Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VWs at the Rock?
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rezidu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:14 am    Post subject: VWs at the Rock? Reply with quote

sunday august 5th at Rockingham Dragway, North Carolina. anyone going? i havent heard it mentioned at all...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
birdmanp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

going to sleep now for the 3 hour ride in the morning

Millwright/Rigging comes natural to me. I guess I am just used to fitting big things in small places.
Clarkson Industrial Contractors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LOWRAG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The show sucked I will never go to another VW coalition show again. The judging in the car show and awards were the biggest load of crap I have ever been around.There were maybe 30 show cars and it took them till 3:45 to tally up who won on a 105 degree day ever heard of a calculator. One of the categories to be judged in was best graphics and best wheels. The whole day was the biggest waste of time. The drag racing even sucked there was about 15 cars and it took the track officials all day to get it done they had no idea what they were doing. I feel sorry good promoters [s&s] who use the same location for their event because the VW Coalition have ruined that place for everybody. I hate to say that North vs south shootout is going to have to do some damage control so that people will know that they are not affliated or have any part of this last show at the rock.

Last edited by LOWRAG on Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:26 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBR4308
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: vw's at the rock Reply with quote

Guys and Gals. I will agree with you on the event, the track owner was not on hand for the event and the track only handles the race part, as for the show that is VW Coalition but I'm not going into that. The track is not to blame here and I should hope everyone can see through this, and I have a questions for all the show people-- your thoughts on The Rocks facilities and location? Does the date need to change? Maybe Saturday? I have had discussions with the owner for many years and he loves the VW's however he is a bussinessman and yes has lost money on these events but continues to have them. Not speaking for Kevin Shull and Mel Shealy (S&S) but they have had no trouble with the track owner. Something has to change yes- send me some suggestions and maybe some people to contact whom might be interested in getting involved with the event orginazation.

Steve Bowers
[email protected]
980-521-4320
DaveB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only drove 30 miles to it and will not be back next year. I will come to Kevin's shows there, if they don't get rained out.

To say the judging sucked is an under statement. We kept hearing in 10 minutes, 2 plus hours later they gave them out. I don't think they were sure who won even then. Most unorganized event I have EVER been to. Gte this show on some grass lot with trees and forget the drag raing, it's a non points event any way. You'd have a much better turn out from the area and better show. Most folks don't care about the racing, especially when they can back there next month and see VW's run. let's have one show here without racing and lower entry fees.
HoleShot Photography
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it was HOT. As for the track and their operations staff most of the issues they encountered were not your NORM. The P.A. System quit working and they had problems with the timing system. The track crew at the ROCK is one of the best in the nation and i'm sure even if Steve Earwood (owner) was there those issues would still have risen. Sometimes nature just takes it course.

As for the show car awards and stuff i agree the awards were given extremely late and it was hot as HELL out there. Thats august in NC for ya.

See you in Piedmont, Bug Out, then back to Rock for North vs South.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Regina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveB wrote:
Gte this show on some grass lot with trees .....

This has been suggested at this venue for several years. We gave up attending this show 6 years ago. Black top in August is a bad combination.

Some locals continue to go, swearing to never return, and the feedback seems to get worse every year.

I hope the management can make major changes, it needs to improve.

It can be a great venue, if they can be open to suggestions. When we were working with them, they were not willing to move the show cars onto the grass. Good luck
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rock has always sucked, and it is the track's fault, or at least Steve Earwood's. He had one of the best promoters in the southeast (Kathy Jacobs) at hand to run the Rock VW shows. Our local Club assisted Kathy for a few years and then pulled out as it was obvious that the track was unwilling to take the advice of seasoned VW enthusiasts and organizers on what would make it a good show.
Don't have the show on the Asphalt, Lower the entry fee until the show was bigger, allow camping the night before on the grounds. Anyone remember the Porsche show Debacle? As in Steve owned a 356 so he insisted that it be a VW/Porsche show, only he wouldn't believe that most Porsche owners don't want anything to do with VWs let alone share a show with them.
Rockingham had potential but now is over shadowed by better shows at Tracks with more willing owners. It is such a shame that North V South had to move to Rockingham, It was such a great show when it was at Darlington.

Motorwagen LLC
Concord NC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DaveB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryan, funny you mentioned N vs S. We, locals, were discussing that very issue. even with the 2 hour drive I would rather see the N vs S show back in Darlington. Of course for Bus shows you can't beat CTS Wink
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveB wrote:
Bryan, funny you mentioned N vs S. We, locals, were discussing that very issue. even with the 2 hour drive I would rather see the N vs S show back in Darlington. Of course for Bus shows you can't beat CTS Wink

Well thank you sir. we aim to please.

Motorwagen LLC
Concord NC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: