Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I need a new/rebuilt alternator... !!!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
terryg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
I live in as rural an area as exists in the lower 48, and the town of 10000 twenty miles away has at least two auto electric rebuilders that I already know of. Living near major urban areas isn't a prerequisite to finding independent operators, and rebuilding auto electrics isn't rocket science.

Never said it was, just stating my experiences - just like you are.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seemed you were making the opposite case. You'd be surprised what you can find in out-of-the-way places.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
terryg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
You'd be surprised what you can find in out-of-the-way places.

Thanks, I would have never known....
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When your at a loss for direction, or need a supplier of anything--
The Thompson Directory will send you down the right path---regardless what your location might be.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
When your at a loss for direction, or need a supplier of anything--
The Thompson Directory will send you down the right path---regardless what your location might be.

Now that sounded familiar. Just famiiiar though. Reason is, Thompson seems to be UK based. http://www.thomsondirectories.com/

Do you mean Thomas? http://www.thomasnet.com/

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
TheBlueTurtle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for the late response guys.

i ended up going to a local VW mechanic that specialized in old vw...

i bought a rebuilt one from him. and gave him my old one.. it fit perfectly.. though i think one of the mounting bolts was too short... luckily the mount is threaded so its ok for now. ill have to replace with a longer top bolt later.

i got it for 108. and installed it myself.. only t find out now my battery was too old and i needed a new one asap. so i bought a napa battery... good as new now.

thanks for the help guys im so busy lately i havnt had time to tinker with my van much.. but i appreciate all the help so far.

i will be putting a blog with my repairs soon and photos... come to thin of it. i should have done the alternator one.. but.. who doesn't know how to change an alternator?

so again.. thanks.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<Now that sounded familiar. Just famiiiar though. Reason is, Thompson seems to be UK based. http://www.thomsondirectories.com

<<Do you mean Thomas? http://www.thomasnet.com>>

My error--
I was thinking Thomas--wrote Thompson.

It is a real good supplier source for just about anything.

Thanks for the correction.
Bambus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<Do you mean Thomas? http://www.thomasnet.com>>

My error--
I was thinking Thomas--wrote Thompson.[/quote]

Fred Thompson's on a lot of minds lately. I'm reasonably sure he does'nt rebuild alternators. Not Vanagon alternators at least. Maybe he does Edsels Wink

TK's points on the slapdash nature of most 'rebuilders' is spot-on. You get more 'cleaning' effort out of a cheap rebuild than anything else (and even *that* ain't saying much). A brush replacement is a lucky bonus plan on most of the cheapies.

As the Turtle discovered, yr likely to find *anything* in the box when you get a cheapskate refurb-- wrong application, fubar'd mounting ears, tappings etc.

The other lads' points on local sources for refurb are gold as well-- alt technology is static; same basic principles for the last 60 years. Good local starter/alternator rebuilders (especially the ones that do gov, aviation work etc) can be real goldmines of skill. Hit the yeller pages and make some calls, compare w/ our online Bus/Van suppliers.

MRP
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: