Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

External BBQ off the Propane
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: External BBQ off the Propane Reply with quote

I want to be able to run my small BBQ grill when I'm at the beach.So I got all the parts together.I bought a propane Tee fitting and it needs to go in front of the regulator.Adding this will push the Y fitting on the end of the regulator too far forward and will kink the copper tubing.I plan on cutting the tubing off close to the body and add a 90deg elbow pointing it to the front of the van.Then bend a 180 deg bend in the tubing to get it to line up with the Y fitting on the end of the regulator.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

How tight of a radius can you bend a 180 bend in some 3/8 dia tubing?
I haven't played around with it yet so I'm asking here.Oh I did buy the spring type of tubing benders.Thanks

Glenn

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
captainpartytime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought of using the double braided flexible rubber gas tubing? The industrial propane place I took my tank to suggested I use that instead of the 25 year old, aging copper lines. It seems like it would make things a lot simpler.

1982 turbo diesel Westfalia
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captainpartytime wrote:
Have you thought of using the double braided flexible rubber gas tubing?

I'll check that out.I'll go look at Grangers.Thanks

70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Now Were Talkin!! Reply with quote

New set up on my tank:

And tonights dinner:

I had to do a dry run to make sure all is good for Big Wed at San O.

Glenn

70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

70coupyel -

Thanks for the lead to your post! You solved the problem I was stumped with...the copper tubing

It looked like you were having a good time at the So Cal BBQ gathering. I'll have to get out there for the next one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
captainpartytime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Glenn,
Good to meet you at the BBQ the other day. Your external BBQ set-up was so sweet!!! I want to install that T-fitting for an external BBQ while I'm running new lines to my tank.
1.) Where did you get the T-fitting
2.) Why before the regulator? I'm assuming the BBQ itself has to have a built in regulator since most BBQ tanks don't have a regulator.
3.) Do you have to cap the T-fitting when your not using it but still using the stove/fridge?
Thanks again for the help.
P.S. I'm already scouting out potential picnic sites down at Doheny State Beach. Great location with bathrooms/hook-ups/picnic area/surfing/bike path/horseshoes...etc.

Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

70coupyel -

There are occasions that I camp out in one spot for a month at a time and the closest place to fill the propane is an hours drive away. Is it safe to say that you can use that T-fitting to tap a 5 gallon BBQ tank into the house propane when camping for long periods of time?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Taylor L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhinoculips wrote:

There are occasions that I camp out in one spot for a month at a time and the closest place to fill the propane is an hours drive away.

There's a man of whom I envious...
Rhinoculips wrote:

Is it safe to say that you can use that T-fitting to tap a 5 gallon BBQ tank into the house propane when camping for long periods of time?

Yes, it absolutely will work. And, what a great idea. I'm gonna put one of those on mine as soon as I take care of that little blown engine problem first.

-t
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/lp-gas/50525.htm
you can get the kit cheaper other places like Ebay
It's called "Extend a stay"
Taylor L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightyart wrote:
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/lp-gas/50525.htm
you can get the kit cheaper other places like Ebay
It's called "Extend a stay"
I don't think he said what he paid for his setup. I'll almost bet he didn't pay as much.

-t
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taylor L wrote:
I don't think he said what he paid for his setup. I'll almost bet he didn't pay as much.

-t

Good question!

70coupyel, how much did it cost you? Where did you buy it?
captainpartytime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! $70.00 for a T-fitting and 12' of hose? I hope that T-fitting can be made a lot cheaper than that. I guess it's off to the propane store...

70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Hose Kit Reply with quote

So here's my hose story.I did some lookin around the net at some RV supply stores.It seemed like the fitting was going for the $40-50.$30 bucks for the hose plus postage.I went to Long BeachRV Supply to get some propane.While waiting for them to fill me up I was looking around inside.Well they had this kit:

As you can see I paid $99.95 Shocked When I was in the store of course you know your paying too much but it was in my hand and I bought it.After half a##ed looking on the net, I thought $70-80 + shipping off the net or walk away with one. Rolling Eyes

And jezzz I miss half a day around here and you all are talking in front of my back. Surprised

70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other side note is that I am planning on making a small rock shield to protect the copper tubing.Just something simple and just use the front bolt from the shield that is already there.Some very cheap insurance.

70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhinoculips wrote:
70coupyel -

There are occasions that I camp out in one spot for a month at a time and the closest place to fill the propane is an hours drive away. Is it safe to say that you can use that T-fitting to tap a 5 gallon BBQ tank into the house propane when camping for long periods of time?

I'm diggin the marine grill mounting position!

I mounted mine to the trailer, its nice cause I can just throw the cover on it and go/no storage issues, but it has to be somewhat level to cook correctly:

The scavengers always come out when the "srimp on a stick" hit the grill Wink

Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice setup Markus! I cant see the grill well enough, Is that the Magma Newport Grill? I love the Newport, my dad has one on his sailboat. With out a trailer to tote my grill, I had to go for the smaller Marine Kettle 2. Now I just have to get around to tapping it into the house propane!

As I have received several requests of where I got my grill, I figured I would just post it here. It's from West Marine, i.e. built for boats, i.e. $$$$. As West Marine's address directly to the Magma grill seems to change, just go to www.westmarine.com and do a search.

Here are links to Magma's site -

http://www.magmaproducts.com/Products/Marine_Products/Gas_Barbeque_2/Gas_005/gas_005.html

the mount is item E on this page --
http://www.magmaproducts.com/Products/Marine_Produ...5_240.html

Click to view image

Last edited by Rhinoculips on Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a tournament grill from Boaters world. Its pretty much the newport only a little more ghetto, quite a bit cheaper and it comes with the little table.

I like it but the regulator does not work like it should for the price of the grill and the piezo ignitor tip melted and does not work (agian I think from the regulator)

I mounted it by modifiying a spare tire mount, I wanted something pretty stout to keep it from shaking apart or off the trailer, so far so good, made it through some liong bouncy trips!!! I might look into some sort of mounting like you have though, as I just agreed to buy a 12 foot Carolina skiff boat for the purpose of using at alot of our water oriented campouts so my current trailer will not be used as much unless attached to a buddies Westy. The skiff is an open hull center console so I can throw all my crap in there!
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn you guys sre blowing my Walmart special away big time!

70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
Lanval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

70Coupe,

I actually disagree, since your setup is more flexible (heh, more )flexible - get it? Rolling Eyes ); anyway, I was at the RV store over on Sand Canyon and I-5, and saw an interesting, but slightly different set-up:

Referring to your picture, they had an optional 3 outlet connector that adds on in place of your two outlet connector after the regulator. In your current setup, the gas runs through the regulator to both gas lines (fridge/stove) which come off a connector. This connector is also available in a 3 opening setup. I'm thinking that I'll have El Toro RV check my tank/system for leaks, and add that connector on so I have a 3rd option, should I wish it (I'm thinking about adding a gas heater, among other things).

I looked around online for a few minutes, and couldn't find a picture of what I was looking for, but when I do, I'll post it.

Best,

Lanval
captainpartytime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lanval,
For what it's worth, I did not have very good success with those guys off of sand canyon. Mutual propane in Tustin is a great place with VERY experienced (with WESTY's) staff. I think his name is Jose! It's right off the 55 (one off ramp before REI if your heading north).

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: