Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stelth camping in Vancouver B.C.?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Stelth camping in Vancouver B.C.? Reply with quote

I'm making this a seperate thread from my other one "coming to British Columbia" just for ease of getting an answer. Is there anywhere my fellow B.C. Samba folk can recommend to stay in the van near or in Vancouver? Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
felixthevolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly what I was wondering! I'm heading to the SAA (society for american archaeology) conference in Vancouver next March. I'll be driving out from Virginia and need to make the trip as low-cost as possible (will probably be a travel grant from the college).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
24inchstance
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are two rv parks close to the city if you wanna go that route...
Camping in the city stealth style is a little sketchy. This where a local needs to jump in and steer you the right direction if youre going stealth. Ive seen numerous windows get busted out. Seen people get straight up mugged.I had a buddy get his window busted out while he was asleep in his truck. Had to chase off a crack head.

I was a senior tour leader for trekamerica adventure tours for years and spent a lot of time up there. Fun ass job if you like babes and vans.

The closest is Capilano RV park on the north side of the lions gate bridge. Full city camping but has a pool and nice facilities.

The other is called Dogwood RV park. More trees. a little further from town...
Ive stayed at both. I always preffered Capilano for its location, specially if you plan to head north the following day.
81 Centurion
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no camping in the city. The cops will boot you out of every parking lot at the beaches or parks. In some of the few residential neighborhoods that don't have parking permits you may be able to stay overnight.
Normally I would recommend one of these rec centers:
http://www.northvanrec.com/
But with the strike on they are closed. Some friends of mine lived out of their Dodge van in one of the parking lots for nearly a year and just paid for the washroom facilities.
Bad luck with the strike! Wish I had a back yard to offer you...

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I'll check out Capilano since I will be heading North
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got a PM with directions to some good stealthing neighborhoods in Vancouver and Seattle. Wink
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Not ideal but its cheap Reply with quote

Not sure about in Canada, but Walmart's here in the U.S. let RV's "camp out" in their parking lots for free. I know its far from ideal, but its cheap and safe when in a pinch for a place to park it for a night or three.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly sure there aren't any Walmarts in Vancouver actually, they won't let them build in the city, but they are in neighbouring cities: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1111767382873_26

I was going to suggest the Capilano place too, it has a great location.

Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dragonfire709
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kevin

Hope you have a good trip. Be sure to check out the fireworks Wink
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Roy, hope your doing well. I'm hitting the road tomorrow!
dragonfire709
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin

We're good, thanks. Well we are now its stopped raining! I hope you have a good trip and fingers crossed Wes will behave. Smile
pjackman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've camped overnight at Wal-Mart in Merritt and Kamloops. Kamloops was because the provincial campground we were aiming for locked the gate at 10:00 PM. Merritt was because we couldn't find much else around there worth the price of admission.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: