Reply with quote

I've been having a few conversations with people regarding the birth certificates for Things.

From my personal experience and what I have heard from others: US Things are listed as 'complete knock down' for the Mexican market, the build date doesn't match the door jam sticker, and the engine doesn't match their records. I haven't heard of color discrepancies before.

It is likely that the Thing was actually a knock down vehicle in one fashion or another. I'll give two justifications for this: 1) The press/stamping tooling for cars is very expensive and it is unlikely that VW would have duplicated the tooling for a lower production volume vehicle like the 181. The presses were originally in the Wolfsburg factory and then they supposedly moved to Puebla, Mexico in 1975/1976. What is not known is how much assembly happened in Germany before being shipped to Mexico. 2) The Chicken Tax. This is speculation on my part, but I would be willing to bet that the Thing was assembled in Mexico for sale in the US to avoid the 25% 'Chicken Tax' that is levied against German trucks and vans since 1963 (and still is). I imagine knock-down assembly in Mexico would have avoided that tax. The reason the Thing wasn't sold in the US in 1975 was it was reclassified as a passenger car instead of a light truck, which added more strict safety requirements (note that jeeps are considered light trucks).

Regarding the build dates that don't follow VW's normal August start date for model years (ie a 1973 model built in December of 1973). If the Thing was build as knock-down, then there probably was a production lag (Germany creates a kit, kit shipped from Germany to Mexico, kit assembled in Mexico into a vehicle, vehicle shipped to the US, goes through import process, etc...). It wouldn't surprise me if 1973's were still making their way through the production process when VW otherwise would have started calling them 1974's. Just speculation on my part, though.
dagimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Birth certificate Reply with quote

My birth certificate was also listed as CKD... or whatever and yellow. The car is orange and was always like that. Total waste of money. Don't expect anything useful from the "Museum".

1973 Orange VW Thing, "Otto".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: