Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Body work on Squareback
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtixpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Body work on Squareback Reply with quote

Hello all. I'm looking for some advice regarding body work on my '69 Squareback. Many years ago it was hit in the rear end, more towards the driver's side. At the time, I had two body shops attempt to repair it and they basically screwed it up more. You should have seen the bondo that came out! One spot was over an 1 inch thick! The rear apron needs to be replaced, possibly the driver's side rear fender, and some work will need to be done in the engine compartment (like the bumper mounts were torn). What is necessary to replace the rear apron? I have a replacement rear apron (although it is a little banged up) and fender. If you had a shop do this kind of repair, how much did it cost? I know nothing about welding, but hope to learn so that I can take care of the smaller repairs on the car.

This is going to be a winter (or several winters) project for me since I finally have some garage space to work in. I'll just be happy when I can drive it again. It's been over 10 years since it's been on the road!
2018 VW Atlas SE VR6 4Motion
2019 VW Beetle S Final Edition Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the time, then consider doing the work yourself. Check out this thread regarding John Kelly's shrinking disc. Afterwards, I recommend buying John's metal shaping DVD's. They are nothing short of fantastic and well worth DOUBLE what he charges for them. You can go to his website for more information.
gtixpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. What's the general consensus on the replacement panels offered by the Type3 Detectives? Are they worth it? I'm looking at options in case I'm not able to find what I need around here (ie. rear bumper mount).
2018 VW Atlas SE VR6 4Motion
2019 VW Beetle S Final Edition Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: