Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

69 bullets <Wiring> & Blinkers
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: 69 bullets <Wiring> & Blinkers Reply with quote

Does anyone have a photo of the wiring on the bullets for a 69 squareback. The wiring diagram does not show the right blinkers and I have blown about 8 fuses trying to get my blinkers and parking lights wired.

Also any info on using a 3 prong flasher, where should I connect the indicator lights for the dash?

Last edited by vdub on Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wiring diagram here on thesamba seems to be right on the front TS. just ignor the other bulb shown. Do not connect any hot wire to a "31" terminal. 31 is always ground.
As for the indicator lights. on a 4 wire flasher, they go to the KBL terminal.
On a 73 with the 3 wire flasher, it goes to the 49a terminal.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
The wiring diagram here on thesamba seems to be right on the front TS. just ignor the other bulb shown. Do not connect any hot wire to a "31" terminal. 31 is always ground.
As for the indicator lights. on a 4 wire flasher, they go to the KBL terminal.
On a 73 with the 3 wire flasher, it goes to the 49a terminal.

I might have a dead short then because i wired them according to the diagram here and I keep popping fuses.

On the mater of the flasher I just left the indicators out, I am thinking about making them blink according to witch blinker is flashing instead of both of them blinking. the flasher I am using is am EP35 it has a 40 (+) a 40a and a 31.

I take it the 40a is the same as the 49a on maybe I am just reading the flasher wrong because the silk screen is kind of messed up right there. I did just notice I had hot connected to the 40a so I switched it and the flasher beeped for a second and my 9th fuse blew, lol.
vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wired it back to white and indicator on 49a ground on 31 and blue on 40 (+) and still no blinkers.

I did get the parking lights to light.

Any ideas?
vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed that there was no continuity between the 3rd to last fuse (Constant Hot) for the flasher so I pulled the fuse box out and noticed that the constant hot was hooked up to the last accessory fuse and I had taken the fuse out because I needed one. Well now there is power to the flashers red, white, and black wire but still no blinkers.

Grrrrrrrrr. I hate blinkers. lol

Any ideas. I did notice that the blue wire off the flasher never gets hot no mater what, could I have a bad flasher switch and if so could that stop the blinkers from working?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're aware that both dash lights blink ALL the time, even though only left/right is signaling?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
You're aware that both dash lights blink ALL the time, even though only left/right is signaling?

Yes I understand that, Right now I have the indicator lights disconnected. After I get the blinkers working I am going to rewire the indicators to blink independently.
vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have narrowed it down to the blue wire that connects the positive spots on the flasher and flasher switch. It never gets hot is it supposed to?
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything goes through the ememrgency switch. Both powers and all. Sometimes the E switch gets dirty, and nothing works. Spray the E switch with cleaner, and away it will go.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found that when someone changed the column they messed up a few of the wires. The gray that goes to the fuse box is tied together with the black, white, and green one that goes to 49a and I have no idea where they go from there because there not on the fuse box or 49a. I think this might be my problem but still even if thats it I would think that the e flasher would work.

What do you think?
vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spray the Eswitch with QD cleaner I will let it dry and hook the battery back up and try it.
vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still nothing after cleaning the switch, I am at a loss.

I am going to trace those wires from the column and hook them up right.
vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally my blinkers work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntIbNOCDMR8

I hooked up the 49a and 49 prongs backwards.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: