Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tiico? Vanaru? GEX Rebuild? Which one is best for us?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
weatherbill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think I'm gonna go with the EJ22 or the EJ25.

I think a Subaru engine will out last a ford zetec engine.

I wonder if the 2.5 guzzles much more gas than the 2.2?
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weatherbill wrote:
Well I think I'm gonna go with the EJ22 or the EJ25.

I think a Subaru engine will out last a ford zetec engine.

I wonder if the 2.5 guzzles much more gas than the 2.2?

Contact John at http://www.vanaru.com/index.htm. He's pretty helpful and they deal mostly with EJ25s and a few EJ22s. He can also help clarify the EJ22E designation.

Let us know what you end up doing......
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Boston Bob in my '86Doka- ('04 install) and a Tilco in the '91 Vanagon Carat/Wlfs. ('06 install) Very different rides, we went with the Tilco because we could afford a bigger engine, wanted to stay VW & I know & trust Jon Gagnon @ Foreign Auto inc. in Harpswell Maine, they did a nice clean pro install.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
mountainmanak1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Bostig Zetec Reply with quote

I installed a Zetec with the Bostig kit in my 85 Westy. I love it. I drove it from virginia to Wisconsin the day I completed the install. My test drive was completed at the first rest stop 200 miles down the road Laughing . The kit was easy to understand and put together. Any difficulties I had were self induced. My Vanagon has plenty of power now. I love people when they pull up next to me at a stop light and give me the "What is that old ugly thing" look. Then when it turns green I beat them off the line and laugh my behind off. My 2.1 barely made it through the mountains in Virginia.It Crested the pass at 23 MPH with the red light flashing like a strobe at me. My foot was to the floor for 5 minutes. How it didn't pop the engine I have no idea. My Bostig made it through the pass at 48 MPH and my foot wasn't to the floor. I had plenty of power to pass Semi's on my way up. I was in dis-belief. I am extremely pleased with my desicion to go with the Bostig kit. No more leaking oil in my driveway or it leaking on my exhaust like it used to. My Westy is not a daily driver, but I do get it out once a week to show it off and take my family for a cruise. Stress free driving makes my Vanagon enjoyable. I highly recommend the Bostig kit to anyone thinking about doing a conversion. If you go this route get the programmable ECU and code uploader/scanner. much easier than my choice to use my laptop.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: