Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

85 fuse panel
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolhandsurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: 85 fuse panel Reply with quote

I have an 85 westy and am trying to figure out the fuse panel 1-12 I understand from the Bentley but then to the right there are 3 of the newer style fuses; from left to right they are 10amp 25amp and a 20amp and then up next to the steering column farther to the right there are two older round type fuses both 8amp. Thanks for the help, Luke
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are refering to spade type fuses, a Previous owner most likely added them, as VW did not mix fuse type in the Vanagons from what I gather. The two additional "older round type" to the right may be for additional accessories such as power door locks, power windows, power outside mirrors, and air conditioning.

Some of the above options were not available as factory options in 85, but may have been added as a dealer installed option.

If you have a Westy, then there are two more behind the drivers seat, against the rearward pillar. These two fuses were for the camping accessories (water tank pump, etc.).

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a copy of your fuse panel:

http://www.vanagonparts.com/fuse_panel_83to85.html
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bambus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucko wrote:
If you are refering to spade type fuses, a Previous owner most likely added them, as VW did not mix fuse type in the Vanagons from what I gather.

Not the case here (US '85 w/ AC). In addition to the under-the-clear-cover panel there are 2 add-on poles for ceramics and 2 add-on Buss-blades in an off-shoot pod that hides under the lower steering wheel nacelle. All add-ons are confirmed factory (tiny VW/Audi castings on the connectors) and are dovetailed to the standard panel. This van had the metal, stamped 'VW Ft Worth' stickers inside the A/C ductwork (just as the '81 van had) when i yanked all that junk out, so the wiring and additional fusing may have been proprietary for the US-retrofitted AC vans (no US-market Bay or Vanagon came from Germany w/ AC prior to some model year i do not know-- prolly 86-- it was all done in VWoA-sanctioned US retrofit facilities (read: sub-cons) prior to true-blue German-fitted AC vans w/ the Behr stuff etc).
coolhandsurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogpilot- this link helped with the first 12 fuses but after those mine has a different layout much like what bambus is talking about. I'll start pulling them and see what doesn't work and then try to find out the correct amps needed, Thanks for the replies. if anyone out there has the same set up with the different types of fuses I could still use a picture, I'll try to post a pic of mine later today. Thanks all, Luke
Bambus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolhand:
one thing i forgot to add was that when i was de-A/C-ing the '85 this summer, i pulled the 2 Buss/spade fuses in prep for removing *all* the A/C wiring. Next time i went to drive at night i noticed i had no instrument/dash panel lighting-- i could not believe the panel lighting circuit was plumbed into the add-on spade fuse poles, but it sure is on mine. I plugged the spade fuses back in and got my panel lights back. Wierd! (good thing i did'nt go ahead with my 'yank every A/C wire in sight' plan)

be cautious--

MRP
coolhandsurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
here is the pic of my fuse panel. thanks for the info Bambus.
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bambus wrote:
bucko wrote:
If you are refering to spade type fuses, a Previous owner most likely added them, as VW did not mix fuse type in the Vanagons from what I gather.

Not the case here (US '85 w/ AC).

Ditto: the '85 I sold had these additional fuses. There was a big one for the A/C and I think the others were for the rear windshield wiper and rear window heater. IIRC they mixed the bullet and spade fuses in separate blocks on mine.

CoolHand: I think if you match the fuses above fuse #12 in DogPilot's link to the load ratings of the fuses you've got you'll probably be able to figure out what they go to. I suspect you've got (or had) A/C and maybe the aux. heater or wiper.
camo westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*85s were all a bit early a bit late vanagons. A change over year.
VW was emptying th part bins, and gearing up for the improvements out in '86.
Does your '85 have a saggy butt? Most do, and I figured out why!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, it appears that a VW dealer added these fuses for the AC and perhaps other add on options? My 84 also has AC (Westy with the back AC unit), but has the same fuse type as the other 12 existing fuses.

oldskewlsk8ter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i don't have a scanner but i can tell you what my owners manual says....you already know what 1-12 are

"additional fuses-in seperate fuse holders at right side of fuse panel....Rear window heating- 8 amp.....Rear window wiper- 8 amp.....Auxillary heater*: Entire heater-16 amp....Overheating switch-8 amp...Air conditioner: two fuse holders with 20 amp and 25 amp fuses for the air conditioning system are located next to the fuse panel under the dashboard to the left of the steering column"
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldskewlsk8ter wrote:
well i don't have a scanner but i can tell you what my owners manual says....you already know what 1-12 are

"additional fuses-in seperate fuse holders at right side of fuse panel....Rear window heating- 8 amp.....Rear window wiper- 8 amp.....Auxillary heater*: Entire heater-16 amp....Overheating switch-8 amp...Air conditioner: two fuse holders with 20 amp and 25 amp fuses for the air conditioning system are located next to the fuse panel under the dashboard to the left of the steering column"

No doubt that these are the fuse assignments, but the question is, were they the newer flat style fuse or the same fuse type as those used for fuses 1-12?

My 84 has the 2 additional fuses to the right, and they are the same "older style" as fuses 1-12. The original poster said his were the newer style. I did not thing that VW would have done this at the factory, but rather a dealer did.

But, perhaps they used up the older, left over fuse panels, and then added a newer 2 fuse holder for the added accesories?

oldskewlsk8ter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucko wrote:
No doubt that these are the fuse assignments, but the question is, were they the newer flat style fuse or the same fuse type as those used for fuses 1-12?

My 84 has the 2 additional fuses to the right, and they are the same "older style" as fuses 1-12. The original poster said his were the newer style. I did not thing that VW would have done this at the factory, but rather a dealer did.

But, perhaps they used up the older, left over fuse panels, and then added a newer 2 fuse holder for the added accesories?

I just went out and looked at mine...I have the 12 fuse panel, then 3 blade type fuses, then 2 of the "older" style fuses with a clear plastic cover over them. I do know that one of the blade style fuses is for the a/c. I haven't gotten around to checking on the others since they all seem to be o.k. Cool
coolhandsurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the two older one by the steering column are for the rear window washer and wiper and I still don't know the exact assignments for the three newer blade type fuses.
oldskewlsk8ter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3rd blade type fuse, farthest to the right, was for my a/c blower motor.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: