Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 BUS INFO
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: 71 BUS INFO Reply with quote

I was wondering what are any drawbacks or advantages of a 1971 bus. Please let me know anything at all I am very knew to VW's. Even the most basic info will be a great help to me.
Charlie
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: 71 BUS INFO Reply with quote

71 was the last year for the upright "bug style" engine, but it was first year for the dual port heads w/34 pict-3 carb and the "doghouse" or aka offset oil cooler and larger fan/misc sheetmetal...

and 71 was the first year for power assist disc brakes on the front, and for the 'narrow' 5 lug wheel style...
To some these are advantages and to some probably disadvantages... depends on who you ask and what they like dislike personally in a Bay window bus... it has some weird things being a 'one year only model'

By comparrison...

68 was the first year bay window, 1600 singleport engine 30 pict series carb and same basic wide 5 lug drum brakes...
69- 70 were much the same with some minor refinements until the 71 came out.

72 was basically the same bus with the "new" engine transplant based on the type4, the dual carb (factory) 1700cc "pancake" -74 much the same...
75 first year for fuel injection...

there is alot more detailed info out there... www.type2.com is a good source

good luck
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject: 71 BUS INFO Reply with quote

If it's your first bus and you can find a pretty complete one the '71 the way to go. Front brake calipers/rotors etc are some 1-2 year stuff that gets hard to find. There are other details as well but all were improvements (oil cooler/dog house shroud etc). 71 was the first of the practical era, you could go (barely w/ a 1600) and stop (disc brakes) and not have gawdy front turn signals or taillites. can you tell i have a '71?
ekimthemad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: 71 BUS INFO Reply with quote

One of the other advantages to the early buses is that you can remove the rear bumper and panel and pull the engine straight back out the rear.

Mike Paskiet
69 bus 59 single
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: 71 BUS INFO Reply with quote

I have owned a 71 Bus for 7.5 years and have been very pleased with it. One piece of advice though is it's better to pay a little more for a Bus that's already in good condition than to buy one in not so great condition and try and fix it yourself.

I'd say owning a Bus is a very different experience than owning any other type of car but if you think you are up for it then get one. I couldn't imagine owning a different type of car or a different year of Bus.
wgargan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject: 71 BUS INFO Reply with quote

let me say this... i sold my '71 and now own a '73. i wish i had never sold the '71.
lc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: