Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Painting my stock rims
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbajwabb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Painting my stock rims Reply with quote

My '68 is riding on the stock style rims but theyre beginning to dull and I can afford to replace them but I was just wondering if it is possible to maybe sand them and spray paint them white with a can of rust-o-leum. Will the paint hold?
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spray painted mine a couple years ago, they still look great!
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spray paint and a few coats of clear will look great.

Current: 1972 Beetle - 96V EV
Previous:
1966 Beetle - Sea Blue - 1300SP
1966 Beetle - Sea Blue - 1600SP
1974 Beetle - African Red - 1914CC

Baja Champ SE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I'm going to do with mine. Strip down and spray them right. The PO thought spraying over multiple older coats of paint would work. Rolling Eyes

SOLD
-1969 Deluxe Bus "Warhaul" aka "Project Whitestock"

Air Speed VW Club of So Cal
Member Since July 2007
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MGBaja_Smurf wrote:
Thats what I'm going to do with mine. Strip down and spray them right. The PO thought spraying over multiple older coats of paint would work. Rolling Eyes

Take the time to do your marathon/baja/jubilee wheels right... they look great and last along time if you spray them with real topcoat paint like PPG or other and not just rattle cans.

(older pic scanned in so it's not so great... and RIP kitty... he's been dead since mid 90's)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

more recent sets painted with PPG

While rattle can jobs can be done... I don't care for rustoleum... at least get some Duplicolor or other better quality from the auto parts store and not the home big box store krylon or rustoleum...
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a roll of sheet metal from Home Depot and used that as my masking tool (painted mine with the tires on). Just be careful, it can be sharp. I'm sure there's other stuff that can be used as masking.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bigyellowdogs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also left the tires on. and i used a ton of masking tape. it takes a little while to do it but once you get the hang of it you can get the tape on there pretty good. just rip little pieces off at a time and work your way around. i sprayed them with chrome colored spraypaint i got at kmart and in the little parts where the paint might have bled through i took a sharpie and blacked that out. took some aluminum polish to the beauty rings and hubcaps and for all of 4 dollars my wheels look super sharp again. super ghetto way to do it but they really do look nice.
Baja Champ SE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keifernet wrote:

Take the time to do your marathon/baja/jubilee wheels right... they look great and last along time if you spray them with real topcoat paint like PPG or other and not just rattle cans.

I'm going to take the wheels off individually and spray them with a good quality paint (not just random spray paint). I'm also going to mask off and put the black centers in. Exactly how the Marathon wheels originally came.

SOLD
-1969 Deluxe Bus "Warhaul" aka "Project Whitestock"

Air Speed VW Club of So Cal
Member Since July 2007
pbajwabb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got whitewalls on there so ill probably just mask the tires and if a little white bleeds through, oh well. How much does a good can of spray paint go for? What have you guys had the best experience with?
gatormike69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Powder coat ? Reply with quote

Got a bike shop around here that quoted me 200 to powder coat all four rims and that was with them removing and reinstalling the tires. If ya can afford it, that might be a good way to go. Powder coating is very durable and should stand up well to time and the occasional lug wrench.
Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
big turn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Powder Coat Reply with quote

For a powder coat job, are the wheels sandblasted normally?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prior to powdercoating all of the original paint must be removed-the shop that has done work for me uses media blasting rather than sandblasting. Two toning the wheels, as is correct for that '68, with powdercoating will be expensive but will look great and last. I got tired of the bumpers on my Mexi-which came body color with a black tape stripe in the center-getting scratched up in the city where everyone parks by feel, and had them two tone powder coated. The look great. Sadly, I was in a fender bender that also bent my powder coated front bumper-but that powder coating held up and only recently began to crack a little right where it got bent.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Powder Coat Reply with quote

big turn wrote:
For a powder coat job, are the wheels sandblasted normally?

Every time I have had stuff powder-coated, the items were blasted clean first. My local place will even send tin out and have it hot-tanked, if needed, for an extra charge.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pbajwabb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sanded down my spare tire rim and painted it just to see what it would look like. Ill post pictures soon.
Bugorsh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you powdercoat the wheels, be sure and have the powdercoater mask off the lug nut/bolt contact areas or sand the coating off those areas when you get them back from the powdercoater and before installing on the car. If you don't, it is possible for the lugs to loosen up while you drive which could lead to a catastrophe if you don't notice it in time.
Topline Parts
gcbbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the tires off mine(well the tire store did) used a wire wheel on the ole drill and then sanded after. I bought a can of Rustoleum Automotive grey primer and sprayed 3 coats of that,then used Rustoleum Metallic Finish and sprayed at least 4 coats. I topped it all off with Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamel spraying about 3 coats. Those wheels look better than new wheels I've seen. Especially after using a good coat of Maguires wax. It will also make a big difference if you replace any dimpled or dented hub caps.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: