Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

14" BFG All Terrain Questions
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run 50 psi all around. I've had these tires for five years and couldn't be happier.
slowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I confirmed the sad news today. Luckily mine are fairly new. What replacement options do we have? Most of the recommended tires on vanagon.com are discontinued as well or not really AT tires. I run my PSI at 50, which is the same sidewall recommendation.

Email response from BFG:

Thank you for your email. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you.

We apologize that the 27X8.50R14 All Terrain T/A KO has been discontinued
and is no longer available. We no longer produce a tire in this size.

Thank you for considering BFGoodrich tires.

If your questions have not been answered to your satisfaction, please call
me at 1-877-788-8899 (toll-free) between 8:00AM and 5:00PM Eastern Time
Monday through Friday.

Mike

BFGoodrich Tires
Consumer Relations Department
Van-go108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew a few years ago the 14" wheels are on the way out. That's why I planned on a wheel change in the first place. My remaining tread is going to be played out on the THING.(until I swap those 14's out to 15's)

The 15" wheel days are numbered too.... ?Confused

1973 Thing
1957 Continental Mark II Click to view image
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Love my BFG's Reply with quote

I have been running BFG's for years on my '86 Wofsburg Weekender. I love the high ground clearance and the tough sidewalls for visiting So. Utah. I inflate them to 35-38 lbs front, and 40-43 lbs rear depending on the load. I once got caught in a rainstorm way down a dirt road in So. Utah and those tires were the only things that got me out on that wet clay road. I haven't noticed the speedometer being off, it is pretty close to what my GPS says.

My only concern is will I be able to find one if I have a problem? I forgot the correct pressure and made the mistake of running them under inflated on one trip (30 psi) to Seattle and one tire developed a leak in the sidewall (they had lost 5 lbs pressure due to the change in altitude). I was not able to find one, but when I drove down to Portland on my spare, I was able to get one. I'm thinking about getting some 15" rims just so I'll be able to get tires in the future.
iceracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local tire place said he coulod sell me General Grabber AT's Anyone had any experience with these??? I will have to stop in and get load info etc Didn't have time today.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rs4-380
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petervw wrote:
rs4-380 wrote:
i run that size on stock steel wheels. some places may bitch about them being to narrow but they work just fine.
...just a little "bitching" here..goodyears web site do not include 5.5" in their fitment chart...although many people have used these tires on the 14" steelie with great Success...it would be good to know Why and under what Circumstances the 5.5" would not be recommended...other places just want to avoid any possible liability/legal actions in case something does go wrong

It's exactly what you say, a liability/legal thing for goodyear. It doesn't say that they won't fit, it says it's not recommended. People make these kind of calculated decisions all the time. I'm sure VW wouldn't "recommend" upgrading your brakes with calipers from another car. Along the same lines many people "stretch" tires (narrower tire on wider wheel) beyond the recommended size, and while there are compromises in ride, the vast majority of people never have a problem doing it.
rs4-380
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, if your tire place won't mount them because it's not recommended just take them to another tire place, someone will do it.
slowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a list of available AT tires in the 14" range. Please add if I missed any. I will need this list in a few years....

General Grabber AT2

http://www.generaltire.com/generator/www/us/en/gen...er_en.html

Cooper Discoverer LT

http://www.coopertire.com/html/products/tires_lighttruck.aspx?page=discoverer_lt

Big O Pathmax RT

http://www.bigo.com/item.asp?id=269
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> Do you have them installed?

yes, 86 Syncro, stock alloy rims, not too bad road noise, great driveability. Fantastic traction on dry dirt and rocks, fine on dry or wet road, OK for snow, but Nokkian are better

btw, I have a set of 14" steel rims with 4 Blizzaks mounted.. good for a 2wd van.. for sale for $250 located in NM

When my Speedo indicates 70, my GPS says my actual speed is 73

I have not been able to track gas mileage before and after the BFG's

I am very happy w my bfg's on a syncro

on my 2wd van Im very happy with Michellin Agilis

> if.. the stock 14'' alloys are the same width as stock 14'' steelies?

alloy 6" wide, steel 5.5" wide, on the Syncro Yahoo group there is aguy selling 6 alloys.. cheap..

I was told to inflate to 38 front, 44 rear, for a Syncro.. I actually run 40f-45r

> I run my PSI at 50, which is the same sidewall recommendation.

that pressure is for max load over 1500lbs per tire.. if your van is not loaded up to 6000 lbs, and is instead running at about 4000 pounds, you could drop the pressure by 2/3.. that is 33 lbs.. if you figure you are going to weigh 5000 lbs.. then the pressure would be 42 lbs.. then add 5 pounds more to the rear..

I did run them at 50 all around for a short time.. the 40-45 pressure is more pleasant on the road and I did not get any rollover or unusual wear past the edges..

J
Chuck77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have taken all of everyone's advice and have really been crunching numbers and looking at options. Here in Longview, Washington I do have a lot of options open in the 27x8.50R 14 market. ( Discontinued or otherwise)

Les Schwab
BFG AT's for around $500 installed

Longview Tire (an independent who carries a lot of weight with the crowd Les Schwab has disenfranchised)
Kelly AT's for around $404
General Grabbers for $550

Superior Tire
No such luck

T&T Tire (hit the proverbial jackpot!)
John who owns the place aqcuired the business last year and was very interested in what I would be putting these on. After further conversation I find out he was the manager of the Herzog-Meier VW (PDX) dealerships tire and wheel department for the past 15 years. He says that he deals with Cooper but can get anything I need in any size I need. He also said he has a small stockpile of MB wheels he keeps for VW fans, just in case.

I believe I am going to go Cooper for a few reasons.
1. Made in America
2. Very comparable in treadwear and longevity to the BFG
3. Has tons in stock

I would like to put this out there for what it's worth. If anybody needs tires and would like me to aqcuire them to send to your location due to lack of availability in your area, please PM me. I would be more than happy to pick up your tires after you pay for them over the phone and help you get them shipped to your location. Not looking for a kick back or any form of payment, just a good guy looking to help out a community that has helped me.

With that being said, does anyone have any 14 inch alloys laying around that they might be able to sell me? I am looking to upgrade from the steelies.

Thanks,
Josh
jashv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a set of the BFGoodrich tires from TireRack, why are they getting rid of 14's?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rs4-380
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

general upsizing of wheels in the states. In the land of 20's trucks just don't have 14" wheels anymore.
jashv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if all the cars become electric will they stop making gas? Can you buy 13's anymore? That's just crazy.
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jashv wrote:
So if all the cars become electric will they stop making gas? Can you buy 13's anymore? That's just crazy.

No, it's not crazy to a business. It's the rule of supply and demand. If there is no demand for these tires, then it makes no sense to a manufacture them.

Simple business.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well looks like Tire Rack is now out of the BFG All Terrain KOs. JashV - You must have gotten the last set! I will call Tire Rack tomorrow to make sure, but their website just bounced back my attempt to purschase them online.

Anyone have any other ideas who might still have some in stock? I just got a beater Syncro today and wanted to run the BFGs on Carat style alloys.

David
Chuck77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les Schwab has some, look them up locally Dclym. I already checked and there will be a delivery fee. If no luck, PM me, I have a resource here in Longview, Wa that has always come through...
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

call tire rack directly. i talked to a guy that said tey still should have another order coming in this fall for them. i too was bounced out of the online purchasing although over the phone they still had them.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooper has a 27x8.5 that looks pretty nice. Doesn't have the 3 ply sidewall like the BFGs though!

I have a set of the BFG 27x8.5s on my Syncro w/ stock alloys. They wear out quick and need frequent rotations, but just about any tire on a syncro does with the front suspension geometry. They have killer traction in dry slick desert terrain like we have in Idaho.

I want a taller, more aggressive tire without having to switch to 15" wheels. Super Swamper has a tall/narrow 225/85R14. It would be pushing it gearing wise though, and regearing a syncro is $$. Check these:
http://www.intercotire.com/site29.php
http://www.4wheelparts.com/PDT65130.aspx
mrbisset
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does 27" wheels work with the gearing of the stock 2.1L engine? I like lower highway RPM if it imploves gas mileage, but don't want to get stuck in big climbs with the camper's weight.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: