Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'73 Beetle - how to tighten oil tube bolt? (picture inside)
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsteelio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: '73 Beetle - how to tighten oil tube bolt? (picture inside) Reply with quote

Sorry for opening a new post, but I though a picture would help since I'm not sure of the proper names of what I'm trying to describe.

I'm trying to tighten the bolt that holds what I believe is called the oil tube. Right now there is not enough thread exposed from this bolt to reassemble my oil screen, gaskets, and oil plate. I have tried several tools to get to this bolt with no luck. Please help me! Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yesterday I was able to tighten this bolt by tighten a nut on it then loosening the nut which started turning the bolt instead of loosen the nut giving me more thread to work with. But as I reassembled everything and tried to tighten the nut to this bolt the bolt began turning (loosening) instead of the nut tightening giving me less thread again. I'm hoping if I can tighten the bolt with a tool that I can avoid it loosening when I try to tighten a nut on it. Hope this makes sense. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to get up inside with a thin 8mm wrench or needle nosed vice grips. I've done it myself. Once you get it tight you are going to need to chase the threads on it as I would assume there is a bunged up spot on the threads that is causing this. Replace all the oil sumps acorn nuts with new ones while you are at it.
shano63 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that bolt tighten's anything. I think they are just studs screwed into the case for the oil screen and gasket. If you can back it out all the way and clean it up along with the nut that goes on it, Then you can thread them back in at the same time. That's what I would try. How many gaskets are you using for the screen??
78 F250 4x4 4spd

Chris

Take it as it comes-- Morrison
ScottK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shano63 wrote:
I don't think that bolt tighten's anything.

I believe he is talking about the stud with a nut on the inside of the case that secures the oil pickup tube.
jsteelio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shano63 wrote:
I don't think that bolt tighten's anything. I think they are just studs screwed into the case for the oil screen and gasket. If you can back it out all the way and clean it up along with the nut that goes on it, Then you can thread them back in at the same time. That's what I would try. How many gaskets are you using for the screen??

I'm using two gaskets. One on each side of the screen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
jsteelio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottK wrote:
shano63 wrote:
I don't think that bolt tighten's anything.

I believe he is talking about the stud with a nut on the inside of the case that secures the oil pickup tube.

Yes..that is what I'm talking about. So this one stud is the same as the other 5? It just has a bolt attached to it inside the case?
jsteelio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDarby wrote:
You need to get up inside with a thin 8mm wrench or needle nosed vice grips. I've done it myself. Once you get it tight you are going to need to chase the threads on it as I would assume there is a bunged up spot on the threads that is causing this. Replace all the oil sumps acorn nuts with new ones while you are at it.

Will these work?
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=91324-281-6LN-3&lpage=none

Also, how do I chase the threads?
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the vice grips will work. Remember you are going into the engine for the head of the bolt fot tightening NOT the threads.
You'll have to look up the thread size & pitch and get the proper sized die to clean up the threads.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, there are bent-nose needlenose Vise Grips available, we have three different sizes at work, and I have two sizes at home. Unfortunately, I believe the large and the small were discontinued.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: