Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VA VW owners - change date on title?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fred69vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: VA VW owners - change date on title? Reply with quote

I just bought a convertible a month ago. The title says 1981, the VIN crosses to 1969. The PO stated that they bought it from an owner in CA about 5 years ago and tried without luck to correct the year on the title.

Has anyone had to correct this problem? If I can get it changed to 69, I can put antique tags, or even (if I can find some) 1969 tags on it.
bigyellowdogs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so it's a 1969? not sure about how easy/hard it would be to change the title. you should just call the dmv and ask them that.

as far as antique tags go, as long as it's at least 25 years old you can get those, so even if it's titled 1981 you can still get antique tags. those are the either yellow or black tags that they issue you at the DMV.

but, to be able to have tags that have the year the car was made on them you would probably have to have it titled with the correct year. those are the tags that you take in yourself. you can find them a lot of times on ebay. keep in mind, virginia antique tag laws changed this year to a one time fee of $50 and there are driver restrictions on them such as you can't use it as a daily driver and you can only use it for car shows, events or for recreational pleasure driving not to exceed 250 miles from your home. the cool thing about them though even with those restrictions is you don't have to have it inspected yearly.

we have them on our bus because that's how we use it anyway, but not on our bug.
79vert_in_WV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont know about your insurance, but Nationwise was going to raise my rates if i classified it as an antique, wasnt by much a few bucks per month, but might be something to be aware of.
SandSquid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

79vert_in_WV wrote:
dont know about your insurance, but Nationwise was going to raise my rates if i classified it as an antique, wasnt by much a few bucks per month, but might be something to be aware of.

My insurance wend down (and by a _whole_lot_) when I had mine registerd as an antique, due to the extrememly limiting use restrictions for antique automobliles in my state. They did ask if I wanted to have it appraised for "replacement / repair purposes" but I'm sure that would have raised the rates through the roof. I told them: "Nah, it's just old, not valuable."
1974 Super Beetle, ("Put-Putt")
1971 Super Beetle Convertable (a bare shell.)
1987 Volvo 745Ti 835k Mi. "Grouchy"
1988 Volvo 764Ti 380k Mi. "Speedy"
1988 Volvo 765Ti 160k Mi. "Road Trip!!!"
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigyellowdogs wrote:
the cool thing about them though even with those restrictions is you don't have to have it inspected yearly.

be prepared for change. due to the abuse of this, with folks using old cars and trucks(mainly) as work vehicles to sidestep the state inspection, there are wheels in motion to require the yearly safety inspection even to antique registered vehicles.

GEX has. Just sayin
bigyellowdogs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugninva wrote:
bigyellowdogs wrote:
the cool thing about them though even with those restrictions is you don't have to have it inspected yearly.

be prepared for change. due to the abuse of this, with folks using old cars and trucks(mainly) as work vehicles to sidestep the state inspection, there are wheels in motion to require the yearly safety inspection even to antique registered vehicles.

i thought that was taken care of with the new rules. to combat that problem as of july 1st 2007 they made it so you have to have all safety features appropriate to the model year of your vehicle operative. if not then the officer issuing the ticket has the authority to pull your tags then and there. if you are found to be in violation you could lose your right to register that vehicle for 5 years. harsh for sure. but i thought that was the way they came up with to penalize people who have been taking advantage of the antique tags by using old beaters as dangerous work trucks. also, and this pertains to the bus people, you are not allowed to carry any tools or work-related cargo in a truck or van (bus to them) with antique tags.
i could be wrong though. these rules are new and the whole due process thing is kind of missing. something will probably change even with this system.
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigyellowdogs wrote:
bugninva wrote:
bigyellowdogs wrote:

i thought that was taken care of with the new rules. to combat that problem as of july 1st 2007 they made it so you have to have all safety features appropriate to the model year of your vehicle operative. if not then the officer issuing the ticket has the authority to pull your tags then and there. if you are found to be in violation you could lose your right to register that vehicle for 5 years. harsh for sure. but i thought that was the way they came up with to penalize people who have been taking advantage of the antique tags by using old beaters as dangerous work trucks. also, and this pertains to the bus people, you are not allowed to carry any tools or work-related cargo in a truck or van (bus to them) with antique tags.
i could be wrong though. these rules are new and the whole due process thing is kind of missing. something will probably change even with this system.

they say they are gonna make us get inspected, but the sticker will not have to be visible on the windscreen as with daily drivers....i'm guessing the state still wants their couple bucks from inspections...really the only new thing in what you wrote above is being able to lose your registration for 5 years.... safety violations have always be writeable offenses even on antique vehicles here in va.

GEX has. Just sayin
bigyellowdogs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in general, i have no problem with tougher rules on antique vehicles because there are some real abusers of the law out there and safety should always be the first concern.
the suckiest thing about it is that the initial write up is of course at the discretion of the officer at the scene and i've already heard of some people who have gotten nailed for silly things the officer didn't understand only to have the tickets thrown out in court. not a big deal in the end, but you still have to go to court and pay court fees even if you win and it's just an unfortunate hassel for all around. and it's extra scary if you could lose your registration for 5 years.

where is your bug in va buginva?
do you have antique tags?
i'm torn about getting them on the bug. got them on the bus but that's because the bus doesn't have defrosters and wouldn't pass an inspection. though we'll probably get a dashboard defroster so we can get real tags on it. don't know yet.
jwcurry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in NC, and my 1971 is exempt from yearly inspections. I talked to DMV enforcement (I work at a car dealership, so I see them often) and asked about the what, why, etc about old cars on the road and that mine will be a daily driver. No big deal evidently. I can be issued a fix-it ticket for a lamp out, but no yearly inspection....unless I want to...it is voluntary.
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im in the sw part of the state, near Roanoke...i have antique plates on my bug, but "normal" plates on my ghia...i had YOM tags on my ghia but wanted to drive it to Florida last year, so i had to change my registration.

GEX has. Just sayin
bigyellowdogs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool. we're in lynchburg. not too far away from you down there.
it's been hot as hell lately, huh?

good for you that you've got a ghia that will make it to florida. our goal is to get the bus going well enough to get to some further away campouts.

it's good to know some VA people on here. most of the people seem to be from out on the west coast, especially on the bus forums.

nice to meet you. Very Happy
Mudpump
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fear road salt has commited genocide on the east coast VW community.

The refugees are making a last stand west of the Great Divide

Red Bug Red Bus :2gunfire: :snipersmile:

come join us....and bring your women Laughing

bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigyellowdogs wrote:

good for you that you've got a ghia that will make it to florida. our goal is to get the bus going well enough to get to some further away campouts.

it's good to know some VA people on here. most of the people seem to be from out on the west coast, especially on the bus forums.

yes, we are neighbors!! when i bought my ghia(also "local" from Radford) it was solid but neglected.... I bought it and used to joke that it would get me anywhere i wanted to go, but would never get me home without roadside repairs.... i joked, but it was true....i did some major maintenance on the car and it is very reliable now.... i took it to Florida(Daytona) and it never worried me. cruised the highway well and made me proud.... there are a few vw's around here...there is a local club. in roanoke (Roanoke Valley Volkswagen club) with a small following. (their site is RVVWC.com

GEX has. Just sayin
bigyellowdogs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugninva wrote:
bigyellowdogs wrote:

yes, we are neighbors!! when i bought my ghia(also "local" from Radford) it was solid but neglected.... I bought it and used to joke that it would get me anywhere i wanted to go, but would never get me home without roadside repairs.... i joked, but it was true....i did some major maintenance on the car and it is very reliable now.... i took it to Florida(Daytona) and it never worried me. cruised the highway well and made me proud.... there are a few vw's around here...there is a local club. in roanoke (Roanoke Valley Volkswagen club) with a small following. (their site is RVVWC.com

yeah, i've always wondered how that roanoke club is. the bug would make it to roanoke no problem but we always seem to be too busy to get up there when they're doing their cruise.
we're trying to start a club here in lynchburg, there's a handful of us around here. with the bus it's pretty fun because we hang with the full moon bus club (fullmoonbusclub.com). lot's of VWs that camp up and down the coast as well as just VW lovers.
if you ever get the hankering to get a bus check those guys out. they're a pretty fun crowd.
see you around!
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

State inspections are a waste of time. Its a way for the politicians and bureaucrats to pretend they are doing something about "automotive safety" and a make work program for mechanics. States that have no state inspection have no higher accident rates than states that do.

Requring inspections on cars in VA with antique plates defeats the purpose of the plates. Most inspectors don't keep track as to what was required for a certain year car. It will just create a lot of hassles for the owners of older vehicles
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:
" and a make work program for mechanics.

LOL...you are delusional.... Mechanics hate doing inspections because every inspection they do, they LOSE money. Inspections are only done as a courtesy to customers. if you aren't working on those customers' cars then doing their inspections is fruitless...

GEX has. Just sayin
Scott H
Samba Luddite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been driving and having cars inspected since 1982 and have never had a single mechanic find or even suggest a repair that needed to be done. Only two cars ever failed an inspection and both were simple repairs that weren't done at that particular place.

That being said, it's my opinion that minumum safety inspections should be done on any vehicle that is used on any public highways. My '72 is now exempt from all inspections in North Carolina but it should not be, IMO.
perrib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: wrong year on title Reply with quote

Your vehicle need an inspection at the DMV to correct the title problem, another problem is they may treat it as a stolen car if all three vins on the car does not match the title, If the vins match; statements of errors will be needed from all owners that had titles with the wrong info. It will take some time dealing with two state DMVs.

As for saftey inspections.

Safety inspections are designed to keep cars and occupants safe. I remember growing up in New England and floor of cars with people still in the seats falling to the ground while driving down the highway. States have no idea of who takes care of their car and who does not. They are designed to catch the drivers with bald tires, bad brakes, bad ball joints inoperative brake lights, etc. I do not want them driving in front of me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jwcurry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott H wrote:

That being said, it's my opinion that minumum safety inspections should be done on any vehicle that is used on any public highways. My '72 is now exempt from all inspections in North Carolina but it should not be, IMO.

You can still have yours inspected....as DMV told me...it is elective.

But...let's face facts. Even when DMV undercover is in the building (they're easy to spot), the inspections are a joke. Basically, you have to make sure the lights operate, the wipers wipe and the brakes stop the vehicle. Doesn't even matter if the brakes are almost shot, they only have to stop the vehicle. Now, you are supposed to lift the front off the ground and check the front end, but no one wants to go through that just on speculation that you may sell something...and may not, since most people will try to get a second opinion. The next shop will most likely pass it without checking, provided you don't say anything to them about the other shop.
Scott H
Samba Luddite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwcurry wrote:
Scott H wrote:

You can still have yours inspected....as DMV told me...it is elective.

But...let's face facts. Even when DMV undercover is in the building (they're easy to spot), the inspections are a joke. Basically, you have to make sure the lights operate, the wipers wipe and the brakes stop the vehicle. Doesn't even matter if the brakes are almost shot, they only have to stop the vehicle. Now, you are supposed to lift the front off the ground and check the front end, but no one wants to go through that just on speculation that you may sell something...and may not, since most people will try to get a second opinion. The next shop will most likely pass it without checking, provided you don't say anything to them about the other shop.

Yep, all good points. I didn't mean my particular car should be inspected but that all cars should be inspected. I know my car is safe but the next guy's may not be. True, there are bad shops out there that might not catch a problem or simply look the other way but there are good ones too that might find something to get a dangerous car off the road. I've been in several shops over the years that do check the front end. The current place I take my other cars to puts them on a lift and does a pretty thorough inspection.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: