Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Pump is very noisy???
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slyder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Fuel Pump is very noisy??? Reply with quote

My fuel pump is very noisy what can i do to fix it, other than replacing it?
Camping in Style Rv
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
ProvoCyclist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bite on this one. Use the search.

Replace your fuel filter.

Past: 1985 Sunroof GL, 2wd, Subaru 3.3L, manual trans, resprayed to Diamond Silver L97A
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change the filter(s) first. If there is a filter between the tank and the pump (on the suction side), usually a squared plastic job, that can get clogged easily and it will make the pump cavitate and get pretty noisy. That filter was discontinued by VW. The pressure side filter is a large metal canister and although they have very high capacity to trap stuff, they can also get clogged and make the pump strain, which will also make it noisy. You may have only one filter, and if you have only one make sure it is the metal canister downstream. The suction side filter is optional but the downstream one is not, if you want you injectors to work properly and not die prematurely.

If new filters don't improve the noise level then the pump may be on its way out. You can test that full battery voltage is reaching the pump and some other stuff, but when the day comes the pump is done, and its time for a new one. There are alternative replacements to the expensive genuine Bosch pump, like a Ford F150 pump I believe is supposed to be an exact fit. BusDepot offers a couple different pricelines as I remember.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slyder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already changed the filter and there was a lot of crap that came out of it when i took it off. If anyone has the Ford Part no. I would like it, otherwise I will do a search for it.
Camping in Style Rv
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
singlewc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slyder wrote:
I have already changed the filter and there was a lot of crap that came out of it when i took it off. If anyone has the Ford Part no. I would like it, otherwise I will do a search for it.

If you have to get a new pump, so be it, but before you do, run the noisy pump backwards for five seconds or so. Reverse the polarity on the power connectors, and let it spit any internal crap into a bucket. Worked for me, on several occasions.

Watch out for sparks, and all the usual precautions around gasoline.

Caveat emptor, of course.

John
slyder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I will give that a try.
Camping in Style Rv
BFLOBUS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That happened to me 3X.. Rusty fuel tank
Bambus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
You can test that full battery voltage is reaching the pump and some other stuff

One of the useful 'other' things 10-cent's ref-ing is an output volume test. See manuals for runtime vs output quantity. This tsting can be done on the bench or in place on the van. Useful for getting a baseline idea of impending drama, noise or no. FIRE HAZARD, either way. Be smart, get a dry-chem extinguisher at hand

In my own years of 2 Vanagon/motorcycle/car experience, the Bosch pump is a hearty, long-lived beast. My 2 vanagons each went thru severe trashy-tank/noisy pump periods over the years, and lived to tell about it. I developed an ear for the pump's racket-level, and would throw in new plastic filters at a moment's notice when i heard it. I've now added the big cannister per $.10's evangelizing, but still run the plastic box pre-filter to mainly protect the pump (its intended purpose). Spares of each of these carried *in the vehicle* is just smart.

Make no mistake: a thorough tank cleaning and seal job is required for longevity of filters, pumps, and injectors. Throwing new filters and pumps on a shitty fuel supply is uber-false economy.

On the '85 this summer i discovered one of the topside grommets on the plastic vapor expansion tanks (the white plastic tanks in the wheel wells) was completely gone-- this was allowing huge ammnts of dirt road sediment and H20 to get inside the tank.

Best,

MRP
singlewc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slyder wrote:

Its in here.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=220736&highlight=f150
brownbetty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys recommend the metal can fuel filter for all Vanagons?

Look out! He's got a towel!!
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: I put a Can in the Line Reply with quote

After tencentlife gave his opinion on the matter, I bought a factory spec 'post pump' can filter, and installed it. You can learn from my experiences at:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=239516

No regrets.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slyder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I took the pump off and found part of my problem. The suction end was full of crap that was picked up from the tank. I think I am going to put a pre-filter on as a precaution. However this now makes me wonder what else is left in the tank.

If the suction was blocked with dirt and almost plugged how much do you think this would effect my fuel economy. I am using about 25-30 litres of fuel for about 100kms which I assume is really bad, I would expect it to be more like 10-15 Litres for 100kms. It is also no good that my fuel gauge doesn't work properly, I think the float is gone, so I have to really track my mileage.

Thanks for the suggestions and help. Laughing
Camping in Style Rv
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to drop the tank and clean it. You'll have to do this to replace the fuel sending unit anyhow (assuming it's bad). TENCENTLIFE just did a writeup in another thread on how to test your fuel gauge BEFORE dropping the tank to get at the sender. It was a day or so ago I think. Do a search.

You may also have dirty, clogged injectors, the cause for your poor mileage.

You already know what caused the dirty, clogged injectors.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor fuel flow isn't going to affect your fuel mileage except to make it go up, as long as you can stand the crappy running at cruising rpms. If the pump can't deliver the volume it should, the engine will show it at first by its inability to make normal power (power? What's that?) under load and in the higher rpm range. At lower rates, the flow of fuel is adequate and running may be pretty normal.

Remember, the pump runs at a constant speed and delivers a constant volume to the injector loop. It's the regulator that decides how much stays, and how much is sent back to the tank, as a reflection of how much the ECU is squirting into the engine. When flow is reduced at a constant rate (in the case of a constant, not intermittent, blockage), the first time it would show up is when the engine needs to use a greater volume than is being delivered. Otherwise, enough fuel is going by so pressure is being maintained and the injectors get fed what they need.

When the pump begins cavitating, though, flow can be full of gas bubbles and you'll feel the results of bad injection patterns pretty quick. The noise the pump makes is often the sounds of cavitation (an induced pressure so low that the fluid being pumped evaporates to form bubbles in the lowest-pressure zones of the pumps guts).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UH60Driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude,
Had your exact same problem last month. Gas tank was shot. My mechanic re did my tank. Now fuel pump purrs. Before I faced the fact that my van had to go in to get the tank redone, I was changing fuel filters at every fill up. It sucked. Get your tank fixed and drive happy.
slyder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what exactly did your mechanic do to the tank that can't be done on your own?
Camping in Style Rv
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: