Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

smoke and oil, help....help...
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joshuas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: smoke and oil, help....help... Reply with quote

o.k. guys hear i am again, i just got to work and the motor did fine the about half way here... mid way i went up a hill and lost most of my power and people started flying by me... no sputters or pops, just total loss of power, i assume i was making just under fifty... i get to the last red light and the idle goes to crap, hardly stops and it won't stay running, i pull out to and there is smoke everywhere, i get out and there's oil everywhere... it doesn't seem to be coming from anywhere... my breather tube i noticed is plugged into my fan shroud... i lowered the advance on the dist and upped the gas screw and turned in the air and it idles fine, but i'm getting a tick from the right valve cover, so can i assume that when i lower the advance i have to up the gas to keep my idle, i fear i already done the motor in but i still need to nurse it home... help,,,help,,,,help
joshuas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know where i can find a loaner timing gun in the san diego area???
ed stanley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breather tube should go to air cleaner, no? Why the fan shroud? If the breather tube is plugged, you sure would spit oil out the front pully and all over everything. Check for plugged breather tube, get some more oil in the engine to replace what you lost, clean up the fan belt real good so it doesn't slip. Good luck, and I hope you have a few cold ones waiting for you in the frig when you get home!!
joshuas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

o.k. i'll do that, the tube is in the shroud cause the breather filter i had came apart on me and my air filter is an after market one without the tube, hence like a dumbass ass i plugged it in the shroud hole, so can i assume that at idle it works but at high rpm my shroud is creating backpressure to plug the tube???? could i have blown my rings by doing this...
ed stanley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about this a little more, Josh. Geez - oh man - holy mackeral Andy, if your breather tube is connected to your fan housing, you're getting positive pressure going BACKWARDS into your engine case - would make oil squirt out the front pulley and all over your engine. Should disconnect that hose, and just let it breath at atmospheric pressure to get home - than get an original air cleaner that has the port for the breather hose. All that oil on a hot engine certainly would make plenty of smoke.
joshuas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

o.k. everything is making total sense thanks, now about the timing??? lower the advance and raise the gas to keep idle, i don't have a gun so i'm playing in the dark????
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to buy a timing light.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joshuas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another thing, when i had the advance pretty low at idle i would hold the throttle open to see if it pings and after just a few seconds it would just bog down and start to shut down...
joshuas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know i need to buy the gun, at this moment i can't/ any suggestions on what i can do in the meantime... how do i know when i have it timed too low...
catbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

static time it. If you don't have a test light you can just get a 12 volt bulb and socket and connect two wires to it. I don't know what kind of dizzy you have but i have a 009 and it's static timed to 10 degrees BTDC at 3200 rpm i get 32 degrees of advance.
joshuas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so set it there then adjust the air and fuel, i know this is gonna sound stupid but... btdc is to the left right
bigyellowdogs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're probably good to go now and i don't even know where you are but if you have a harbor freight tools near you you can get a timing light there for $11.
it works like you would imagine an $11 timing light would work, you almost need night vision goggles to see it, but it'll get the job done in a pinch.
hope you got everything all worked out.
Raum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTDC is to the right on the pulley, crank turns clockwise.

There are some aftermarket aircleaners with oil vent holes that you could use until you find a good stock cleaner.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: