Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The vintage accessory you would most like to see reproduced
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coad wrote:
The nice thing about the mesh ones (and maybe the other ones too) is that, strictly speaking, they aren't reproductions at all. Aren't they made by the same company in Australia that's been making them forever and just never stopped?

Yes....................that's correct with one style. There is a half mesh half solid Australian one that is quite rare and not "reproduced" as of yet, anyway. I know you can buy the "mesh" ones at large shows like The Classic or even Pomona on a pretty regular basis.
=Petri Nut*1=
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: NONE Reply with quote

I hate seeing accessories beeing reproduced.

I even hated it more now I see that the Becker monza has been faked to.!

People buying that stuff should be a shamed !
Ninamashr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for repro'ing all of them, especially the VDO tachs, that would be cool. After all...

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

People who have original accessories should not have any problems with the repro ones. Originals will stand on thier own as being unique and rare. The repro's won't have that going for them.

There's just one accessory I hope they NEVER repro, those "bug catcher deflector" screens that attached to the bumper, kinda looks like you have a screen door attached to the front end. Confused
steven wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninamashr wrote:
I vote for repro'ing all of them, especially the VDO tachs, that would be cool. After all...

People who have original accessories should not have any problems with the repro ones. Originals will stand on thier own as being unique and rare. The repro's won't have that going for them.

There's just one accessory I hope they NEVER repro, those "bug catcher deflector" screens that attached to the bumper, kinda looks like you have a screen door attached to the front end. Confused

Sure, until I'm at a show with my split that I've busted my ass on and now Gary is reproducing the split radio and Motometer column mount guage holder, Kafer Nostagia is making the glove box doors.......and my dash just went from HIGH DOLLAR to repro SHIT in a matter of minutes to the UNtrained eye.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steven wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The vintage accessory you would most like to see reprod Reply with quote

porkchop wrote:

steven wood wrote:

I'm an electrician....I can't get any more "working class" than that. I would rather sell my kidney or save up to buy the real stuff than put something "fake" on my car. Why would you want to be a "wanna be" or "poser" and buy some repro stuff and do a half ass job on your car Rolling Eyes Some "stock" parts just don't exist anymore so you have to use repro parts to finish a car....and I get that, but to go out and spend your hard earned cash on a repro steering wheel that you "really" don't need, I just don't understand, thats a luxury that is "really" not a luxury when it's not the "real deal"

To some, it is not a status thing. If I go out and buy a repop steering wheel, it's because the style really turns my crank, not cause the elite have the real deal in their car and I wanna be like them. Nothing to do with a "luxury" and what right do you have to call someone a "wanna be" or a "poser" because they know what they like and are realistic about the fact that they can't afford it. Sounds sensible to me. I completely respect the desire for OG parts and accessories, but that doesn't mean to me that the STYLE (not status) shouldn't be available to all.

Oh yeah, I haven't seen these repop, but it doesn't mean they don't exist, but I would like to see the exterior mesh sun visors available. Highjack over.....................

I'm NOT calling you a poser because you want to buy a repro accessory, BUT the other guys that are walking around the show field or cruise night will when the see your accessorized car that has repro accesories on it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steven wood wrote:
Sure, until I'm at a show with my split that I've busted my ass on and now Gary is reproducing the split radio and Motometer column mount guage holder, Kafer Nostagia is making the glove box doors.......and my dash just went from HIGH DOLLAR to repro SHIT in a matter of minutes to the UNtrained eye.

Yeah, but you still know, and the guys that care will know. Everybody else probably won't know what they're looking at one way or the other.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thornton
EMPI Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steven wood wrote:
Ninamashr wrote:

exactly!!

same thing about the 3 spoke banjo's 80% of people would just assume they are flat four

now with the rometsch wheel being reproduced same thing

its annoying
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coad wrote:
steven wood wrote:

Yeah, but you still know, and the guys that care will know. Everybody else probably won't know what they're looking at one way or the other.

Exactly right.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that works both ways: there are people who will pay much more than a car is worth. Are you going to refuse their money as long as you are being honest about the car?
steven wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
And that works both ways: there are people who will pay much more than a car is worth. Are you going to refuse their money as long as you are being honest about the car?

If this is directed to what I said, If someone walks up to me and offers me alot more money than what my car is worth, then that is there stupidity for not doing there homework.
Also, I'm not saying the above repro accessories are poorly made, I've never seen them in person. I just used those as examples because I use to own the originals
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thornton wrote:
steven wood wrote:
Ninamashr wrote:

exactly!!

same thing about the 3 spoke banjo's 80% of people would just assume they are flat four

its annoying

Regardless of what anyone says......reproductions DO hurt the overall market; less buyers for the "same" item, but I have not seen the repros really change the "collecting" market. I just sold a Becker Monza for over $5000. Gary's fake had no affect on my price at all........in fact, I told someone (Henry) who missed out on mine about Gary's and he bought one. He is very happy.

It's all really in the trained "eye" of the beholder. When and if you decide to sell the "real" stuff; you will find the "real" buyers who have done their homework and will pay your price. Gary's material bothered me for a very long time until I realized that there are many people like me who will not settle for anything less than OG and the owner of the reproduction is going to always know his is not the real thing, and he can't "fake" that. When and if VW's reach a concours level in judging, those guys will be giving the fakes away. Until then, knowing the difference is a process we all must learn in order to assure our buyers that they are not being taken advantage of. Guys like Gary, who are honest, will mark their reproductions so no one will feel cheated.

BTW, a real Becker Monza is a very poor radio with regard to reception due to the fact that the RF amplifier stage is usually the first tube after the antenna input, but with the Becker, the antenna signal is fed directly to the oscillator converter stage with no amplification. Most superhetrodyne radios of the era utilized five stages in this process, but the Becker decided on four........... In simple English........it sucks. Very Happy
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
Here you go.......

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=411949

He probably has the mesh ones as well.

.....and the problem with repro stuff from sellers like this is that they stamp "Made in Germany" "Happich" and other original manufactures names all over the repros. So how do you tell some people that their item is a repro?
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa28/in2vws_com/theSamba/IMG_5515.jpg
On top of that, he has a creative user name that is placed in the title of some of his ads which give the impression that the part is vintage NOS. example: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=208043

I am not criticizing the quality of the repros from this seller, just that I don't think it is correct to stamp manufactures names on parts that they did not make or sell.
⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN2VWS wrote:
53 0val wrote:
Here you go.......

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=411949

He probably has the mesh ones as well.

.....and the problem with repro stuff from sellers like this is that they stamp "Made in Germany" "Happich" and other original manufactures names all over the repros. So how do you tell some people that their item is a repro?
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa28/in2vws_com/theSamba/IMG_5515.jpg
On top of that, he has a creative user name that is placed in the title of some of his ads which give the impression that the part is vintage NOS. example: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=208043

I am not criticizing the quality of the repros from this seller, just that I don't think it is correct to stamp manufactures names on parts that they did not make or sell.

I agree................That guy sells more repros than almost anyone. That's why I noted that he selling the current repro now available.

Point of information. They should have white handles.... Wink
HENRY'S 51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
Thornton wrote:
steven wood wrote:
Ninamashr wrote:

exactly!!

its annoying

Regardless of what anyone says......reproductions DO hurt the overall market; less buyers for the "same" item, but I have not seen the repros really change the "collecting" market. I just sold a Becker Monza for over $5000. Gary's fake had no affect on my price at all........in fact, I told someone (Henry) who missed out on mine about Gary's and he bought one. He is very happy.

It's all really in the trained "eye" of the beholder. When and if you decide to sell the "real" stuff; you will find the "real" buyers who have done their homework and will pay your price. Gary's material bothered me for a very long time until I realized that there are many people like me who will not settle for anything less than OG and the owner of the reproduction is going to always know his is not the real thing, and he can't "fake" that. When and if VW's reach a concours level in judging, those guys will be giving the fakes away. Until then, knowing the difference is a process we all must learn in order to assure our buyers that they are not being taken advantage of. Guys like Gary, who are honest, will mark their reproductions so no one will feel cheated.

BTW, a real Becker Monza is a very poor radio with regard to reception due to the fact that the RF amplifier stage is usually the first tube after the antenna input, but with the Becker, the antenna signal is fed directly to the oscillator converter stage with no amplification. Most superhetrodyne radios of the era utilized five stages in this process, but the Becker decided on four........... In simple English........it sucks. Very Happy
Bob is right , I had the chance to buy a real Becker monza from him, but I decided to invest my money in property. I could buy the real "SHIT" If I really wanted to, but I have a family and other reponsibilites...... If you are a real collector you have nothing to worry about. It's like an art collector they don't buy lithographs, they buy the real shit!!!!!!!!Bob knows if I want something real bad! I will pay the price...I have spent over $100K in parts and VW'S this past year..Anyways I love my repro!! Petri Pealit and Becker monza....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No issue there............Henry has stepped up many times and paid top dollar for some of the rarest accessories out there. Henry is a real collector who has his priorities in order.......he only missed my radio by a couple of days and realized that Gary's copy would actually work a lot better in his car. He could wait another couple of years for a restored Monza. Much better to enjoy the car and a radio together. I look forward to seeing his car this weekend.
Rich's 50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to kicking you in the nuts old man this sunday so be ready Wink
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich's 50 wrote:
I look forward to kicking you in the nuts old man this sunday so be ready Wink

You and what army? Very Happy Can't wait to see you and your family Rich. No, just your family.
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some ideas for stuff to repro:

⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is that Lichthupe........? Hornlight?
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

headlight flasher
⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: