Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

is there a trick to getting a jamar super shifter set up??
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
twistingawrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: is there a trick to getting a jamar super shifter set up?? Reply with quote

so i have a single seat buggy. and had a stock shift box with a short throw kit in it. i upgraded to a jamar super shifter and i cant get the thing to shift correctly or very smooth. i was wondering is there a trick to doing this? there were no instructions and i have been searching for like 45 min and nobody says anything about it. any help would be great.. ohh and its a brand new 002 trans from rancho with new 1st-4th and its got about 30 miles on it now.. thaks guys Very Happy

RON PAUL 2008!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
K_Yandell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the Empi version of that and had to completely take it apart and debur the machined surfaces. After everything was smooth, I drenched evrything with liquid graphite and it worked great. The shifter may feel smotth right now but when you connect it to the trans, the slightest bur can cause you some problems. I've heard of some people installing the shifter with the trans in first gear but neutral worked best for me. Also, make sure there isn't slack in the shift rod u-joint. Hope this helps...
twistingawrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i heard of that "installing in first" but its not workin for me.. maby i will have to take it all appart and clean it up.. for the price you pay for these things there shouldent be any burrs anywhere and they should come to your house and install it too!! ha! thanks ill look at it for rough spots.. any body else installed one of these suckers?

RON PAUL 2008!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where would the burs be, i have an empi t-handle and im all for making it smoother
travisd007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try fitting it with the trans in third gear, thats how mine was set up
twistingawrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

travisd007 wrote:
Try fitting it with the trans in third gear, thats how mine was set up

im starting to look more towards the cable shifter set up but im gonna play around with the super shifter for one last weekend too see if i can get it right.. so you are saying put the trans in 3rd and put the shifter in 3rd. then tighten everything down and that should be it? ill definatly try it this weekend.

RON PAUL 2008!!!!!!!!
travisd007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the shift rod, trans shaft and shifter are all in line with each other. If they are off by the smallest margin it will bind, I used a 1/2 inch swivel adapter from a socket set at either end, no problems Very Happy
catbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a EMPI shifter and never did get it to shift right. Got feed up and put the old one back in.
twistingawrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

travisd007 wrote:
Make sure the shift rod, trans shaft and shifter are all in line with each other. If they are off by the smallest margin it will bind, I used a 1/2 inch swivel adapter from a socket set at either end, no problems Very Happy

thats what we used on my buddies car but i have to have mine set up so the shift rod goes strait back to a crazy set up that does a 90 degree turn and then right into the nosecone.. im so tired of dealing tranny stuff..blahh

RON PAUL 2008!!!!!!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: