Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Ambulance fans" question - reactivated
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: "Ambulance fans" question - reactivated Reply with quote

I've never really understood, why 1968~79 VW Type 2 owners, refer to as "ambulance fans", the intra-duct, electric ventilation-booster fans, illustrated as Item 18, on Page & Frame 104-00, of the official 1968~79 VW Type 2 Replacement Parts Catalogue & Microfiche, shown below!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What I think of as "ambulance fans", are those mounted in the roof, illustrated as Item 17A, on Page & Frame 104-00, of the official 1968~79 VW Type 2 Replacement Parts Catalogue & Microfiche, shown above. They are also featured in the following pictures, of a German specification, 1978 VW 2000 Type 2, Red-Cross ambulance:

The ambulance also featured an automatically deploying, sliding-door, passenger step and roof-mounted, rear, supplementary, turn-signal & hazard-warning lamps.

The pictures originally featured in the following four-page magazine article:

David Eccles, "Krankenwagen To The Rescue!", Volkswagen Camper & Commercial, Issue 8, Autumn 2002, pp8~11.

http://www.volkswagencamper.co.uk

However, these roof-mounted ventilation fans, are not exclusive to ambulances. I vaguely recall having seen them on German civil-defence and disaster-coordination vehicles, which I think also featured in various issues of Volkswagen Camper & Commercial magazine.

I have also amended some of my earlier posts in the earlier subject thread, to show pictures of both the OEM and after-market, intra-duct, electric ventilation-booster fans, plus some of the hardware I used for the electrical circuit modification.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2490036#2490036

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nigel, all the bay window ambulances i've seen( and had) have had the roof fan(2 way. suck/blow in/out) plus the dash ventilator fans left and right.

i don't really see that the term " ambulance" fan or fans is seriously wrong provided one specifies roof or dash.

the term "ambulance step" (under the sliding door) is also not incorrect but since this item was also an option on any bus it could obviously also be termed "schoolbus step", "take granny out on sunday step" or even "short legged greengrocer step".

Wink

WestyPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nigel...

Didn't know about all those automatic electric devices on VWs so long ago. And we were told that Chrysler invented the minivan. Hmmm...

Seriously, folks call the front air duct ventilators "ambulance fans" [I would!] probably 1) out of ignorance, and 2) VW didn't have any other front fans [AFAIK].

Over here in the former colonies, most of our '60s-'70s van-based ambulances were constructed on chassis from Ford, Chevy, or Dodge... all with standard front fan(s) from the factory, usually dual (front/rear) A/C, and 5.0 to 7.5L V8 engines.

For cinematic reference: see "Mother, Jugs & Speed". UK review: http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=10830 No Oscar nominations for this one!

Thanks for the info.

J.R.
'68 Westy
(+ others)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nigel,

Have you actually installed one of the squirrel cage fans listed in your link, or do you know anyone that has. Getting to be that time of year again and I would like to know what really works.

http://www.bluebird-type2.co.uk/heat.htm
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: "Ambulance fans" question - reactivated Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Nigel,

Have you actually installed one of the squirrel cage fans listed in your link, or do you know anyone that has. Getting to be that time of year again and I would like to know what really works.

Are you referring to this entry about the Bluebird Customs, 5-bladed, after-market, intra-duct ventilation fans, on the following link you quoted and as illustrated below:

I have actually made provision in my 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, for a pair of second-hand, genuine, 9-bladed, OEM intra-duct ventilation fans, with the added facility that they only function when the front ventilation flaps are open. I won't know how effective they are, until I complete my custom wiring loom, but the fellow VW Type 2 owner in Sheffield, to whom I sold a spare set of these fans, reckons they give a good air flow, but described them as somewhat noisy!

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, I was referring to this fan. Wondering about the install, how well it worked and how well it handled to the heat.

http://www.bluebird-type2.co.uk/heat%20booster%20ins.htm
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Under-cab-floor, heating-system, centrifugal booster fan. Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Nope, I was referring to this fan. Wondering about the install, how well it worked and how well it handled to the heat.

http://www.bluebird-type2.co.uk/heat%20booster%20ins.htm

To the best of my knowledge, the term squirrel-cage fan, is not used in Great Britain. I have certainly heard of a squirrel-cage motor, but that is not necessarily associated with a fan.

I too am contemplating the retro-fitment of one of these under-cab-floor, heating-system, centrifugal booster fans, from Bluebird Customs. The installation was described and reviewed in a past issue of Transporter Talk magazine, published by the Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club, of which I have been a member since November 1995, but I have yet to find my copy of that issue. A few members were quite enthusiastic about its performance in their 1968~79 VW 1600 Type 2s and I do not recall there being any detractors.

You might be able to find out more, by participating in one or more of the British based, VW Type 2 discussion forums, including Just Kampers, Rusty Bay Owners' Club and others.

Noting that you probably reside outside the United Kingdom, expect high shipping costs from Blubird Customs; certainly a few tens of US dollars, if not more!

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a set of the fresh air fans in my old 72 and they were fairly loud when on. Didn't push alot of air either.

I have been looking around for a set of fans that would really work and be quiet.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestyPop wrote:
Thanks Nigel...

Didn't know about all those automatic electric devices on VWs so long ago. And we were told that Chrysler invented the minivan. Hmmm...

Seriously, folks call the front air duct ventilators "ambulance fans" [I would!] probably 1) out of ignorance, and 2) VW didn't have any other front fans [AFAIK].

Over here in the former colonies, most of our '60s-'70s van-based ambulances were constructed on chassis from Ford, Chevy, or Dodge... all with standard front fan(s) from the factory, usually dual (front/rear) A/C, and 5.0 to 7.5L V8 engines.

Those are massive engines for a mere ambulance! Judging from what I remember, of driving a petrol-engined, Ford Honey RV (large embossed honey bee on the rear panel) in California, in September 1981, those engines were probably pretty gutless. It had automatic transmission, power-assisted steering (exceedingly insensitive), power-assisted brakes (would lock the wheels if one sneezed at the wrong moment), which did ten miles per US gallon. A hideous vehicle, to which our 1973 VW 1600 Type 2 campervan would easily have shown a clean pair of heels.

Here in Great Britain, it would have been unusual for ambulances to have had engines of more than 2·0 litres and even that would have been considered large!

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Aux Fans Reply with quote

I installed a defrost fan in the heat pipe under the floor and yes it is noisy, however ir will work good, pushing heat as well as a defroster that actually works.I wrapped the pipe all in the front with foil bubble wrap and zip ties sealed with HVAC foil tape.I know it sounds crazy, but the heat did improve considerably and done properly it will be a clean install. The fan I used is from Barneys out of Tuscon Az. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: