Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TDC and distributor allignment HELP!
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dubbin68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: TDC and distributor allignment HELP! Reply with quote

Well i have adjusted the valves before but yet never have ran into this problem...the TDC notch is lined up with the crack in the crankcase but the distributor isnt lined up with the notch

I did the pencil in the sparkplug hole and it proves that my notch is TDC but why isnt the distributor lined up? Am i ok to go ahead and do the valve adjustment?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Dubbin68 on Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either your distributor drive was not installed in the correc position or your on TDC for #3.

It is always best to rotate the engine clockwise until the #1 intake valve dips in and comes out then keep turning until you hit TDC right after that... then and only then are you on #1 TDC... Then you can see if the distributor drive is in wrong....
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dubbin68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keifernet wrote:
Either your distributor drive was not installed in the correc position or your on TDC for #3.

It is always best to rotate the engine clockwise until the #1 intake valve dips in and comes out then keep turning until you hit TDC right after that... then and only then are you on #1 TDC... Then you can see if the distributor drive is in wrong....

ya i just checked im on #3....so i did the thing you said and now im at TDC for #1 and the distributor is pointing 180 the other way still not on the notch...without hve the distributor lined up am i ok to adjust the valves along as i know im at TDC for #1?
Dubbin68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any suggestion?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are most definetly on #3, I can tell from the wires on your distributor cap.

You need to turn the engine 360 degrees to be on #1 TDC.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you watched the #1 intake valve etc and stopped the next time TDC came up then you are on #1

The 009 ( since it does not have the vacuum can on it) can be rotated any direction and still run the engine providing the plug wires are installed in the order to make it run... it confuses alot of people.

I would adjust the valves then go back to #1... pull the distibutor and see if the drive is in the correct spot. It may be correct and someone just shoved the distributor in and then somehow got it to run by swapping the wires around on the cap. IF the drive is in the correct position on the mechanical 009 the notch on the rim where the rotor would be pointing for #1 would be at around 4 or 5 clock. You can then re position the wires on the cap correct.

IF the drive is not in the correct position you can remove the fuel pump, rod and block and take the drive out and put it in the correct position.

Or if you engine runs where it is at you can leave it alone... but I always pull the drive and put it where it should be... a pet peeve of mine is working on an engine someone did not stick the drive in properly Mad Razz Laughing
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dubbin68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
You are most definetly on #3, I can tell from the wires on your distributor cap.

Alright thanks Glenn that did it for me, it shouldnt be a problem that the notch on the distributor isnt lined up with one should it?

keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

360? wouldn't that put it right back where it was? I am guessing you meant 180?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyler wrote:
Alright thanks Glenn that did it for me, it shouldnt be a problem that the notch on the distributor isnt lined up with one should it?

No... it should be a little past (clockwise). That because of the initial advance when you set the timing. You use the TDC mark on the pulley.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

Last edited by Glenn on Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dubbin68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keifernet wrote:
If you watched the #1 intake valve etc and stopped the next time TDC came up then you are on #1

The 009 ( since it does not have the vacuum can on it) can be rotated any direction and still run the engine providing the plug wires are installed in the order to make it run... it confuses alot of people.

I would adjust the valves then go back to #1... pull the distibutor and see if the drive is in the correct spot. It may be correct and someone just shoved the distributor in and then somehow got it to run by swapping the wires around on the cap. IF the drive is in the correct position on the mechanical 009 the notch on the rim where the rotor would be pointing for #1 would be at around 4 or 5 clock. You can then re position the wires on the cap correct.

IF the drive is not in the correct position you can remove the fuel pump, rod and block and take the drive out and put it in the correct position.

Or if you engine runs where it is at you can leave it alone... but I always pull the drive and put it where it should be... a pet peeve of mine is working on an engine someone did not stick the drive in properly Mad Razz Laughing

i have a SVDA but ya the notch is lined up with 2 not 1 so the drive is wrong
Dubbin68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Kyler wrote:

No... it should be a little past (clockwise). That because of the initial advance when you set the timing. You use the TDC mark on the pulley.

alright cool thanks
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I did not see the cannister at first since it was so far out of the pic and partially hidden by the cap.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: