Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wipers
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Loaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:35 am    Post subject: Wipers Reply with quote

Has any one replaced their wiper arms with stainless steel arms or chrome arms? Where did you find them? I am looking for arms like this for my 72 Bay because every thing else on the front of the Bus is chrome and because I prefer to be different. Thank you for your replies.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Chrome-plated or stainless steel windshield wipers Reply with quote

Mr. Loaf wrote:
Has any one replaced their wiper arms with stainless steel arms or chrome arms? Where did you find them? I am looking for arms like this for my 72 Bay because every thing else on the front of the Bus is chrome and because I prefer to be different. Thank you for your replies.

Be very wary of using chrome-plated or stainless steel windshield wipers on any vehicle, because sunlight reflecting off their surfaces, can and does cause debilitating glare, which I know from personal experience!

This is also true of other components, which are visible (whether direct or extreme peripheral vision) to the driver, including things like gauge bezels, steering-wheel spokes, accessory ventilation-fan cages, window frames, gear knobs, audio equipment, etc.

Try to ensure that all surface are as non-reflective as possible, which includes avoiding gloss painting of the dashboard. Matt black or satin black finishes, are my preference, for the aforementioned reasons

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get yours powdercoated whatever color you like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TYPE2er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nigel, they are called sunglasses..they work pretty good Smile
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Chrome-plated or stainless steel windshield wipers: glare Reply with quote

TYPE2er wrote:
Nigel, they are called sunglasses..they work pretty good Smile

It is much better where possible, to eliminate sources of glare, rather than attempt to filter out glare, which are never totally effective and also tend to reduce overall contrast and illumination levels. I discuss some of these topics, in an automotive technical article, I have been preparing.

Besides that, when driving, it is illegal in some countries, to wear any form of spectacles (including sun glasses!) which reduce illumination intensity, by a significant factor. In Germany, this corresponds to a 10~15% reduction I think. The same arguements, are also applicable to tinted windows.

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TYPE2er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, but if he (in Oklahoma...not Germany) simply wears sunglasses..(I prefer polarized) he can have the prettiest, brightest, shiniest wipers ever made.

FWIW, Im a courier, have been for over 18 years. I spend AALLLLL day in traffic out here in the warm southern California sunshine and I have never had a problem with my wipers blinding me.

Maybe its because you UK'ers seldom see the sun...and when it does come out the one or two times a years your eyes simply are not used to it Smile
vwbusbusvw
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where would we all be without the infinite wisdom of Mr. Nigel A. Skeet?

And to think, my sunglasses could be illegal! I'm shipping them to NASA headquarters in Houston on Monday to have their UV and illumination intesity scanned, along with the rest of my windows in my bus, car, the windshield on my motorcycle, my wife's sunglasses, the windows in my house, my see-through drinking glasses (you can never be too careful!), and the mirrors in my bathroom. I am also in the process of removing my eyeballs to have them tested in the same manner.

Illumination intesity is a very serious subject - I've had the chrome on my front emblem refinished with a matte-silver paint, the trim in my windshield rubber has been throroughly scuffed with a grinder, and the keys to my bus have been powdercoated black (it makes it hard to put the key into the ignition, but I don't want anyone to get a dangerous glare from it.)

Regards,

VW Bus. VW

Rolling Eyes

OMVWC
Quote:
stuped is stuped duse
dweller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwbusbusvw wrote:
but I don't want anyone to get a dangerous glare from it.)
Rolling Eyes

isn't that the point, so others won't get a glare from it?

We wear sunglasses to filter the glare from sources other than ourselves.

Cool
dp
WestyPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With ya' all the way, Nigel. I do wear my sunglasses and still try to keep down the glaring surfaces(I've no time for show cars, so far... only drivers!)

Top surfaces of my wiper arms are matte coated, and the metal top of the '68 Westy's dashboard is black wrinkle painted(I like 'the look' better anyway). On my coupes & lower riding sedans dark-colored 'dashmat' installations pretty much eliminate the vehicles' glare aimed at the driver's seats.

Big squarish chrome truck bumpers and highly polished rear trailer doors drive me nuts with their reflections of sun and bright lights. Can't believe that I'm the only one that's bugged by them.

J.R.
68 Westy
(+ others)
josh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TYPE2er wrote:
FWIW, Im a courier, have been for over 18 years. I spend AALLLLL day in traffic out here in the warm southern California sunshine and I have never had a problem with my wipers blinding me.

Do you have chrome wiper that are always in your field of vision?

Nigel just pointed out a potential problem with chromed wipers. Take it or leave it.

I don't think it's anything to make fun of. It makes sense to me that having a polished, reflective surface in your field of vision for long periods of time would probably result in blinding glare at times. While driving this would be made worse by the fact that you rapidly change position relative to the sun so the glare would be thrown in your face when it wasn't expected; ie. not wearing sunglasses which can't always eliminate glare regardless.

If I had been planning on chroming my wipers I wouldn't have thought of this and would have taken it into consideration after it was brought to my attention.

Of course Mr.Loaf will do as pleases with this info.
...If If stoner A takes a hit and then stoner B goes right away(not waiting two seconds), he's trying to suck on it while it's still got a vaccum, doesen't get much of a hit at all! Cause it hasn't filled back up all the way yet.

Stoner A is cylinders #2/4 B is #1/3 The plugged bowl is the throttle, the bong is the manifold
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

admit it, glare sucks- shades or not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Chrome-plated or stainless steel windshield wipers: glare Reply with quote

TYPE2er wrote:
Yea, but if he (in Oklahoma...not Germany) simply wears sunglasses..(I prefer polarized) he can have the prettiest, brightest, shiniest wipers ever made.

Maybe its because you UK'ers seldom see the sun...and when it does come out the one or two times a years your eyes simply are not used to it Smile

It's been hot and sunny here in South East Essex, England, for most of the past three months or so!

vwbusbusvw wrote:
Where would we all be without the infinite wisdom of Mr. Nigel A. Skeet?

Hmm! I sometimes wonder that myself!

vwbusbusvw wrote:
And to think, my sunglasses could be illegal! I'm shipping them to NASA headquarters in Houston on Monday to have their UV and illumination intesity scanned, along with the rest of my windows in my bus, car, the windshield on my motorcycle, my wife's sunglasses, the windows in my house, my see-through drinking glasses (you can never be too careful!), and the mirrors in my bathroom. I am also in the process of removing my eyeballs to have them tested in the same manner.

Illumination intesity is a very serious subject - I've had the chrome on my front emblem refinished with a matte-silver paint, the trim in my windshield rubber has been throroughly scuffed with a grinder, and the keys to my bus have been powdercoated black (it makes it hard to put the key into the ignition, but I don't want anyone to get a dangerous glare from it.)

Regards,

VW Bus. VW

Rolling Eyes

dweller wrote:
vwbusbusvw wrote:
but I don't want anyone to get a dangerous glare from it.)
Rolling Eyes

isn't that the point, so others won't get a glare from it?

We wear sunglasses to filter the glare from sources other than ourselves.

Cool
dp

WestyPop wrote:
With ya' all the way, Nigel. I do wear my sunglasses and still try to keep down the glaring surfaces(I've no time for show cars, so far... only drivers!)

Top surfaces of my wiper arms are matte coated, and the metal top of the '68 Westy's dashboard is black wrinkle painted(I like 'the look' better anyway). On my coupes & lower riding sedans dark-colored 'dashmat' installations pretty much eliminate the vehicles' glare aimed at the driver's seats.

Big squarish chrome truck bumpers and highly polished rear trailer doors drive me nuts with their reflections of sun and bright lights. Can't believe that I'm the only one that's bugged by them.

J.R.
68 Westy
(+ others)

I too dispair of other vehicle's polished stainless steel or chrome-plated bumpers, mirror housings and body trim, which causes me considerable visual discomfort at times, even in British & European sunlight. I can try to ensure that my own vehicle causes as little glare as possible, but as far as other owner's vehicles are concerned, the most I can do is try to spread enlightenment, as I was attempting to do in this subject thread.

josh wrote:
TYPE2er wrote:

Do you have chrome wiper that are always in your field of vision?

Nigel just pointed out a potential problem with chromed wipers. Take it or leave it.

I don't think it's anything to make fun of. It makes sense to me that having a polished, reflective surface in your field of vision for long periods of time would probably result in blinding glare at times. While driving this would be made worse by the fact that you rapidly change position relative to the sun so the glare would be thrown in your face when it wasn't expected; ie. not wearing sunglasses which can't always eliminate glare regardless.

If I had been planning on chroming my wipers I wouldn't have thought of this and would have taken it into consideration after it was brought to my attention.

Of course Mr.Loaf will do as pleases with this info.

My 1974 Triumph Toledo 1300 (a close cousin to the legendary Triumph Dolomite Sprint, which donated some useful parts to my car!), was factory-equipped with polished stainless-steel windscreen wiper arms and wiper-blade holders, for which I substituted satin-black items.

The radial spokes of the steering wheel, associated with my substituted adjustable Dolomite Sprint steering column, were satin-finish chrome-plated. Both the steering-wheel spokes and the original windscreen wipers, caused extreme visual discomfort, owing to reflected sunlight, which would have increased the risk of a road accident.

Even sunlight reflecting off vehicle windows and rear-view mirrors, can cause major visual discomfort, but I'm not sure what can be done to eliminate that occurring.

The problem with wearing polaroid sunglasses, when driving a British specification, 1968~79 VW Type 2, is that most of them probably still have zone-toughened rather than laminated windscreens, so one would be distracted by the colour striations, which are visible owing to the revealed stess patterns!

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet
TYPE2er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea yea yea...i know reflective glare is a concern but i think its just being blown a littttttllle bit out of proportion...thats all

Seriously, have you or anyone you know ever been in an accident because of their wiper arm being too shiney? Maaayyybe on a bad episode of CHiP's

"caused extreme visual discomfort"

I mean c'mon...are we talking about sun being reflected off of something shiny or a hot poker in the eye?

and to put it all into perspective....it is probably 20 times more dangerous to use a cell phone while driving...and i bet most of do that with out thought.

vic
cr@M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TYPE2er wrote:

and to put it all into perspective....it is probably 20 times more dangerous to use a cell phone while driving...and i bet most of do that with out thought.

Bravo there!

Now here's my thought process on this:

Now I am assuming glare from chrome wipers would come from the top section of the blade. With my decent knowledge of geometry, the sun would have to be somewhat low to create the maximum glare. At that angle, and with most of us near large cities, something would usually be blocking the sun. Of course there would be the occasional flash, but i personally don't think it would be a continuous distraction. And you can usually see a glow right where the sun is about to blind you, so with the wipers right there, an observant driver should notice just in time.

I think this topic is going a little overboard. Yes glare can be dangerous, but not to this extent. Wear sunglasses (where applicable) and be observant and i think you'll be able to cope with chrome wipers. I prefer my black ones, so i'll never have this problem.

Ultimately though i agree with TYPE2er. Driving with cell phones is much more dangerous and few care about that and do it regularly. If some calls me on the road, i'll answer (i admit it), but i usually keep it as short as i can and tell them I'm driving.

"He who fights with monsters must see to it that he himself does not become a monster...
when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cr@M wrote:
TYPE2er wrote:

Bravo there!

Now here's my thought process on this:

Now I am assuming glare from chrome wipers would come from the top section of the blade. With my decent knowledge of geometry, the sun would have to be somewhat low to create the maximum glare. At that angle, and with most of us near large cities, something would usually be blocking the sun. Of course there would be the occasional flash, but i personally don't think it would be a continuous distraction. And you can usually see a glow right where the sun is about to blind you, so with the wipers right there, an observant driver should notice just in time.

I think this topic is going a little overboard. Yes glare can be dangerous, but not to this extent. Wear sunglasses (where applicable) and be observant and i think you'll be able to cope with chrome wipers. I prefer my black ones, so i'll never have this problem.

Ultimately though i agree with TYPE2er. Driving with cell phones is much more dangerous and few care about that and do it regularly. If some calls me on the road, i'll answer (i admit it), but i usually keep it as short as i can and tell them I'm driving.

The closest city to me is London, which is about 30 miles distance to the West! Our towns have low-rise buildings and there is plenty of scope for sustained glare from the sun, in addition to occasional flashes, through gaps between buildings or trees.

I do not possess a mobile telephone! Even if I did, I would not contemplate conducting a telephone conversation whilst driving; it's far too dangerous as well as being illegal. Mobile telephone use carries a hefty fine and either 3 or 6 penalty points on one's driving licence, depending upon circumstances, so just two convictions, could lead to a driving ban of one year or more! In the event of a death occurring, one could be imprisoned for causing death by dangerous driving.

This also applies to other activities, judged to be a significant distraction, which can include eating & drinking, plus use of satellite navigation, in-car entertainment systems and map reading, etc. It all depends on how distracted one is judged to be at the time and how critical it was to maintain a maximum level of concentration.

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet
Mr. Loaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: wOw!!! Reply with quote

At this rate it looks like I will never know where to buy chrome wiper arms for my Bus. Never took into consideration the fact that I could possibly blind myself with too much bling. Now I am wondering if I should reconsider having my bumpers chromed as I sure would not want to blind an on coming vehicle with a driver on their cell phone. I just polished up my wheels Saturday and now have some thing else to worry about too. I guess that my next question should be if I find the wipers should I limit my driving to North and South only during the day and drive East and West at night when the moon is not full? Thank you for all of your thoughtful replies! Very Happy
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: