Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eastern Sierra Trip: Photos
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
snowleopard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Eastern Sierra Trip: Photos Reply with quote

Just returned from a weeklong trip to the eastern Sierras. The Green Machine worked great, even lugging up those three thousand foot inclines to get to trailheads. Here are a few pics:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
This is Gray's Meadow campground, just below Onion Valley. Almost empty for two days. I painted the fiberglass top the week before. It had been a tan color. I thank the people on this site for giving me the fortitude to even begin painting it. Turned out really well!

This is the creek at Gray's Meadow, about 20 feet from my campsite. Full of trout!!!

Other Westies at the Kearsage Pass trailhead at Onion Valley.

Gilbert Lake up the Kearsage Pass trail.

The Green Machine near Tioga Pass just east of Yosemite.

A good time was had and the Westy was the talk of the campground.
captainpartytime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWEET PICTURES!!! I love the Sierras! Did you go to Kennedy Meadows? How was the fishing? Did you end up using one of those coolant additives (water wetter)?

1982 turbo diesel Westfalia
snowleopard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
SWEET PICTURES!!! I love the Sierras! Did you go to Kennedy Meadows? How was the fishing? Did you end up using one of those coolant additives (water wetter)?

I love the Sierras, too. I backpacked through the entire range while doing the PCT years ago and I still have a fondness for them. Been going to Lone Pine for almost twenty years to camp. I didn't head over to Kennedy Meadows...thought about it...but heading from the eastern side over that long road is where I lost my previous engine about ten years ago. Embarassed
I did use a bit of that "Water Wetter" and I think, based only upon previous experience in like temps (it was in the 90s during the day at lower altitude) that the engine seemed to run cooler. Never once had the light come on during multiple long climbs, including the lengthy ascent over Tioga Pass into Yosemite. So my totally amateur comment is that it seemed to work...? After your chemistry lesson, I had to try the stuff!
I was hoping to talk to you today and swap Sierra stories at the beach get together, but I'm too beat after the long drive back. Maybe at the Thursday get-together? Plus, I returned to find my household fridge had died while I was away...with an open can of salmon inside. Very nice smell. It's a horrible day when the Westy's fridge is actually colder than the one in your house.
As to the fishing!!! I don't fish, but so many people were catching trout near Onion Valley, that I went and bought a cheap $20 rig and some salmon eggs, headed over to Lone Pine, took a few hours to learn how to use the thing, and then proceeded to catch a nice 14" rainbow in about ten minutes.
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a trip we will have to take sometime, love the pics of the landscape, and of course your Van too. Wink

The green machine rocks! Nice looking rig.

I recently did a trip through the Smokies and was actually very pleased with how the 'ol wasserboxer faired, no light flicker either, however it was nice to be able to downshift to 3rd gear heading up some of the 6% grades. Hope to see you on the road. Very Happy
snowleopard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to do the Smokies someday. The pics I've seen are mesmerizing, and I'm a National Parks junkie.... Any chance of seeing some of those photos of yours?
kayakwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not to highjack your thread ...but are those 16" GW wheels?

B.5.5 Passat Wagen with 30v V6-67000 Miles

DAS AUTO

CHANGE YOUR FUEL LINES!

A post without pictures is useless

http://www.kayakwesty.com

http://www.waldensridgewhitewater.com/
snowleopard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
not to highjack your thread ...but are those 16" GW wheels?

Yeah.... I love them but sort of wish I had gotten the 15" as there were more options in an A/T tire. I managed to find Yokohama Geolander A/T in a 215/65 R16 but I had to order them.

In a different direction, on my trip I bought an inflatable kayak to do Mono Lake on. I'm wondering what solid body one person kayak you might recommend for a beginner, a sit on top version for lake or calm river travel, with some room for carrying a backpack?

Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good stable, sit on top I liked a lot was the Cobra Explorer. It has two dry compartments and room for diving gear behind you. Downside is it is a bit on the heavy side for that overhead grunt to the top of a Westy. I used mine to explore the Everglades canal system, and feed the endangered Everglade mosquito.

If you go visit Captpartytime in Dana Point, stop at Up Sports, it is right as you enter town. Lots of Kayaks there, it is where I bought mine. Good van repair shop virtually across the street.

http://www.upsportsoc.com/
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snowleopard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A good stable, sit on top I liked a lot was the Cobra Explorer. It has two dry compartments and room for diving gear behind you. Downside is it is a bit on the heavy side for that overhead grunt to the top of a Westy. I used mine to explore the Everglades canal system, and feed the endangered Everglade mosquito.

Sounds good...except for that "grunt" part. What rack system do you use with your Westy?
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not use a roof rack on the Westy, I use the Range Rovers roof rack for that purpose. It raises and lowers itself on command (also requests service on command). I already messed up one shoulder, and do not need a matching set. Things that where easy, no brainer, when your 20 are a whole lot different when your 50.

For occasional use I suspect you could make foam covered PVC rollers to cushion on top and act as a roller system and then use Kayak straps with gutter mounts to secure the kayak In an over the top, side to side and secure the bow and stern to the bumpers.. This is the original system I used when I first got my kayak. They did sell nylon covered foam rolls that you could put over a roof rack or some 1 1/2" PVC to make the rollers at Up Sports, they where about $10-15 at the time.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deprivation
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Eastern Sierra Trip: Photos Reply with quote

snowleopard wrote:
Here are a few pics

What is the little blue tank? Is that your greywater tank? What kind of tank is it and where did you get it? We still have not found a suitable sink-drain tank.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing, your van looks awesome!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snowleopard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What is the little blue tank? Is that your greywater tank? What kind of tank is it and where did you get it? We still have not found a suitable sink-drain tank.

Yeh, the blue tank is my greywater. It doesn't collapse, obviously, so it tanks up more room inside while driving, but I like that it is made of sterner stuff. I got it at an RV place (a reservoir of interesting items for us Westy-ers) called Camping World which has a number of outlets here in California and is available online. Keep in mind, "Camping World" has virtually nothing to do with real camping...just an RV place.

-Richard
rockfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Eastern Sierra Trip: Photos Reply with quote

deprivation wrote:
snowleopard wrote:
Here are a few pics

Either that or a Makita tool case ...

I picked up the collapse-able gray H2O tank from GoWesty - works great and is easily stored when empty.
psych-illogical
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great trip and a very nice lookin' van too. I just love the green Westys. You see so few of 'em.

My favorite boat is a recreational 12' kayak I got from LL Bean years ago. Can't recall the model but it weighs in at right around 40 pounds so it's easy to get on top of the Westy. My wife has a Perception sit on top boat that tracks true, has 2 dry compartments for gear and wieghs about 60 pounds. Takes 2 of us to get it on the van. The other down side to sit on tops is that they are of a self bailing design. There are holes in the bottom where water drains out if you take on a wave. The problem therein is that you're always sitting in just a little bit of water so your a$$ is always wet. I personally don't like that.

I've got a Thule rack on top of the Westy but I've seen Yakimas mounted on them as well. Both companies offer short 'gutter' sections that you can bolt to the side of the pop top to mount the racks. It works quite well but I can't get my van in the garage if I've got the racks on. So far, I haven't forgotten about it and tried to pull in. That would get expensive.
'96 BMW R1100GS
snowleopard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My favorite boat is a recreational 12' kayak I got from LL Bean years ago. Can't recall the model but it weighs in at right around 40 pounds so it's easy to get on top of the Westy. My wife has a Perception sit on top boat that tracks true, has 2 dry compartments for gear and wieghs about 60 pounds. Takes 2 of us to get it on the van. The other down side to sit on tops is that they are of a self bailing design. There are holes in the bottom where water drains out if you take on a wave. The problem therein is that you're always sitting in just a little bit of water so your a$$ is always wet. I personally don't like that.

I've got a Thule rack on top of the Westy but I've seen Yakimas mounted on them as well. Both companies offer short 'gutter' sections that you can bolt to the side of the pop top to mount the racks. It works quite well but I can't get my van in the garage if I've got the racks on. So far, I haven't forgotten about it and tried to pull in. That would get expensive.

Thanks! I'm still looking around. I'm very much a beginner with this kayak thing and I do want something light so that I can fairly easily put it on top of the Westy. Let me ask you this: Can you raise your top with a single kayak on top? Or do you have to remove the kayak first?

-Richard
tsyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ask you this: Can you raise your top with a single kayak on

Snowleopard,
Yes you can, you might need help, though, depending on the weight of the boat. We have no problem lifting the top with a 15' canoe on top, but it does take two people, unless of course, you spend a lot of time in the gym doing military presses.
I got my racks from [/www.telusplanet.net/. A little pricey, but they are the bomb. They even make a rack with a bar that comes out to the side to facilitate loading of your boat.
As far as kayaks, check out norcalkayakanglers.com or www.ncka.org.
Best of luck
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: