Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The thinner leave?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris181Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: The thinner leave? Reply with quote

I had adjusters installed into my 181 beam. While looking at my Thing Shop 181 service manuel before reinstalling my torsion leaves I noticed that it said that the thinner torsion leave must be on the bottom on a 181. One of the outer most leaves with a detent is thinner than the other. My Dad recalls that with type1 leaves the outer most 2 leaves with a detent are the same thickness.
Upon reinstalling the leaves it was impossible to get the thin leave on the bottom of the stack and have the torsion arms in the correct position. No matter how I did it the thin leave had to be on top to be able to have the torsion arms in the correct position.
My question is why is it impossible to get the thin leave on the bottom, and why does it need to be on the bottom? Is it because the sway-away adjusters are made for type1 leaves? Or is it because of the way the adjusters were installed?
I just put it together with the thin leave on top of the stack, will it be O.K.?
Very, Very stressed!!! Please help!!!
To feel the thrill of desire"
Roger Waters, The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The leafs are the same as Type 1 dimensionally. The only difference is that they MAY have a higher spring rate. Ive never confirmed this, but Thing leafs are a 181 part #.

Biggest thing about putting the leafs back in correctly is to put them together where the pinch points for the grub screws are correct. They really only go back together one way in order for the tapered grub screw indents to work correctly. I cant explain this very well in words, but you should know what I mean if you have looked at the leafs, and you understand what holds the arms to the leafs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris181Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get the leaves in right as far as having the grub screws and arms on correctly. I have the beam all assembled right now, its just that I could not get the thinner leave on the bottom of the stack and still have the arms in the correct position. No matter what I did the only way to get the arms on in the right position was to have the thin leave on the top. The book says that the thinner leave must be on the bottom but not why.
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of what the book says, the leafs only go together in a set ONE WAY. Sounds like the book is wrong. Dont read the book, just look at the depressions in the leafs for the grub screws, and make sure they are in correct order. Those depressions are what the grub screws screw into to hold the arms to the leafs. The grub screw depressions look like inverted pyramids.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris181Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know how it works I have had it together and apart five times. Yes I have found that it only goes together one way. I have it all together and ready to put back in the car, now I guess I am just curious why the book says this. I am just wondering how it will affect the spring tension and what not.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: